Oil consumption

glkirk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37343
He’ll just bought a 2011 Audi A4 with tho 2 liter turbo motor.
Timing belt had broke, so planning a total engine rebuild
The seller tells me; there was a class action suit on the oil consumption on these motors
Can anyone tell me what the cause of the oil consumption was and what I should be looking for and what to do different to address this issue?
Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Since this is not VCDS-related in any way, moving to General VW/Audi Repair.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
RTFB and check with NHTSA for open campaign recall and check read all TSB's yet?

So what engine you have in a 2011 Audi A4 with a cam belt?

Post an auto-scan please!

JPPSG!

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
So what engine you have in a 2011 Audi A4 with a cam belt?

Indeed! I thought all the 2.0s were chain driven... :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me what the cause of the oil consumption was and what I should be looking for and what to do different to address this issue?

If it is the EA888 style engine (CDNC, CAEB etc.) it was pretty much modified pistons and rings that Audi were installing under warranty.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Indeed! I thought all the 2.0s were chain driven... :rolleyes:
2.0T Gasoline engines? Nope. Some of the early ones used a belt, for example the one in my old 2006 A3. But by 2011, this seems unlikely.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
2.0T Gasoline engines? Nope. Some of the early ones used a belt, for example the one in my old 2006 A3. But by 2011, this seems unlikely.

-Uwe-

Indeed but also NO EA888 came with a cam-belt.......EA113 yes came in 2.0 too & with cam-belt!

glkirk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37343
Thanks everyone.
The seller (I have not received the car yet) told me it had broken the timing belt.
In my research- I agree, it most probably does not use a timing belt but chains. 3 probably. Maybe a belt for the water pump. I believe it is the 2.0T motor.
I'm assuming I am going to solve the jumped timing and oil consumption problems by doing a complete engine rebuild.
A couple of concerns- I get the feeling that a re builder doesn't hone the cylinders. Also, I wonder about reaming the ridge? The car has 109K miles.
Also, I understand one oil consumption remedy was to use (Mostly) VW pistons. I see that I can buy a rebuild kit with all the parts (Pistons included). At some point, I am going to want to be sure they are the right pistons.
Also, in trying to find the Bentley book, so far, I have only found one that goes up to 2008.
Also, I have not found anything telling me that if bent valves-if guides become damage too?
I know I have a lot to learn. Appreciate all you all's help :)

glkirk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37343
Ok, So I have the engine out and completely dis assembled.
Found 0 ridge. Did see evidence of some sort of cross hatch so have decided not to hone. (from reading about some sort of magical glaze :)
Absolutely no evidence of collision of piston/valve. Maybe change the seals?
So, I bought a set of rebuild kit off Ebay It clearly states that they will be shipped from China. The ad states that "It solves the oil consumption problem". So I am assuming that I am not getting the same defective pistons that have oil consumption issues.
In trying to understand why or why not to change con rods, i decided to get the set that included the con rods.
In getting a quote for parts from local Audi dealership=4500+. Set off ebay 700.
Again, any thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited:

glkirk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37343
So I have the motor out of this car.
I did make sure it was in neutral before so, so I could roll the car outside. But I left the window open too.
The car is outside now and I would like to get the window rolled up as the engine parts wont be here for 2 more weeks.
So I unplug the fuel pump fuse, then i connect the battery. I get a warning buzzer that stopped when i closed the door. The window rolled up half way and stopped.
Now, all i get after connecting battery is; the tack ticks, the electric seats work/slide but nothing else.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Mari

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150535
You should have closed the windows before pulling out the motor... but I'm sure you weren't waiting for this answer... ;) Don't know why windows will not close... think there is not enough power in the battery left...

Back