Thread: VW Scirocco loose diagnostic port?

Post Thanks / Like

VW Scirocco loose diagnostic port?

We're posting this on behalf of one of our customers.

He has a HEX-V2 and a VW Scirocco.
    He's finding that the interface feels loose in the diagnostic socket, and says just the weight of the cable can pull the interface out if the cable is moved.
    Our first reaction was that the interface is likely not being pushed in far enough to latch over the retaining lug on the DLC, so we asked for photos.
    Looking at the photos, I think this may still be the case, but he says it can't physically be pushed on any further:

His suspicion was that the moulded rib between the 2 lines of pins is too long and is hitting the back of the socket before the connector is fully pushed on.
    He has an extension cable which he says the interface also won't connect into flush:

Has anyone seen this problem before, on a V2 interface or a Scirocco?
    He mentioned he has another diagnostic tool which plugs in fine.
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here.....

2. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he has another diagnostic tool which plugs in fine, he could post a photograph of both connectors side by side? Take some measurements with a calliper?
    Golf VII, 1.6TDI BM Ed. 40 - 110 PK

4. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The obd connector has probably popped out of the hooks or the fittings are broken. Let it press the connector from the back.

6. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jacek,

Right, I initially thought the same however .... the fact that it isn't plugging into the OBD2 ext entirely is suspicious. I'm less inclined to blame the car based on that.

Mike, this is one of my V2s with a R-T Extension: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vHgwspAT4vuPT47K7

Photos of the inside of the V2 and the other scan tool may shed light.

8. Likes Mike@Gendan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty obvious that this:

isn't in compliance with the SAE/ISO specs for clearances around the diagnostic port.

For some reason, such reports are fairly common in RHD cars, where it seems the accommodation for the diagnostic port is an afterthought, that's not properly thought out.

If it were mine, I'd take a Dremel to it. (The trim panel, not the HEX-V2).

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

10. Likes Dana, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK so after Uwe pointed out that photo I'm back to suspecting Jacek and Uwe are correct. That car clearance isn't right at all.

Years ago (when the HEX-NET was new) we were experimenting with suppliers for the OBD2 ext cables. The first one I received (test unit) was goofed up. You couldn't even plug it into itself properly much less to a car/interface. So, if you haven't replied yet asking for photos you may ask him if that exact OBD2 extension will even plug into itself properly. If it doesn't, I'm switching my suspicion back to a car-side problem.

12. Likes Jacek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, thanks for the suggestions. It's a bank holiday in the UK tomorrow but it gives us some things to try next week

14. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to a few of the posts here he's found the problem:
    I've finally found the problem thanks to Jacek's comment on the post you put on the Ross-Tech forum yesterday.
    I took the foot-well panel off that houses the OBD2 port and found that it had indeed come partly unclipped and each time I was pushing the Ross-Tech interface on, the actual port was twisting at an angle and the body of the interface was fouling on the trim before it was clipping into place.
    However, the Ross-Tech interface is still a very loose fit but at least the tab is locating enough to hold it in place and keep the connection live.
    My OBDeleven Pro Bluetooth adapter, was obviously feeling like it was clipped in place because it is a much tighter fitting adapter.
    I'm going to take some measurements and design something better in CAD for holding the OBD2 port in place and then 3d print it off.

16. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave, Jacek, Dana liked this post