VW Scirocco loose diagnostic port?

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
We're posting this on behalf of one of our customers.

He has a HEX-V2 and a VW Scirocco.
He's finding that the interface feels loose in the diagnostic socket, and says just the weight of the cable can pull the interface out if the cable is moved.
Our first reaction was that the interface is likely not being pushed in far enough to latch over the retaining lug on the DLC, so we asked for photos.
Looking at the photos, I think this may still be the case, but he says it can't physically be pushed on any further:

port.jpg
incar1.jpg
incar2.jpg

His suspicion was that the moulded rib between the 2 lines of pins is too long and is hitting the back of the socket before the connector is fully pushed on.
He has an extension cable which he says the interface also won't connect into flush:

extension1.jpg
extension2.jpg

Has anyone seen this problem before, on a V2 interface or a Scirocco?
He mentioned he has another diagnostic tool which plugs in fine.

Mari

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150535
If he has another diagnostic tool which plugs in fine, he could post a photograph of both connectors side by side? Take some measurements with a calliper?

Jacek

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=360566
The obd connector has probably popped out of the hooks or the fittings are broken. Let it press the connector from the back.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Jacek,

Right, I initially thought the same however .... the fact that it isn't plugging into the OBD2 ext entirely is suspicious. I'm less inclined to blame the car based on that.

Mike, this is one of my V2s with a R-T Extension: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vHgwspAT4vuPT47K7

Photos of the inside of the V2 and the other scan tool may shed light.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's pretty obvious that this:

port.jpg

isn't in compliance with the SAE/ISO specs for clearances around the diagnostic port.

For some reason, such reports are fairly common in RHD cars, where it seems the accommodation for the diagnostic port is an afterthought, that's not properly thought out.

If it were mine, I'd take a Dremel to it. (The trim panel, not the HEX-V2).

-Uwe-

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
OK so after Uwe pointed out that photo I'm back to suspecting Jacek and Uwe are correct. That car clearance isn't right at all.

Years ago (when the HEX-NET was new) we were experimenting with suppliers for the OBD2 ext cables. The first one I received (test unit) was goofed up. You couldn't even plug it into itself properly much less to a car/interface. So, if you haven't replied yet asking for photos you may ask him if that exact OBD2 extension will even plug into itself properly. If it doesn't, I'm switching my suspicion back to a car-side problem.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
OK, thanks for the suggestions. It's a bank holiday in the UK tomorrow but it gives us some things to try next week

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Thanks to a few of the posts here he's found the problem:
I've finally found the problem thanks to Jacek's comment on the post you put on the Ross-Tech forum yesterday.
I took the foot-well panel off that houses the OBD2 port and found that it had indeed come partly unclipped and each time I was pushing the Ross-Tech interface on, the actual port was twisting at an angle and the body of the interface was fouling on the trim before it was clipping into place.
However, the Ross-Tech interface is still a very loose fit but at least the tab is locating enough to hold it in place and keep the connection live.
My OBDeleven Pro Bluetooth adapter, was obviously feeling like it was clipped in place because it is a much tighter fitting adapter.
I'm going to take some measurements and design something better in CAD for holding the OBD2 port in place and then 3d print it off.

Back