2019 Audi eTron - disc brake wiper disable

bluetomato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407511
Hello,

Before making a purchase, can your product disable the disc brake wiping feature on this vehicle? If not, can a general list of items that are configurable be presented?

Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Assuming yours has the same brake setup as this one, there appears to be an Adaptation channel for Brake disc wiper that can be set to Off, Low, Normal, or Up.

I've not seen a general list of mods for this vehicle.

-Uwe-

bluetomato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407511
So I am completely new to how this works. I look at the code section of that thread and can't quite see how you show the Brake disc wiper settings under the ABS module. Can you enlighten me a bit? Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's something I had to look up in the reference data for that particular ABS module.

-Uwe-

bluetomato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407511
It's something I had to look up in the reference data for that particular ABS module.

-Uwe-

Nice! Initially Olga, who responded to an email I sent her about this, suggested it may not be a setting that could be changed, but she also said to ask the forum for help. So, it seems it's a bit of a gamble whether or not it will actually work on my eTron or not, but I am guessing the part numbers are probably close enough that it might work. May I ask: how do I find out what other options are configurable? Just trying to understand this system better, not trying to be headache here. :-)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Although I'm reasonably confident, I am also not 100% certain that it can be changed.

As for other settings, I would try to find a model-specific forum for your vehicle and see what people there have done.

This isn't a common vehicle, and it hasn't been around for very long, so people's experience with it is limited.

-Uwe-

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The easiest way to see exactly which Adaptation values the control modules in your vehicle support is to look at Adaptation function control module maps from that vehicle. For instance, this is a baseline from golfi_vend's vehicle:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?13027-Seat-Leon-Fr-1-8TSI-MY2018

That exact example doesn't directly help you however you can see what control module map contents typically contain.

Edit. Uwe posted before I saved but I did look in the Reference Scans and Maps of Non-Broken Cars sub-forum however I didn't see any eTrons.

Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
May I ask: how do I find out what other options are configurable? Just trying to understand this system better, not trying to be headache here. :-)
As Uwe has suggested best to join an owners forum, owners tend to be good at finding out what VAG don't tell and then sharing with other owners. Over the last 20+ years of Audi/Skoda ownership I've gained, and shared, lots of information on tweaks etc. on the relevant owners forums.

Reactions: Uwe

bluetomato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407511
The easiest way to see exactly which Adaptation values the control modules in your vehicle support is to look at Adaptation function control module maps from that vehicle. For instance, this is a baseline from golfi_vend's vehicle:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?13027-Seat-Leon-Fr-1-8TSI-MY2018

That exact example doesn't directly help you however you can see what control module map contents typically contain.

Edit. Uwe posted before I saved but I did look in the Reference Scans and Maps of Non-Broken Cars sub-forum however I didn't see any eTrons.

Hello. Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I did recently purchase a HEX V2 device and am awaiting its arrival. I have been brushing up on this information and one question came to mind: the adaptation function control module maps you refer to above, are they read from the vehicle itself or are they figured out by folks that tweak them over time? I am trying to understand how these maps are generated. While I am interested in seeing what other tweaks I can make, disabling the disk brake wiping feature is the primary goal right now. I realize there is a chance it may not be available to change on the eTron, but I am going to be optimistic it can. I just don't know what to expect when I connect the HEX to my car and load VCDS. I am well-aware an auto-scan is the first task to establish a baseline. Also, emailing that auto-scan to Ross Tech support can be of some help as it expands the database of cars.

Any additional information you can offer would be helpful.

Thanks!

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Just out of interest, why you want to disable the brake wipe function? Good brakes not that important to you? You will remember the missing of this function when you try to do harder brake after driving in wet conditions and you notice that the brakes don't "bite" almost at all due to wet discs.

Also, e-tron has somewhat different use of the brakes as it is primarly using regenerative braking with the generators, only by pressing the pedal harder it activates the brakes. So I would see the disc brake wiping even more important function here as otherwise the brakes are not used that much at all and they will corrode. Then you won't have any braking power in the brakes when you need them.

And on a car weighting 2500kg's, good brakes are VERY important. If I would be you, I would NOT turn it off.

bluetomato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407511
The maps are read from the car...

On this website you can find things that might be changeable on your car when the right hardware is present! Sorry it is in German...

https://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-e-tron-4ke.php

No worries, that's what Google translate is for. Some cool coding data points there. I might see if I can collect together some of these from other sites I have found and distill them a bit into a model-specific post.

bluetomato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407511
Just out of interest, why you want to disable the brake wipe function? Good brakes not that important to you? You will remember the missing of this function when you try to do harder brake after driving in wet conditions and you notice that the brakes don't "bite" almost at all due to wet discs.

Also, e-tron has somewhat different use of the brakes as it is primarly using regenerative braking with the generators, only by pressing the pedal harder it activates the brakes. So I would see the disc brake wiping even more important function here as otherwise the brakes are not used that much at all and they will corrode. Then you won't have any braking power in the brakes when you need them.

And on a car weighting 2500kg's, good brakes are VERY important. If I would be you, I would NOT turn it off.

Every other car I've owned in my life doesn't have this feature and I've driven heavier vehicles. It's a solution looking for a problem. But beyond that, it is extremely aggravating to me. Whenever it rains and I am driving down a highway (there are plenty of them near my house), I feel the vehicle slow down once every minute. Audi did a poor job implementing this feature in the eTron and it shouldn't be noticeable at all (that's what they claim, right?), but it is very noticeable. I have felt it in a loaner eTron as well, so it's not just mine. It's a useless feature because as soon as you hit the brakes hard, withing milliseconds any water that was on the rotors is vaporized. It just doesn't make any significant difference.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Every other car I've owned in my life doesn't have this feature and I've driven heavier vehicles. It's a solution looking for a problem. But beyond that, it is extremely aggravating to me. Whenever it rains and I am driving down a highway (there are plenty of them near my house), I feel the vehicle slow down once every minute. Audi did a poor job implementing this feature in the eTron and it shouldn't be noticeable at all (that's what they claim, right?), but it is very noticeable. I have felt it in a loaner eTron as well, so it's not just mine. It's a useless feature because as soon as you hit the brakes hard, within milliseconds any water that was on the rotors is vaporized. It just doesn't make any significant difference.
That's a backward step then as my 2007MY Audi B7 RS4 had disk wiping and it didn't have that issue.

bluetomato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407511
That's a backward step then as my 2007MY Audi B7 RS4 had disk wiping and it didn't have that issue.

I agree, it shouldn't be noticeable but this is Audi's first full-electric SUV and they obviously pushed it out the door before it was fully ready in my opinion.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Every other car I've owned in my life doesn't have this feature and I've driven heavier vehicles. It's a solution looking for a problem. But beyond that, it is extremely aggravating to me. Whenever it rains and I am driving down a highway (there are plenty of them near my house), I feel the vehicle slow down once every minute. Audi did a poor job implementing this feature in the eTron and it shouldn't be noticeable at all (that's what they claim, right?), but it is very noticeable. I have felt it in a loaner eTron as well, so it's not just mine. It's a useless feature because as soon as you hit the brakes hard, withing milliseconds any water that was on the rotors is vaporized. It just doesn't make any significant difference.

I’m pretty sure it’s not disc wiping, it’s the regen that is causing it.

Look in the car settings menu if you can change the regen intensity or turn it off completely. If that makes a difference.

bluetomato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407511
I’m pretty sure it’s not disc wiping, it’s the regen that is causing it.

Look in the car settings menu if you can change the regen intensity or turn it off completely. If that makes a difference.

It only happens when raining, not when dry. Furthermore, when it happens, the power consumption meter, which is extremely sensitive, shows nothing happening. In other words, the effect's energy consumption is not accounted for in the battery management system that I can see. The effect lasts 3 seconds and happens once per minute only when the wipers are active (IE raining).

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Okey. That is interesting. It seems to be a major step back as none of the VAG cars has never had so that I would’ve noticed it.

Back