EPB Function Test

Jackboy96

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=392786
Hi I've recently done rear pads and discs on my audi a5 and followed the ross tech procedures, but when I get to the function test bit it only goes in and out once rather than 3 times. Now my new pads and discs are now over heating after medium braking and am not sure if it's to do with the function test. Any advice would be great thanks. Also no faults or codes coming up on vcds as well.

colin41

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=242997
are the brake pads sliding freely in the carrier? did the pistons push back easily?

Jackboy96

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=392786
Yes when i fitted the pads they were sliding back and forward and the calipers went back easily enough the rear right has been hotter than the left. Before the pads and disc change the rear right was about 100°C and the rear left was about 60°C after a journey with medium braking now I am up to 220°C on the rear right and 200°C on the rear left. Only thing I can think off is the both calipers have seen there day or it's to do with the function test not working properly. Thing is if I sit on a bit of the hill the car will still roll suggesting it's not totally seized.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
For anyone assisting the OP has the CAN protocol B8 EPB system:

Address 53: Parking Brake (J540) Labels: 8K0-907-801-V1.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 801 H HW: 8K0 907 801 H
Component: EPB Audi B8 H09 0100

This page applies to the CAN protocol units: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A5_(8T)_Parking_Brake

Jack, I doubt the Function Test behavior is directly causing any issues. Instead, the anchor surface (where the brake pads sit), the caliper sliders and the caliper function would be much more likely causes. If you would like to eliminate all Electro-Mechanical Parking Brake control (ruling out the control module, motors, etc) you could unplug both rear calipers prior to the next test drive however that will create a whopping list of fault codes in the vehicle.

Reactions: Uwe

Jackboy96

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=392786
Yeah I don't think it's to do with the control module I will double check everything for reassurance. Thanks.

Back