"It's OK to own white cars". :D

-Uwe-

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
for the record, I love white cars. my Golf is not white because I didn't buy it new.

Reactions: Uwe

diskoboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=50403
It should. Diskoboy has installed area view to his Touran and for that area view was not available either. He used parts from Passat for that. So mixing parts from different models should be no issue.

Coding the area view to show correct car type and getting right parameterization to the module is the trickiest part.

I think the module was from Tiguan. At least the dataset in the module is from Tiguan. I’ve tested the mirrors from the Passat And the doesn’t fit Touran.

It should work in Golf as well - just remember to code 5F to a ‘supported area view’ car otherwise the car shows a Golf with a blue text in front of it

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
do you guys know if the Area View control module can be coded for front/rear cameras ONLY?

I would really like a front camera but there are too many variables about fitting the side cameras into Golf's mirrors, and also I am not looking forward to remove door panels again and dismantle mirrors.

I know some Audi cars that come with front/rear cameras have the same 4ch module as Audis with full Area View.

I see in downtime's autoscan the 6C has no label, so maybe it's possible but we don't know how...

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Yes it’s possible to code which cameras are connected. When you plug. Hex v2 it gives you the experimental coding option. With that you can see the explanations to the bits :)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
would you run a test for me? can you code out and disconnect side cameras to see how the system behaves?

I hope I am not asking too much, I hope it doesn't take much time and most of all that it does not screw up your calibration.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
No it doesn’t. I can do it. I know the answer already what happens without trying :D
And my calibration is already screwed as I updated the module from index A to C. Need to do basic settings again.

Anyway, so what happens if you don’t enable or disconnect any of the cameras :
It will show picture from front camera and rear camera, and the side cameras will have an icon of camera with red line drawn across them.
This same will happen if you disconnect the cameras physically.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
so basically I should be good :D

if not again asking too much, can you take a picture of the screen with the side cameras disconnected?

and thanks for confirming that module index can be updated ;)

also, what do I need for just front and rear calibration?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I’ll disable them from coding. I won’t disconnect them :) everything is now in place and getting the area view module is fiddly to take out from the box.

Check this one, this person installed area view in phases :
https://www.drive2.ru/l/547024628078346595/

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
thanks. I just expect NOT to see the tiny "disconnected camera" icon if the camera is coded out :P

I am also wondering if I can find part numbers for just the front and rear camera cables, it would be a waste to buy the whole harness.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I’m pretty sure that is what you will see no matter what you do.

Kufatec sells front and rear camera set and in their pictures there’s disconnected camera icons as well :(

diskoboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=50403
Original cables are quite expensive compared to buying a complete harness.

I’ve got the wiring harness for Passat. Normally there is one cable
in the front bumper, interior, rear lid + 2 doors (5 in total)

I’ve only used the interior + 2 door cables (3 cables). The cables from the interior harness was long enough in a Touran so properly it would be in a Golf as well.

*** EDIT ***: Just remembered that for each door there are 2 cables. One from door to to inside the close to the door control unit and further up to the mirror....

So I’ve used 5 instead of 7 cables.

Wiring harness + Passat mirrors was found on eBay

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
can you help me find a whole Passat interior wiring like the one you linked earlier on ebay? I don't understand german, how can I be sure that it has Area View?

diskoboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=50403
can you help me find a whole Passat interior wiring like the one you linked earlier on ebay? I don't understand german, how can I be sure that it has Area View?

This one has area view:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/263975263248

Look at the white door connectors and all the video connectors within a small area together with the black connnector. Without area view, there are 4 black door connectors. With area view there are 2 white and 2 black

B21-A86-E4-AB2-E-4-CB5-9-B47-21-DE714-ABD6-A.jpg

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
so basically I should be good :D

if not again asking too much, can you take a picture of the screen with the side cameras disconnected?

and thanks for confirming that module index can be updated ;)

also, what do I need for just front and rear calibration?

Ok I tried coding out the left and right camera. Well, didn't go as expected. Both cameras were still functioning and there was an error flagged to the module "Control module incorrectly coded". Looks like it senses if the camera is really connected or not.

But, as you saw on the drive2 ru post I linked, the module works and displays just the camera images that are connected. Probably then it will also work without side cameras.

Calibration though, that is a good question. I would imagine you will need to have the area view calibration plates to calibrate front and rear. Then another issue might be that the calibration conditions might not be correct if there are no side cameras connected.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
downtime said:
Calibration though, that is a good question. I would imagine you will need to have the area view calibration plates to calibrate front and rear. Then another issue might be that the calibration conditions might not be correct if there are no side cameras connected.

yes, this is actually very probable. ok, I am gonna give up for real now. thanks for your time.

sam1754

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=324989

sam1754

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=324989
After a week, I can say Area view retrofit is a success ;).
But I have the same issue with rear camera contrast as Dowtime. Maybe he used voodoo on mine :p !

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Maybe :D But not going to admit that :D

sam1754

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=324989
Well, after calibration done, no more trouble with contrast. But routine calibration is also used to adjust colour/contrast for each four cameras. So if you want a real good quality image, you can't proceed under the sun or maybe in zenith. That's why it has to be done in a warehouse with non reflective light.
I'm satisfied now...

Back