VW Area view compatibility between different headunits

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
All components installed and wired, but I cannot connect to area view unit. Measured that there is power and ground to the area view connector block. CAN should be fine as well. I'm suspecting it's the same issue again as with the DCC when I accidentally connected it to wrong can bus at first.
I had normal rear view camera on the car originally which is connected to infotainment can. Area view unit connects to powertrain can. The can gateway somehow remembers where the unit has been and it does not look for it on different can. I did disconnect the battery for a while but probably it was not disconnected long enough.

The job itself was a nightmare. This is easily on the top 3 of most time consuming retrofits. The aliexpress cable set I bought needs you to cut the data cable and pin it yourself to the door connectors and to not at least make things any easier, the wires are really easy to snap. Also there was not too much excess wiring so especially on the drivers door, it was really close the cable was not enough. And in the end I ended up changing the original door connectors back :) They had nice separate 4 pin row that was like it was meant for this kind of wiring :)

diskoboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=50403
All components installed and wired, but I cannot connect to area view unit. Measured that there is power and ground to the area view connector block. CAN should be fine as well. I'm suspecting it's the same issue again as with the DCC when I accidentally connected it to wrong can bus at first.
I had normal rear view camera on the car originally which is connected to infotainment can. Area view unit connects to powertrain can. The can gateway somehow remembers where the unit has been and it does not look for it on different can. I did disconnect the battery for a while but probably it was not disconnected long enough.

The job itself was a nightmare. This is easily on the top 3 of most time consuming retrofits. The aliexpress cable set I bought needs you to cut the data cable and pin it yourself to the door connectors and to not at least make things any easier, the wires are really easy to snap. Also there was not too much excess wiring so especially on the drivers door, it was really close the cable was not enough. And in the end I ended up changing the original door connectors back :) They had nice separate 4 pin row that was like it was meant for this kind of wiring :)

Right now I'm so happy that i've just bought a complete wiring harness from a Passat with the original connectors. It might have been a bit more expensive but everything is fitting perfect ;)

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
�� I wish I’ve had done the same��

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
This thread is worthless without pictures :cool:
You know how they say: Pictures or it didn't happen

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
This thread is worthless without pictures :cool:
You know how they say: Pictures or it didn't happen

Hahaha... I will take some. I don't have any pictures from the installation. Only from the door connectors. I'll take pictures of the finished product when I get this one working. I promise :)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I also regret not taking enough pictures during all the retrofits I have done. but they all happened.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I give up with this module. I've tried basically everything and the module just does not want to communicate. So I have to believe that the area view module itself is busted. There's no other explanation.

I've measured that the connector has power, ground and there's roughly 3volts between can h and can l connection so the bus is active.

I need to make a reclamation to the seller and find another unit. Shit.....

Anyway, some pictures from the end of the installation :)

The door connector pinning for the video signal :

bJfpwsW.jpg

Area view module and it's housing under passenger seat :

4XyHm5L.jpg

A-pillar footwell connection point. CAN wires connected to dashboard running gear CAN :

858nwd9.jpg

Last edited:

diskoboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=50403
Its strange. This is the 2nd module in one week that does not respond.

If you pay the shipping cost for returning the module to you, I can test it in my car and see if it works.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
so every camera uses only 4 wires, as in +/- and CAN H/L ? that's nice, I believed the cable was shield and the shield is something I wouldn't enjoy dealing with inside the door connector.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
IT WORKS! I don't know what was the thing that made it work. I made a jumper CAN cable and attached the CAN to infotainment CAN instead of running gear. Bingo, unit responded immediately. Then I connected the jumper to park assist module running gear CAN and module was still communicating. At this point I returned the original wiring to the area view module and moved the CAN from A pillar connection point to park assist module. Now everything works.

And, as the unit is from Tiguan originally it does not seem to need even calibration. The angles are correct. But I still want to do calibrate the system to get it perfect.

What comes to the wiring. The shield seems to be irrelevant. There's no degration in picture quality compared to front and rear cameras which have intact cables. The four wires are probably video signal + shield, +12v and ground. No CAN wires to cameras. The area view unit then combines the different camera pictures as one and puts it forward to infotainment. The area view sends the combined picture to infotainment through video signal.
So infotainment unit does not have anything to do with the video processing. Everything seems to be done in the area view module. So I can now verify that the system works with composition media just perfectly. Even the 3D bird view works fine, it does not need discover pro.

Autoscan added here : https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...hp-DSG-4Motion&p=203058&viewfull=1#post203058

And some pictures of the unit in action.

nARMNDCm.jpg

p4v3Tqzm.jpg

h7FCGXNm.jpg

nHeLs8zm.jpg

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I am not sure I understood how you "fixed" it, but I am glad it's working.

besides updated autoscan, I would be grateful if you highlited what coding/admap is needed for area view.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I'm not sure either myself how I fixed it :) I just connected the module to infotainment CAN bus instead of Drive CAN bus and it started communicating. After that I changed the CAN connection back to drive CAN and it still was communicating.
Now that makes me think that maybe the connection junction below A pillar is not suitable from where to steal the signal to drive CAN as the module was not communicating using that point. I moved the drive CAN connection to park assist module, and area view communicates just fine.

If the car has highline reverse camera already, the only adaptation change I did was to change 5F adaptations -> VPS Msg bus from Infotainment to Suspension data bus. And not sure if that's needed either. That's it. Area view has it's own coding in it's module.
Area view replaces the 6C Reverses camera and is addressable through the same address.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
so it would work on the Golf as well, for sure. damn I am so tempted...

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
It should. Diskoboy has installed area view to his Touran and for that area view was not available either. He used parts from Passat for that. So mixing parts from different models should be no issue.

Coding the area view to show correct car type and getting right parameterization to the module is the trickiest part.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Just finished calibrating the system. It was worth it, the 360 view is now much more consistent. There were some small gaps in the around view picture that probably were caused by the small differences in installation position. The system was from normal Tiguan, I have R-Line which has completely different bumpers etc.

ws7ScY1h.jpg

Also tested my new doppler machina for lane change assist calibration. Works perfectly!

4HUv66K.jpg

Angle offsets after calibration were 0.86 degrees on passenger side and 1,8 degrees on driver side. Pretty damn close to zero. With this machine the calibration is much much more easier to do. Trickiest part is to align the doppler machine. But after I understood where to measure from, it was very easy to get it into right position.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
must be the first white Tiguan I ever see. finally some taste in colors :D

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I have black mirror caps as well :) they fit white R-Line perfectly.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
speaking about mirrors, I see AliExpress has mirror bases for the Golf, which are stupid cheap. I might order them just to investigate if it's feasible to install the side cameras somehow.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Try them if they’re cheap. You won’t lose that much.

It is possible to have systems in these cars which were not available from factory. We have BSD and park assist in our Leon. Neither was an option from factory :)

Back