Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VW Area view compatibility between different headunits

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

VW Area view compatibility between different headunits

Hi,

I'm looking on retrofitting Area view to my Tiguan AD1.

Question to anyone whom might have a definite answer to it. I'm this time looking on getting the complete package from Kufatec for example. They sell everything in one set and it would be the most convenient way.

However. They state that the area view can only be retrofitted if car has a navi system. Means Discovery media or Discovery pro. I unfortunately only have Composition media which is a MIB unit but with no navi.
    Why is it required to have navi unit for area view? I have highline camera at the moment.

Any idea why it is stated that navi is needed? I don't understand the demand as you can order area view from factory with composition media unit, no navi is required there.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime
    I don't understand the demand as you can order area view from factory with composition media unit, no navi is required there.
    I don't have the answer but have you tried asking Kufatec? it might be as simple as they have never performed the retrofit on a Composition Media so they are just being careful.

I would like to know more about Area View. it does not officially exist on the Golf, but being MQB there is a high chance it could work. Xagico was working on it some time ago but he never released the information to the public...
    my Golf left the factory with 18 ECUs. now she has 27. and counting

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    AFAIK Area View only came from the factory in cars which had the Discover Pro. So there could be a chance the lesser MIBs simply don't have the needed software bits for it.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    I don't have the answer but have you tried asking Kufatec? it might be as simple as they have never performed the retrofit on a Composition Media so they are just being careful.

I would like to know more about Area View. it does not officially exist on the Golf, but being MQB there is a high chance it could work. Xagico was working on it some time ago but he never released the information to the public...
    Yes, actually I did ask from Kufatec and they stated that Discover media or Discover pro navi unit is required.

And to siLc. That is not true. Here you can order Tiguan without any navi system AND Area view. So according to VW it should be possible but what you wrote is my concern as well. Does to composition media I have, have all the software bits to support area view? Maybe newer units have?
    For now seems there's no definitive answer. 1500€ is a bit too steep just to try out So maybe I'll pass this for now.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Yes, actually I did ask from Kufatec and they stated that Discover media or Discover pro navi unit is required.

And to siLc. That is not true. Here you can order Tiguan without any navi system AND Area view. So according to VW it should be possible but what you wrote is my concern as well. Does to composition media I have, have all the software bits to support area view? Maybe newer units have?
    For now seems there's no definitive answer. 1500€ is a bit too steep just to try out So maybe I'll pass this for now.
    Thats why I prefaced my statement with AFAIK since I'm not 100% sure

I've browsed through a few used B8 MY2015-2016 ads and those which had Area View almost invariably had the old 8" Discover Pro.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siLc View Post
    Thats why I prefaced my statement with AFAIK since I'm not 100% sure

I've browsed through a few used B8 MY2015-2016 ads and those which had Area View almost invariably had the old 8" Discover Pro.
    Yes, that's true. And ALL Tiguans and Passat's I've checked from used car market that have Area view also had either Discover media or pro. I know that the birdview mode in area view (the 3D car) only works with Discover Pro navi.

I think I'll pass the area view upgrade for now. If I retrofit Discover system, maybe then I'll look at this again but for now I'll manage with PLA + RVC combo.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, looks like composition media is in fact supported. Here's a car that has composition media unit (no navi) and area view :
    https://saka.fi/vaihtoautot/volkswag...n-153854/kuvat

8. Likes darkchina811 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    so are you gonna do it? are you sure you won't save money by sourcing individual parts and used?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure yet. It is tempting to add it.

Probably I would save 200-300€ by sourcing individual parts. There’s quite many parts I would need to buy from dealer as well and that ups the price

But let’s see

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    have you made a list of part numbers yet? would you share it?