Golf GTE (2020) DRL activation

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Hi all

I have a 2020 UK spec Golf GTE Advance with full adaptive lighting, inside the headlight there are 2 'L' shape lights.
On a GTI or GTD these lights serve as the DRL and side light function.
On my GTE they only serve as the side light function and not the DRL, I do have both L shape lights installed within the headlight..

I have read that that the function of these lights have been moved from the 09 CCM to the 4B module.
I'm trying to simply activate the DRL function of these lights, and have them function as the GTI / GTD.
IMG-3830.jpg

My car has the separate 'C' shaped LED lights in the bumper which I can control / switch off through the 09 CCM adaptations.
I cant see anything for DRL in either 09 CCM (other than the C lights) or in the 4B module.

Any ideas?
Autoscan and ADMAPS can be downloaded from this onedrive link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvMsIPFrJPaJgeZFSDMtw8nt0mIs7A?e=OhbBVb

Thanks
Phil

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
are you positive both Ls can actually light up into your headlight assembly? I would double check the wiring diagrams, as headlight assemblies are 100% a different part number between e-Golf and GTI.

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Xpower:Hi. Very interesting problem - thanks for posting

I'm not sure if you are aware, but a few of the forum's "Leuchte-nerds" have been discussing the question of the mysterious IDE05145-Light configuration channel (in the BCM) on MQB platform cars that are fitted with LCM s - here.

I have been purely an intellectual voyeur in these discussions - but the underlying hypothesis which has been developed by some very bright forum colleagues is that there maybe a correlation between the setting in this channel and the operation of the LCM s.

The channel above has a value which is 448 x digits long - but VCDS mercifully reports these digits as 224 x hexadecimal pairs (the OBD11 device which I also use is not so quite so kind to users).

The new hypothesis postulates that the values in this channel are allocated as 16 x hex-pairs per Leuchte-set. So, 224 divided by 16 = 14 x Leuchte-sets

Anyway, based on my understanding of this very preliminary work, I have decoded the channel setting in your BCM admap into equivalent Leuchte-set values in the spreadsheet which you can download HERE

To explain the worksheet: This is all new stuff and one of the many aspects of the hypothesis that I believe still needs further work is to understand how the 14 x Leuchte-sets are allocated to the individual lamps in the headlight assemblies. I have done a similar analysis on a few vehicles now and it seems that this might vary with the model car, or/and the headlight type (I suspect). So, I have simply numbered each Leuchte-set in my spreadsheet 1-14, rather than guessing which lamp is controlled by which Leuchte-set. Nevertheless, it is clear from the entries in the "Leuchte function" column that the Leuchte-sets are paired for the right/left side.

In the final column of my spreadsheet which has the heading "Code", I have included the particular hex-pair from the channel setting that relates to each entry in the 14 x Leuchte-sets.

So - how might this information be useful for your wants?

Well, the first task (I think) is to identify which Leuchte-set is allocated to which lamp on your car. From my analysis- it's clear that 6 x Leuchte-sets in the Light configuration channel are not enabled on your car. And, it's relatively easy from the entries in the "Setting" column to divide the Leuchte-sets into left/right side using the "links/rechts" identifiers (where they appear).

Of the 8 x Leuchte-sets that are active:
  • Leuchte-set #5 =DRL function (car side unknown)
  • Leuchte-set #6 =DRL function (car side unknown)
  • Leuchte-set #7 = Left-side, low-beam & high-beam flash
  • Leuchte-set #8 = Right-side, low-beam & high-beam flash
  • Leuchte-set #9 = Right-side, Parking Light & Single Side Parking Light
  • Leuchteset #10 = Left-side, Parking Light & Single Side Parking Light
  • Leuchte-set #13 =Left-side, low-beam
  • Leuchte-set #14 =Right-side, low-beam

Looking through the list above and based on your explanation that the inner "angel eyes" on the car currently operate as "side-lights" (which I understand to mean "parking lights" in my parlance) - Leuchte-sets #9 and #10 appear to be encouraging candidates - maybe?

The second task is to determine how to change the programming. If you look at the "Leuchte function" column in my spreadsheet for Leuchte-set #9/10, Lichtfunktion B is a possibility because its current value is not active and because the Dimmwert AB value is 127 (so, full illumination).

The third task is to decode the DRL Leuchte-command to the requisite hex-pair code for the light configuration channel - which is hex14.

The fourth task is to identify where in the code string for IDE05145-Light configuration channel to splice the new 2 x DRL commands:
  • for the right-side lamp - CAREFULLY look for the sequence - 4B 46 00 7F - change to - 4B 46 14 7F
  • for the left-side lamp - CAREFULLY look for the sequence - 49 46 00 7F - change to - 49 46 14 7F

Finally, a caveat - as I have already said, this is brand new stuff (for me). I'm just guessing!!! ;)

Don

Last edited:

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
are you positive both Ls can actually light up into your headlight assembly? I would double check the wiring diagrams, as headlight assemblies are 100% a different part number between e-Golf and GTI.

Yes, as you can see from the picture in ‘side light’ mode both ‘L’ lights are lit.
The E golf does indeed have a single L and so does the GTE in some cases (year and headlight spec dependant)
Mine does indeed have both L’s

Thanks

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Xpower:Hi. Very interesting problem - thanks for posting

I'm not sure if you are aware, but a few of the forum's "Leuchte-nerds" have been discussing the question of the mysterious IDE05145-Light configuration channel (in the BCM) on MQB platform cars that are fitted with LCM s - here.

I have been purely an intellectual voyeur in these discussions - but the underlying hypothesis which has been developed by some very bright forum colleagues is that there maybe a correlation between the setting in this channel and the operation of the LCM s.

The channel above has a value which is 448 x digits long - but VCDS mercifully reports these digits as 224 x hexadecimal pairs (the OBD11 device which I also use is not so quite so kind to users).

The new hypothesis postulates that the values in this channel are allocated as 16 x hex-pairs per Leuchte-set. So, 224 divided by 16 = 14 x Leuchte-sets

Anyway, based on my understanding of this very preliminary work, I have decoded the channel setting in your BCM admap into equivalent Leuchte-set values in the spreadsheet which you can download HERE

To explain the worksheet: This is all new stuff and one of the many aspects of the hypothesis that I believe still needs further work is to understand how the 14 x Leuchte-sets are allocated to the individual lamps in the headlight assemblies. I have done a similar analysis on a few vehicles now and it seems that this might vary with the model car, or/and the headlight type (I suspect). So, I have simply numbered each Leuchte-set in my spreadsheet 1-14, rather than guessing which lamp is controlled by which Leuchte-set. Nevertheless, it is clear from the entries in the "Leuchte function" column that the Leuchte-sets are paired for the right/left side.

In the final column of my spreadsheet which has the heading "Code", I have included the particular hex-pair from the channel setting that relates to each entry in the 14 x Leuchte-sets.

So - how might this information be useful for your wants?

Well, the first task (I think) is to identify which Leuchte-set is allocated to which lamp on your car. From my analysis- it's clear that 6 x Leuchte-sets in the Light configuration channel are not enabled on your car. And, it's relatively easy from the entries in the "Setting" column to divide the Leuchte-sets into left/right side using the "links/rechts" identifiers (where they appear).

Of the 8 x Leuchte-sets that are active:
  • Leuchte-set #5 =DRL function (car side unknown)
  • Leuchte-set #6 =DRL function (car side unknown)
  • Leuchte-set #7 = Left-side, low-beam & high-beam flash
  • Leuchte-set #8 = Right-side, low-beam & high-beam flash
  • Leuchte-set #9 = Right-side, Parking Light & Single Side Parking Light
  • Leuchteset #10 = Left-side, Parking Light & Single Side Parking Light
  • Leuchte-set #13 =Left-side, low-beam
  • Leuchte-set #14 =Right-side, low-beam

Looking through the list above and based on your explanation that the inner "angel eyes" on the car currently operate as "side-lights" (which I understand to mean "parking lights" in my parlance) - Leuchte-sets #9 and #10 appear to be encouraging candidates - maybe?

The second task is to determine how to change the programming. If you look at the "Leuchte function" column in my spreadsheet for Leuchte-set #9/10, Lichtfunktion B is a possibility because its current value is not active and because the Dimmwert AB value is 127 (so, full illumination).

The third task is to decode the DRL Leuchte-command to the requisite hex-pair code for the light configuration channel - which is hex14.

The fourth task is to identify where in the code string for IDE05145-Light configuration channel to splice the new 2 x DRL commands:
  • for the right-side lamp - CAREFULLY look for the sequence - 4B 46 00 7F - change to - 4B 46 14 7F
  • for the left-side lamp - CAREFULLY look for the sequence - 49 46 00 7F - change to - 49 46 14 7F

Finally, a caveat - as I have already said, this is brand new stuff (for me). I'm just guessing!!! ;)

Don

Thank Don

I have made the changes you suggest but unfortunately there was no difference.
I checked and no additional lights were on the car at all (in case it was a different channel some how)

I also tried setting them to 01 instead of 14 which should be Active 100% instead of DRL but still no luck.
More thinking required for the both of us :thumbs:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
Xpower said:
Yes, as you can see from the picture in ‘side light’ mode both ‘L’ lights are lit.

Somehow the picture did not load. I'll think about it and come back to you eventually.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Thank Don

I have made the changes you suggest but unfortunately there was no difference.
I checked and no additional lights were on the car at all (in case it was a different channel some how)

I also tried setting them to 01 instead of 14 which should be Active 100% instead of DRL but still no luck.
More thinking required for the both of us :thumbs:

Xpower: hmm......... bummer!!! I assume that you entered the magic number (31347) before making the change and that the hex pair did actually change?

I was relying-on this observation from the original discussion in my link

TBAx,

You are correct on changing a byte in the light config does cause an immediate change to the Leuchte channel it is assigned to.

As a test, I changed the Light Function A byte for the left fog light from 12 to 18 and, after checking the related Light Function A channel it now displays Brake Light

However, Somnus's car in the extract above uses the factory Leuchte-sets in the BCM (i.e. the car doesn't have LCM s)

Guess the hypothesis needs further work - thanks for being my road-test dummy (no offense intended)!

Don

Last edited:

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Xpower: hmm......... bummer!!! I assume that you entered the magic number (31347) before making the change and that the hex pair did actually change?

I was relying-on this observation from the original discussion in my link

However, Somnus's car in the extract above uses the factory Leuchte-sets in the BCM (i.e. the car doesn't have LCM s)

Guess the hypothesis needs further work - thanks for being my road-test dummy (no offense intended)!

Don

I did indeed, and I double checked that the hex changed.

vastechnics

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=143747
This has to do with dataset in D7 D6 29 and 39. No coding involved

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
This has to do with dataset in D7 D6 29 and 39. No coding involved
Could you elaborate? I’m sure that in those modules there were no coding or adaptation options. Only fault codes, live data

vastechnics

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=143747
Well no coding is involved. Modules have specific Dataset (Parameterizon). So if you want to succes this. You have to change the dataset and also need to rewire the drl lights.

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Could you elaborate? I’m sure that in those modules there were no coding or adaptation options. Only fault codes, live data

Newer modules sometimes use, besides coding and adaptations, datasets to suit individual applications (e.g. one module for multiple vehicle models, for every vehicle model and sometimes even the equipment level a different dataset is uploaded). Datasets are like firmware, you upload a new dataset which wipes the old dataset. This is quite a step up from coding and adaptation changes, and dataset-related operations can (as of this time) not be done with VCDS. It is very plausible that enabling the DRL function needs a different dataset. When that is changed, coding and/or adaptation will suddenly become available to change that functionality. But the availability of said function is a dataset issue.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Well no coding is involved. Modules have specific Dataset (Parameterizon). So if you want to succes this. You have to change the dataset and also need to rewire the drl lights.

vastechnics: I understand entirely your point about the importance of the module's "Dataset" in determining what can and what can't be changed by diagnostic cables. And yes, LCM s are notoriously absent of any long-code switches, or adaptation channels (at least none can be accessed without the prior entry of any known SA s).

Why then does it appear that the Light Configuration channel in the BCM is programmed differently to reflect the different headlight lamp behaviour on various cars?

If - as you reasonably say - it's all a matter of the LCM parameterisation, why report the parameter switch settings for the headlight lamps (which are directly controlled by the LCM s) on another module in such a way that can be read by diagnostic cables (and importantly, ODIS - I assume) and in a way that allows cable users to change the channel settings?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting your advice (quite the opposite, I agree) - it's just that there are sufficient oddities with this matter to suggest that further investigation might be useful IMHO. Perhaps it's a (not so) simple matter of finding the SA for the LCMs (or, perhaps a SA other than 31347 on the BCM) before getting access to the headlight lamp settings (I'm guessing of course)?

Don

Last edited:

vastechnics

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=143747
Wow Don what an explenation. To be honest I've done a lot retrofit for 8IT to 8IX or 8IU. I have never changed the Light Configuration...

The only thing I do is add 1 wire to headlight as per wiring diagrams. The make some new parameterize in LCM and BCM and FCM module. Then everything works like a charm.

As per your story, you're going way deep in it and to be honest I can not answer this question why yes or why no hehe.

Back