Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: General Corona Virus Discussion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^Uwe: you are not alone at the intersecting point in the VENN diagram (health, wealth and freedom have always been the hallmarks of properly functioning communities - and individuals in those communities).

So, "Me" in your excellent diagram is a very crowded space in these interesting times - as an relevant aside, I suspect that it's impossible to practice "social distancing" in this part of the logic diagram because of sheer number of folk (from every country in the world) that share the very same concerns!

Don

EDIT: example of the difference in views of those in the "Me" space - Trump just announced funding halt to WHO (is a pandemic really the time for brinkmanship?)
    Last edited by DV52; 04-14-2020 at 05:31 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

3. Likes gawied, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Do we lock people up before they actually commit a crime? What would you call it if we did?
    That would be bad. I'm not sure what we'd call it. I don't think being asked to refrain from practices known to spread an unusually lethal contagion, to the greatest possible extent, can be defined as tyranny. Do you have examples of people locked up without committing a crime to discuss?

I do know that when a person, "[in] the doing of a lawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, he causes the death of another person", the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania calls that involuntary manslaughter. You may feel differently. However, if your counter-argument to that can be summarized as "but it's [hard to prove|easy to get away with]", then perhaps your argument is not a good one even without the aggressive contact tracing it'll take to end this.

Unanswered: what medical advice is Free Republic giving you on figuring out who's healthy and who's contagious? Are YOU healthy?
    Last edited by jyoung8607; 04-15-2020 at 12:05 AM.
    Silence gives consent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do we lock people up before they actually commit a crime? What would you call it if we did?

-Uwe-
    I think that a little known author named Philip Dick called it "Pre-Crime" (Steven Spielberg made a movie about it)

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    I don't think being asked to refrain from practices known to spread an unusually lethal contagion, to the greatest possible extent, can be defined as tyranny. Do you have examples of people locked up without committing a crime to discuss?
    The problem is we're not being asked; we're being ordered. There is a difference.

Unanswered: what medical advice is Free Republic giving you on figuring out who's healthy and who's contagious? Are YOU healthy?
    I don't know where you get the idea that I read Free Republic. I know of that site's existence, but it's not one I frequent.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is we're not being asked; we're being ordered. There is a difference.
    Indeed. But this isn't "that one trick Libertarians hate". This is the unpleasant and difficult response taken by responsible leaders in the face of a grave and complex threat. You haven't proposed a viable alternative.

If tyranny is locking up healthy people, I want to know when to unlock the cell. I have no symptoms of anything and never have. I went to the grocery store a few days ago. Am I healthy today, or contagious? Are YOU healthy? I want to know this better solution you seem to have.

I don't know where you get the idea that I read Free Republic. I know of that site's existence, but it's not one I frequent.
    You got the phrase "Wuhanic plague" from somewhere. You didn't make it up yourself. It's a phrase used only in communities who are, shall we say, not engaging in constructive dialogue about this problem. Or any other problem. That's the kindest possible thing I can say about it.
    Silence gives consent.

8. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about "Kung Flu"? It's not PC, but it's funny!
    Dave

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon VR6 3.6L 4Motion

10. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the unpleasant and difficult response taken by responsible leaders in the face of a grave and complex threat.
    So the rights guaranteed by the US and various State Constitutions are suddenly void because there's some threat? Sorry, but I don't accept this notion.

-Uwe-

12. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the rights guaranteed by the US and various State Constitutions are suddenly void because there's some threat?
    Due process of law != void.

Freedom of speech :: Shouting fire in a crowded theater
    Freedom to bear arms :: Nuclear weapons
    Freedom to travel :: Active global pandemic

You immediately did the right thing for yourself, your family, and your business. Why shouldn't others?

Sorry, but I don't accept this notion.
    Your elected leaders are experiencing a complex version of Trolley Problem with their hands super-glued to the lever. You and I both have the freedom and privilege of being in the audience, absolved of responsibility and accountability. You get to use that freedom to say things like "Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny" and repeatedly walk away when the very first and very easiest question comes: "are you healthy?" We haven't even gotten to the hard questions.
    Silence gives consent.

14. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like