Installing OEM Heated Seats on a 2014 Jetta GLI. Do I need VCDS?

angrybacongod

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238646
I am installing heated seats in my 2014 Jetta GLI base that did not come with heated seats. I acquired the interior out a 2014 GLI Autobahn which has heated leatherette.

I acquired the wiring harness from a very knowledgable member on VW vortex and wired the car up. I wired up power from the fuse box and also wired in the CCM so that the car recognized that it has heated seats (per instructions).

I replaced the A/C control module with one that has the heated seats button and wired that up too.

After installing the seats, all the new power functions (recline, back forth, up down) work, but the seats do not get warm. The A/C control module lights up correctly but the seats will not warm up.

I measured the voltage and both seats are getting power that changes as you would expect when the level of seat heat is raised and lowered.

So right now I think that I may need to code the car with VCDS so I had a few questions.

1) On my 2014 Jetta, is there an option on coding to enable heated seats?
2) Does this option need to be enabled to make this work? Guy I got harness from seemed to think it was plug & play.
3) If there is an option for this, could someone tell me what submenu it is in?
4) Any other advice from anyone?

Im a little hesitant to mess with the coding myself but there really is nobody in my area that has a VCDS that can help so I may have to teach myself.

I appreciate the help.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is this car still stock? If so, make and save an auto-scan in that condition!

Then post it here. That way people can see exactly what control modules are installed in your car and how they're configured.

-Uwe-

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
On older models there is a bit for enabling Seat heating in CECM. I guess newer don't differ on that.

angrybacongod

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238646
OK I think I may just bite the bullet here and pickup my own VDCS. Its too much hassle trying to find someone close. SO let me ask a few questions:

1) I entered my vin and both the Micro CAN and Hex-Can series are an option. I would prefer the MicroCan due to price, but will I still be able to access the Central Electrical and other modules with this device? I don't anticipate doing any heavy duty mechanic type work on my car, just diagnosing. You can see above by my post what the pressing issue is at the moment.

2) Will I be able to reset airbag lights with either of the devices. (I unplugged a connector without disconnecting battery... silly I know)

3) If I sold the device once finished with it, would the purchaser have to pay for another software license or are they transferable as long as your in possession of the cable?.

Thanks!

This project of mine has been a hassle, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

angrybacongod

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238646
OH, and if somebody could tell me which module to access for seat heat activation, that would also be great.

I search quite a bit but cant seem to find that.

Assuming that the seat heaters are plug & play, the VCDS scan should tell me what they problem is correct?

Excuse my noobness.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
1) I entered my vin and both the Micro CAN ..... will I still be able to access the Central Electrical and other modules with this device?
The software is the same. The difference in the interface is the model year coverage. Yes, you will still be able to access the modules.

2) Will I be able to reset airbag lights with either of the devices. (I unplugged a connector without disconnecting battery... silly I know)
As above, yes, the MicroCAN will allow you to clear airbag faults.

3) If I sold the device once finished with it, would the purchaser have to pay for another software license or are they transferable as long as your in possession of the cable?.
While the new user can use the MicroCAN and download the software, they will not be recognized as the licensed user so they will not receive any support, any upgrades, any privileges extended to registered users until such time as the register their purchase by paying a $99 fee.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
OH, and if somebody could tell me which module to access for seat heat activation, that would also be great.

Excuse my noobness.
Noobness excused... post the Autoscan requested by Uwe.

angrybacongod

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238646
Just thought i would update this thread in case people had problems in future.

Received my micro-CAN today and coded the car for heated seats.

Its under 09-Central Electric

16321825837_17ccc99a6d_z.jpg

Now it works like a charm!

DanielVCDS

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=117212 (NRRT)
Hello,

I'm doing this retrofit into a Golf MK7. Can you tell me how you wired this? and especially the fuse wire for the seat heating.

Let me know!

6boki6

Reaction score
Hello,

Does someone have instructions for wiring harness to Jetta in steps ? I know I need new A/C control module and seats with heaters, but what else ? From where should I get harness ?

Best regards.

Back