Allegedly Assembled in USA in GA, however, with who's stamped Fortune Cookie Steel?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
This issue with the steel on decks of these mowers failing on lawn tractor or push type mowers is pervasive huh?

After having to weld up a few for people and now two of my own and one for my brother & not too long ago, I see a pattern behavior warranted of a safety recall or class action, how about you?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
PICTURE TIME............

REMOVE ENGINE TO INSPECT DAMAGE AND WTF HAPPENED AND WHY!

1-remove-engine-IMG-20200420-131917.jpg

2-ENGINE-REMOVED-INSPECT-IMG-20200420-132115.jpg

SURMISE CRACKS START GRINDING AND SEE BOLT SHADOW WTF
3-GRIND-INSPECT-FOR-CRACKS-UNDER-PAINT-IMG-20200420-132121.jpg
4-POINT-OUT-SHADOW-OF-POSSIBLE-NO-BOLT-IMG-20200420-132126.jpg

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
INSPECT ENGINE HOLE AND IS NOT THREADED BUT GOES THROUGH AND CAN BE NUTTED WITH BOLT IF HOLE DRILLED.

5-INSPECT-ENGINE-FIND-NO-THREADS-BUT-HOLE-GOES-CLEAR-THROUGH-FOR-NUTIMG-20200420-132139.jpg

REMOVE EAR TO GRIND DEBURR AND FIT THE PUZZLE PIECE.

6-REMOVE-EAR-ON-ENGINE-TO-GRIND-AND-FIT-AS-PUZZLE-IMG-20200420-132145.jpg

PUZZLE PIECE MISSING i GUESS WE WILL FILL IT AND REINFORCE UNDERSIDE & DRILL NEW HOLE!

7-FIT-PUZZLE-PIECE.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
HMMMMM

8-FIT-AND-SURMISE-HOLE-TO-FILL-IMG-20200420-134228.jpg

TIME TO TACK UP AND FILL SOME CRACKS.......

9-COMMENCE-FILL-CRACKS-AND-PUZZLE-IMG-20200420-135017.jpg

SURMISE WASHER SIZE TOP SIDE TO BE PLACED UNDERSIDE TO KEEP DECK CONSISTENT.

MASK UP TO HIDE THE UGLY!

10-OBSERVE-WASHER-SIZE-TO-HOLD-UNDERSIDE-AND-WELD-CLEAR-THROUGH-FREEHANDIMG-20200420-135313.jpg
11-MASK-UP-TO-HIDE-MUG-IMG-20200420-135427.jpg

FREEHAND MAJESTIC WORKING IT HOT!

12-WASHER-IMG-20200420-135445.jpg
14-YEAH-BITCH-THATS-FREEHAND-IMG-20200420-135833.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
This happened because they didn't triangulate the mount point's of motor to deck or have a lip to marry the engine to deck.

Just no sense at all!

Reactions: Uwe

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Nice post, Jack! :thumbs:
The same happens in Europe, not only in US :D
I have welded similar cracks a lot. For myself I made circular reinforcement plate from 3mm steel and welded it to deck from underside.
I guess problem is in some miss-communication between manufacturers of lawn mover "bodies" and manufacturers of engines. Mainly there are 3 main engine manufacturers in the world: Briggs&Stratton, Tecumseh and Honda. But almost every known garden equipment manufacturer want to have lawn movers with their own brand. So they make their own "body" (or order it it China, maybe), paint their logo on it and install engine from one of suppliers named before. But fixing points are not the same for every engine. For example Stiga branded body has 6 or 8 holes for engine mounting, only 3 are used. Unneeded holes speeds up cracking process, of course.
Another thing that speeds up cracking is excessive vibration, if someone continues to use lawn mower with bent crankshaft after hitting a stone...
'

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah the thing is two years old and already showing signs of perforation.
A lawnmower is expected to deal with vibration from grass.
Inadequate thickness and mounts are just not in the spirit of safety when a prop blade is turning.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I should add that the deflector for grass clippings is from an old 1980's lawn mower, yes out of garbage, because the plastic one kept falling off within first 5 mows from vibration.

So I did an Immobilizer Solutions data transfer for induced FOD & to not take FOD grass clippings or rocks in my mouth, well you know for an even uglier perspective, well potentially anyway.

Somethings should not be just made with a looks good from my house perspective.

I have yet to plastic weld the one on there now since pretty beat, maybe I will or just make one of metal.

Carb has to be removed & too clean the main jet, since SMOG ethanol fuel has done it's magic calcification or crystallization.

Usually I run the mower till the tank is dry then run on choke too finish it, however, this was put away wet last year after the report I was informed of for aforementioned repair in thread.

Shame...... Husqvarna was a favorite for me & for most equipment in past or off road bikes, now it's just a name & attached too a steaming land mine pile in the lawn!

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Shame...... Husqvarna was a favorite for me & for most equipment in past or off road bikes, now it's just a name & attached too a steaming land mine pile in the lawn!
I think this is a problem with just about any of the previously reputable brands that are now sold by the big-box stores like Home Depot or Lowes. Those chains beat up the manufacturers for price, and the manufacturers comply with "cost control" measures.

I've found the same sort of thing true of more mundane stuff too. Need to replace the metal trap under your kitchen sink? Compare what you get from Home Depot or Lowes with what you get at a proper plumbing supply house. There's a noticeable in the thickness of the metal and general quality.

FWIW, we've been using this mower for well over 25 years now and very little has broken, by the very front of the deck does have some rust perforation now.

mfYabZX.jpg

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Plate it up!
From mailbox to the lawnmower or any home appliance, it's all the same.

The reason I call it all Fortune cookie steel, because you never know what the future will be and it always breaks the same way as the cookie.

Did you know, Fortune cookie steel say, useful life only as good as the day you buy it, don't worry we sell you more next week, order take about ten minutes I get right to you and it come with bonus free N95 mask and gloves too & to move it since paint is coated with cancer causing lead like children toys and poisoned dog food, you want baby formula?

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515

For myself I have found that for Husqvarna 1/4 or even 1/3 of price is just because of it's famous brand name...
For example, I have Italian OleoMac 956 chain saw. When I bought it 15 years ago it was 1/3 cheaper then Husqvarna chain saw with similar displacement and power. And it's engine is developed by Husqvarna. Italians just bought rights to produce it. Nothing broken for all 15 years. And it was used not only for cutting some branches in the garden :cool:
forest-logging_Peter_Turander_Azote.jpg

Picture is from Google, but illustrates for what type of work I have used it on weekends ;)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah I have a plastic shelf I bought in Sam's club 25 years ago too and it still stands straight and without a bow in it.

Try to find it now built of same quality and it's unobtainable!

The Craftsman tractor I got out of garbage last year came with a bagger bucket set was built in 1991 and is amazingly built better than the H tractor I bought 4 years ago.

I'm considering installing electronic hydraulic power steering from VAG or a later ATV.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well I took CARB off today and it was filled with Ethanol shit paste residue & plugging up main jet as it pools at very bottom of float bowl.

Still didn't plastic weld the grass deflector but soon.
Runs nice now and engine no longer jumps around!

I reused everything except air cleaner!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
AS YOU CAN SEE I'M MOWING GRASS AGAIN....

1-IMG-20200519-173845.jpg

OKAY PREP TIME ON PLASTIC WELDER PREHEAT !
MAN THIS TOOL HAS SAVED ME SO MUCH MONEY OVER LAST 30 YEARS AND CONSUMERS!

2-IMG-20200519-173905.jpg

THAT CRACK IS OUT OF CONTROL.......

3-IMG-20200519-173855.jpg

DISHES ARE DONE

4-IMG-20200519-175957.jpg

GOOD ENOUGH FOR LAWN MOWER CLIPPINGS

5-IMG-20200519-180002.jpg

dafrazi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=173774
If you can get by that guy's shtick, his videos tend to be well done.

Back