Golf mk5 2008 diesel cranks but won't start

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I will read now about the gulf rig, was that the BP one. That sounds interesting. Most tech’s will have a memory of when a diesel runs off uncontrollably on its own lubricating oil while sitting on the ramp above you so you can’t even try to stall the thing. Try explaining that to the customer. A compression ignition engine will quite efficiently run on pulverised coal dust or anything else that will burn.

Vasco may have used diesel starting spray to get the vehicle to run but hair spray or air freshener would even have worked, only If needs must. Anything flammable it’s the control that’s the thing. Easy start is a brand name. But if I remember is Ether. And is almost too strong. Fine for starting an old cement mixer but a little to violent for a modern car. Every week at least one diesel arrives after being at another shop with that unmistakeable smell of easy start and a pile of replaced parts.

Old time diesel engines in Germany ran on a gasoline carburetor to start them cold and then you switched over to diesel back before glow elements.

I absolutely love diesel engines, well any engine really and marvel at all the different designs.

I have even built engines that dont exist in the public eye and destroyed a bunch too experimenting. :p

Believe it or not soot runs well!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_explosion

Blowout

On September 8, BP published a report that suggested that the ignition source was the released gas entering the air intakes of the diesel generators, and engulfing the deck area where the exhaust outlets for the main generators were emitting hot exhaust gas.[SUP][45][/SUP]

Pinpointdiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90374
Wait. If I sprinkle some coal dust in a jar with a tight fitting piston. That’s the low compression. Then I thump the top of the piston down with my hand, that’s the high compression, that’s diesel. Is it not.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Wait. If I sprinkle some coal dust in a jar with a tight fitting piston. That’s the low compression. Then I thump the top of the piston down with my hand, that’s the high compression, that’s diesel. Is it not.

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/04/business/gm-displays-car-fueled-with-coal-dust.html

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jchem/2016/9452303/

https://www.researchgate.net/public...st_Wettability_Based_on_Surface_Contact_Angle

oh oh 1911 my favorite !
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/UserFiles/works/pdfs/bul020.pdf

Got any candles and a ouija bread board, lets channel Rudolph :rolleyes: and ask him?

I suspect you got into the hefe for more than a few....

widmer-hefe.jpg

Last edited:

Pinpointdiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90374
That’s a brilliant video. You can see the rear brakes lighting up as he’s trying to stall the run a way engine.
I’ve only had one about fifteen years ago. 1990s tdi golf came in with lack of boost pressure. The customer walked away and within a few min it’s I found a split pipe in the vacuum system. Fixed it then took it for a short test drive and was pleased to a find a newly working turbo and boom. I stopped and it kept going.
By the time it got to 3 thousand rpm I had the key out. And I remember looking at the key and thinking WTF. But by that time it was 5k rpm and I was trying to jam it in to gear to then stall it. But by that time it was hitting 8k and shortly afterwards a con rod came through the block. Doh.
There is unfortunately no work shop manual that prepares you for that mistake.
The lad that owned the car told me later the turbo had not worked for at least six months. That’s almost the only job that’s cost me money other than time since I went self employed all those years ago. And oil filled inter coolers. Are top of the list of danger flags ever since.

Pinpointdiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90374
Sorry for a second ther I thought you may not be a total jack ass but clearly you are.
Try this if you can make cotton wool explode what do you think happens with other combustibles, wood, coal, oil or any thing else that will burn. Marine engines can run on coal dust.

https://youtu.be/4qe1Ueifekg

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
That’s a brilliant video. You can see the rear brakes lighting up as he’s trying to stall the run a way engine.
I’ve only had one about fifteen years ago. 1990s tdi golf came in with lack of boost pressure. The customer walked away and within a few min it’s I found a split pipe in the vacuum system. Fixed it then took it for a short test drive and was pleased to a find a newly working turbo and boom. I stopped and it kept going.
By the time it got to 3 thousand rpm I had the key out. And I remember looking at the key and thinking WTF. But by that time it was 5k rpm and I was trying to jam it in to gear to then stall it. But by that time it was hitting 8k and shortly afterwards a con rod came through the block. Doh.
There is unfortunately no work shop manual that prepares you for that mistake.
The lad that owned the car told me later the turbo had not worked for at least six months. That’s almost the only job that’s cost me money other than time since I went self employed all those years ago. And oil filled inter coolers. Are top of the list of danger flags ever since.

That is an awesome shared story thank you!

Well let me tell you about the dumbest thing I ever did & induced willfully!

I had an ALH that the anti shudder noid failed, so quickly I bypassed to get my own car running and said to myself in cartoon caption "oh I will get it installed later", was busy with other cars, you know the shoe maker with no shoes theory rationalizing.

Well I forgot about it!

Then like a dumb ass I was experimenting with flowing "gasoline gasses" into the MAF & by using turbo boost PSI to bubble it in a catalyst I made to convert the fuel to pure vapors and blend with regulator.

It worked so well while on all road tests and all aspects I had not yet established a fill line in the can and upon return from getting excited I over filled the can to high.

Revving up this diesel gas combo in driveway fascinated with the power and sound it made it did the same thing as you, only I turned off the key and like a dumb-ass I say this again, I was confident the flap would shut and then quickly realized in real time Oh shit, I forgot to install the noid for the shudder flap!

I sat there like Wille E Coyote during and after it exploded!

Sorry for a second ther I thought you may not be a total jack ass but clearly you are.
Try this if you can make cotton wool explode what do you think happens with wood, coal, oil or any thing else that will burn. Marine engines run on coal dust.

https://youtu.be/4qe1Ueifekg

Hence NostraJackASS! official title is Asshole

Pinpointdiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90374
Yep. That was that golf. I had. Oh well. live a little learn a little.
I can see you know your stuff and you really try to help. It’s not my first rodeo mate by the way. I just want to try to fit in maybe Get help and help some one else. But if i keep backing down every time then You would not respect me. And I will just go else where. For interesting chat.

I’m goin to have another beer and a whisky it’s Friday night in a lock down. I think that was Belgian beer. By the way, made in Portland Oregon? But since I have been dragged out of the euro zone against my will, I’ll just have to have another scotch whisky. Ya belter.

Pinpointdiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90374
Yep. That was that golf. I had. Oh well. live a little learn a little.
I can see you know your stuff and you really try to help. It’s not my first rodeo mate by the way. I just want to try to fit in maybe. Get help and help some one else. But if i keep backing down every time then You would not respect me. And I will just go else where. For interesting chat.

I’m goin to have another beer and a whisky it’s Friday night in a lock down. I think that was Belgian beer. By the way, made in Portland Oregon? But since I have been dragged out of the euro zone against my will, I’ll just have to have another scotch whisky. Ya belter. :p
So I’ll go or stay I’ve nothing else to do for the next three months others than a couple of long stay stinkers that have been hanging a boot like a bad smell. Can’t get any parts any way.

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Just to report that filled the tank, the gauge went to maximum, I made 120 km without issues which means that I was not running on the fuel which I poured into the fuel filter reservoir.

So, this means that the electrical pump at the fuel tank is fine.

However, I am monitoring the gauge because I suspect that it will be stuck again at the same point as before (about ~10 degrees lower the halfway).

Back