Selling my VCDS

darkmatter

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224357
I was think of selling my Micro-CAN USB interface so that I can upgrade to a HEX-USB+CAN interface but I see on your FAQ that whoever buys my old interface will not be able to register with you for product support and upgrades unless they pay a fee of $99 dollars. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and with a policy like that you have put me off wanting to buy a £270 interface when the one I paid £209.95 for a few months ago is effectively worthless as a second hand item.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Firstly, we offer an upgrade program:
http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/RetHEX.html

Secondly, if you do decide to sell it yourself, it is not "worthless". The buyer gets full use of the software including the ability to download updates as they are published. He just doesn't get support or warranty. We have systems out there that have changed hands multiple times over the last 10+ years that are still in use. However, there are costs associated with providing support to each new user of a system, and we do not wish to increase the initial price of our products to cover those costs.

-Uwe-

darkmatter

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224357
Uwe, Thanks for pointing out the upgrade program. It's good to know that a buyer of my interface can still use the software and download updates, would they also be able to register to use the forums or is that the support which you said they wouldn't get?

darkmatter

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224357
Thanks Dana.

Maybe Gendan the UK approved re-seller should say on their website that registration cannot be transferred to a new owner, and it's a pity that they do not offer the upgrade option that you do.

CocoPops

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65608
Ask RT to do the upgrade?

I'm sure they could help out?

darkmatter

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224357
Ask RT to do the upgrade?

I'm sure they could help out?

Did you mean use the Ross-Tech upgrade scheme , mentioned by Uwe, at 159$ or did you mean something else?

I've emailed Gendan who supplied my interface to ask if the operate an upgrade scheme.

CocoPops

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65608
Yes, $159 is around £100?

So unless gendan can do something similar,you might be better with RT direct?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Maybe Gendan the UK approved re-seller should say on their website that registration cannot be transferred to a new owner, and it's a pity that they do not offer the upgrade option that you do.
Have you asked them directly? Alternatively, have you asked Ross-Tech in the US if they'll process your trade-in if it was bought from a reseller? Respectfully, the way you have phrased certain things has the air of complaining rather than seeking solutions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

All the other auto diagnostics vendors charge for annual updates and support. Ross-Tech offers free updates always, lifetime support to the original owner, and lifetime support to a second-hand owner for a one-time fee. And if you want to trade-in your used MicroCAN interface for a HEX-USB+CAN, they're only asking for the NEW price difference plus $60 USD. How the heck is that a bad deal?

Yes, I do drink the Kool-Aid here, but it's tasty and refreshing. Try it!

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

darkmatter

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224357
Yes, $159 is around £100?

So unless gendan can do something similar,you might be better with RT direct?

Yes, it would depend upon the postage cost to return my existing interface, and whether (highly likley) that Ross-tech would charge to post the replacement interface to the UK.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Thanks Dana.

Since you will be speaking to Gendan, perhaps you could suggest that it would be helpful for them to advise about the registration transfer using our FAQ#3.10 Can I sell my VCDS system to someone else?. Next time I am speaking with them, I will suggest they make mention of this FAQ or state similar content.

Regarding upgrades by distribs such as Gendan, they are not required to offer upgrades as there is no margin available to them for doing so. Should they choose to help, then some consideration should be given to them for their time.

darkmatter

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224357
Hi Jason,
I've emailed Gendan asking whether they offer an upgrade option. I should hear back in a couple of days.

darkmatter

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224357
Hi Bruce,

When I emailed Gendan I did indeed mention that I could see nothing on their website advising about registration transfer. I'm hoping that they may offer some consideration in enabling me to upgrade.

Thanks.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Hi Jason,
I've emailed Gendan asking whether they offer an upgrade option. I should hear back in a couple of days.
Good, it's probably easiest for everyone if it can be handled in-country.

May I ask why you're looking at a HEX-USB+CAN? The HEX-NET interface is very nice, and doesn't cost much more for personal use.

Jason

CocoPops

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65608
May I ask why you're looking at a HEX-USB+CAN? The HEX-NET interface is very nice, and doesn't cost much more for personal use.

Jason

Probably because Gendan still have a message on their site saying not for sale in UK...
They don't seem the most up to date seller....

Quite a margin they have as well.
Approx £50 on each HexCan lead from comparing the RT price to Gendan price. Nice markup.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
have you asked Ross-Tech in the US if they'll process your trade-in if it was bought from a reseller?
Yes, his interface is eligible to for our trade-in program. Of course, there would be shipping costs.

Yes, I do drink the Kool-Aid here, but it's tasty and refreshing. Try it!
Just don't ask what we spike it with. :cool:

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Approx £50 on each HexCan lead from comparing the RT price to Gendan price. Nice markup.
Are you taking VAT into consideration? Remember that there is NO VAT in the US.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Probably because Gendan still have a message on their site saying not for sale in UK...
They don't seem the most up to date seller....
No distributor is selling HEX-NET while we are in the Beta phase of release. That is why Gendan has a message saying not for sale.

darkmatter

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224357

Bruce has answered that question...
No distributor is selling HEX-NET while we are in the Beta phase of release. That is why Gendan has a message saying not for sale.

Today I have received a clear and detailed reply from Gendan who, with the agreement of Ross-Tech, would be prepared to sell me an upgrade package. On balance though it will probably be more cost effective for me to by a new HEX-USB+CAN from Gendan and then sell my existing Micro-CAN on eBay or similar - or even more likely I'll just keep what I've got and get someone else to read/reset the fault codes on a car I have which is a little too old to work with my existing interface.

Thanks all for your comments, I think now that there is no more to be said.

Back