Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling my VCDS

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Selling my VCDS

I was think of selling my Micro-CAN USB interface so that I can upgrade to a HEX-USB+CAN interface but I see on your FAQ that whoever buys my old interface will not be able to register with you for product support and upgrades unless they pay a fee of $99 dollars. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and with a policy like that you have put me off wanting to buy a 270 interface when the one I paid 209.95 for a few months ago is effectively worthless as a second hand item.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Firstly, we offer an upgrade program:
    http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/RetHEX.html

Secondly, if you do decide to sell it yourself, it is not "worthless". The buyer gets full use of the software including the ability to download updates as they are published. He just doesn't get support or warranty. We have systems out there that have changed hands multiple times over the last 10+ years that are still in use. However, there are costs associated with providing support to each new user of a system, and we do not wish to increase the initial price of our products to cover those costs.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes Eric, Mari liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe, Thanks for pointing out the upgrade program. It's good to know that a buyer of my interface can still use the software and download updates, would they also be able to register to use the forums or is that the support which you said they wouldn't get?

Post Thanks / Like
    They could register for the forum but they wouldn't be a Verified VCDS User if they weren't registered with us for support. The following Sub-forums would be off limits http://forums.ross-tech.com/forumdis...rs-can-post%29

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dana.

Maybe Gendan the UK approved re-seller should say on their website that registration cannot be transferred to a new owner, and it's a pity that they do not offer the upgrade option that you do.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ask RT to do the upgrade?

I'm sure they could help out?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoPops View Post
    Ask RT to do the upgrade?

I'm sure they could help out?
    Did you mean use the Ross-Tech upgrade scheme , mentioned by Uwe, at 159$ or did you mean something else?

I've emailed Gendan who supplied my interface to ask if the operate an upgrade scheme.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, $159 is around 100?

So unless gendan can do something similar,you might be better with RT direct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    Maybe Gendan the UK approved re-seller should say on their website that registration cannot be transferred to a new owner, and it's a pity that they do not offer the upgrade option that you do.
    Have you asked them directly? Alternatively, have you asked Ross-Tech in the US if they'll process your trade-in if it was bought from a reseller? Respectfully, the way you have phrased certain things has the air of complaining rather than seeking solutions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

All the other auto diagnostics vendors charge for annual updates and support. Ross-Tech offers free updates always, lifetime support to the original owner, and lifetime support to a second-hand owner for a one-time fee. And if you want to trade-in your used MicroCAN interface for a HEX-USB+CAN, they're only asking for the NEW price difference plus $60 USD. How the heck is that a bad deal?

Yes, I do drink the Kool-Aid here, but it's tasty and refreshing. Try it!

Jason

11. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoPops View Post
    Yes, $159 is around 100?

So unless gendan can do something similar,you might be better with RT direct?
    Yes, it would depend upon the postage cost to return my existing interface, and whether (highly likley) that Ross-tech would charge to post the replacement interface to the UK.