2017-5N-Tiguan-Sedan-CCTA 2.0 L-Auto Trans-USA J527 STEERING FAULT IN TRANS

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
0x09 differences compare.........?

Compare all modules to scans of net yet?

Coding: EF1A0A1B80232EC4008800C11000044448010086564D89F064800000A040

Coding: EF1A0A1B80232EC4008800C11000044448010086524D896064 8000000040

"Compare all modules to scans of net yet?"

I have spent some time comparing scans but didn't come up with any exact matches.
Dana seemed to find a very close match, Tiguan with trailer mod.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
"Compare all modules to scans of net yet?"

I have spent some time comparing scans but didn't come up with any exact matches.
Dana seemed to find a very close match, Tiguan with trailer mod.
Yes so did I............as aforementioned for you to compare.

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
Yes but scans on net show otherwise and with same build, maybe there is a discrepancy huh?

Sometimes the book is wrong is all I'm saying, that is why further cross checks are needed, no?

Totally agree 1000% :thumbs:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well start the compare and contrast book report sir........... :rolleyes:

Already gave you the cliff notes.......

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
I took Jef's advise and it seems I was finally able to obtain the "paperless copy" of the vehicles PDI from dealer. Turns out my boss has a contact who has a close friend working in a VW dealer a few states away. He sent a screenshot of the document highlighting the J527 p/n!!!! Also it's the same p/n Dana located in the ross archives "Tiguan w Trailer" main difference being w-Kessy.

nyM7H1C.jpg

So it appears the J527 on this particular build should be 5K0-953-569-AJ

To recap previous modules fitted by shop in order: AL BC AS AK
According to report vehicle should accept AJ

Bottom line is a proper pre scan along with retaining old module would have prevented this whole mess!
Also this VW parts dept really sucks at shooting darts :rolleyes:

I should have the part later this week and once installed and configured I will update thread.

Thanks All!

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
Ahhhhhh ahhhhhh no

Part No SW: 5K0 953 501 CL

Oh really I almost messed that up thanks buddy!

I don't work on a lot of VAG vehicles which I'm sure you have already detected lol

Curious are the part numbers and hardware numbers on VAG modules typically different part numbers or more often the same?

I noticed my J527 in VCDS Auto Scan showed "Part No SW: 5K0 953 569 AL HW: 5K0 953 569 AL"

Last edited:

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hardware part number is the physical box. The Software part number has to do with the firmware put into said box. When you scan any given control module with VCDS, on the "Open Controller" screen, the VAG number is the software part number.

So mystery solved, 5K0 953 501 CL it is... and that seems to be a unicorn rare part number. Google it... not a lot of results there.

Reactions: Uwe

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
Hardware part number is the physical box. The Software part number has to do with the firmware put into said box. When you scan any given control module with VCDS, on the "Open Controller" screen, the VAG number is the software part number.

So mystery solved, 5K0 953 501 CL it is... and that seems to be a unicorn rare part number. Google it... not a lot of results there.

Thanks for the clarification on that Jef :thanks:

No joke that part is certainly not easy to come by. I sure hope there's some dealer stock around somewhere close by :facepalm:

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I would be shocked if any dealer had that part number sitting around... heck, shocked if a warehouse had one ready to go. My guess is it will be made to order... a virgin J527 box will be flashed with the "CL" firmware and then sent to the dealer.

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
Talked with the local VW dealer today a few times today as time permitted. They said the part listed on the new vehicle scan report isn't available in the catalog and therefore they cant get it. Supposedly they contacted parts specifying and were told the same thing. Now they are adamant that the 5K0-953-569-AL is the correct part and it's a supersession of the old. I asked them directly if they could provide me with a catalog note stating that it replaces the native part number from the PMI scan and they could not. So I'm really wondering what data they're using to prove this. The AL is the first module they sent where this whole situation started. I have to admit I am ultra confused at this point.

Feels like we have some serious contradictions happening. Initially the dealer, citing directly from parts catalog note stated: "Determination of OE installed part number must be read with the diagnostic tester**" Apparently now that they are presented with actual data from the PMI scan (which I would consider nearly as good as old part in hand) they are backing away from the real data and tell me with certainty that the old native part read from car as it rolls in new is somehow worth nothing :rolleyes:

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
Module display with AL part, first part replaced. Module was coded with ODIS but trans fault and wrench light on.

c20ETSa.jpg

Last edited:

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
Module display with AK, 4th part replaced. Module accepted coding but fault in trans and wrench light like p/n AL.

axg9amh.jpg

Last edited:

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
Module display with BC, second part replaced. This module was very wrong and wouldn't accept coding

fo3Ys93.jpg

Last edited:

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
PMI scan report from dealer server archives. Module hardware and software versions highlighted.

AjfWOFs.jpg

Mills83

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136383
Just an observation. Hardware and Software versions match between AL and AK and native modules respectively. BC clearly does not and hence wouldn't accept coding. Third module AS I don't have a scan from because it was so wrong it inhibited car from keying on. Jef mentioned "The Software part number has to do with the firmware put into said box". So I can presume the AL and AK have the same firmware as native module given SW/HW numbers match. This raises the question to me does the P/N hold any addition value or is it really just the hardware/software numbers that matter for module fitment. Or is it possible the part number aside from the HW/SW numbers can dictate changes in pin locations?

Like usual I'm probably overlooking something obvious. Curious what you all think :popcorn:

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
You need part number 5K0-953-501CL according to legacy data and the part indeed exists.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Well you are in a bit of a pickle here. I talked to my parts manager on this.... so the original part number is "odd" to him and he can't get it. And he comes up with the same results as your parts guy, 5K0-953-569-AL.

I have two thoughts on this... maybe that is the correct part number and so something else gets tweaked so it works (TCM smacked with hammers or something). Or due to how super rare it is, this was a factory "hack job" to get a very limited run of vehicles out the door since 99.9% of Tiguans are not stripped down like this.... and now the parts departments has no info on said hack.

Back