Would it be possibe to include the date and time in VCDS-Mobile logs?

technodevotee

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=339141
When I scan my car and save the logs, quite often they won't save to the cloud and I end up having to save them later.

The problem is that if you can't save them as soon as they are created they sometimes don't get saved in the correct order and it is really hard to tell which scan was which.

The dates and times shown on vcds-cloud don't really help because they refer to when the file was saved to the cloud and not when the scan was done.

It would be really helpful if the files included the date and time stamp like the windows logs do.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
AFAIK the HEX-NET doesn't have it's own clock so any date/time would need to come from the car - and as many posts here will testify that's not always accurate (and sometimes completely crazy).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Correct, the HEX-NET does not have a real-time clock/calendar. We've talked about various work-arounds to get it a date/time when its in use, but none of them seem can be universally counted on to work properly.

-Uwe-

technodevotee

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=339141
Thanks for the explanation.

I assume that there is a similar reason for there being no mileage in there either?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Mileage should be available from most cars during a scan, but I'm not sure whether VCDS-Mobile has all the stuff needed to automatically retrieve it during a scan like the full VCDS does.

-Uwe-

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
Correct, the HEX-NET does not have a real-time clock/calendar. We've talked about various work-arounds to get it a date/time when its in use, but none of them seem can be universally counted on to work properly.

-Uwe-

Wouldn’t a simple JavaScript work, which retrieves the clients system time?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Wouldn’t a simple JavaScript work, which retrieves the clients system time?
Honestly, it has been so long since we had this discussion that I don't recall the details of why we didn't take that approach.

@Shaun..?

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
It does do this for some things. It's used in measuring value logs, for example, where I believe the date is required by VCScope. But it's not in the autoscan header. Maybe it is time to revisit these headers?

Back