How to charge a dead battery on a Bentley GT, when the rear lid will not open.

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

I made a short video a while ago and I have been wanting to make it public to help people with a common concern on the 2004+ Bentley Continental GT and the Flying Spur.

Many of these vehicles are not driven daily and may sit for weeks. Then on a nice day, you come out to find both batteries are flat, dead... i.e.. no or little voltage. Or worse if you are a shop, the vehicle gets dropped off as a no-start... turn the key, nothing .. dead! ugh..

On any other normal vehicle, you can access the batteries or a jump posts and charge the batteries. However, on these vehicles, the problem is, the rear lid is typically operated electrically and does not use an outside mechanical connection to the lid release (except for the emergency release between the seats (if installed) that you need a socket/wrench to operate).

I found under the bonnet/hood, there is a battery positive terminal with three wired/stud connections. This is located under the coolant expansion tank on the right side of this left hand drive vehicle in the video. There is a small cover that is snapped onto the mounting of the wiring connection. It comes off if you lift one side of it upwards, no need to fully remove it, you just need to access the connections.

This is where you will want to make your positive connection. Be careful as to not touch any metal with your battery charger/booster clamp, it can be done with a set of small camps without issues. The ground then can be connected to and metal bolt, the suspension bolts work great.

Once the connection has been made and the batteries are charging, you can then operate the rear boot/lid switch(s) to open and gain access to the batteries for proper charging.

I recommend to install a small battery maintainer on these vehicles and have the power cord accessible from the rear apron, so all you need to do is plug it in.

Funny on the 2017 Bentley Continental Supersports this is now factory installed. :P

Video: How to charge a dead battery on a Bentley GT, when the rear lid will not open!

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Last edited:
Back