Thread: How to Take a Full Backup of Vehicle Before Modifying Anything

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to Take a Full Backup of Vehicle Before Modifying Anything

New user here, how do I take a full backup of the car so that I can revert to it if something gets messed up?

I know that the Auto-Scan feature can be used to backup the long-coding of modules but what about all the adaptations and any other MISC info/codes?

Also, if you do mess something up, how to restore the backup?

[Car in question utilizes CAN]

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There is no way to do single, true "full backup". Some things simply aren't accessible in an automated way, requiring various security access codes before they can even be read. Nor is there a way to restore everything in one shot.

In addition to a full Auto-Scan, I would make Adaptation Channel Maps from the "whole car".
    See here:
    https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/...annels-map.php

Note: Doing the whole car can take a while. Use a battery charger! Use .CSV or Raw Hex as the output format. Raw Hex can be re-imported ("restored") into a particular module.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

3. Likes gokarty liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    There is no way to do single, true "full backup". Some things simply aren't accessible in an automated way, requiring various security access codes before they can even be read. Nor is there a way to restore everything in one shot.

In addition to a full Auto-Scan, I would make Adaptation Channel Maps from the "whole car".
    See here:
    https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/...annels-map.php

Note: Doing the whole car can take a while. Use a battery charger! Use .CSV or Raw Hex as the output format. Raw Hex can be re-imported ("restored") into a particular module.

-Uwe-
    Okay, thanks!