Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passat Died

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dana,

This stamping, will it be on the in tank fuel pump stamped somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. In that case the 4029.0 mbar (which is only 4.0 bar) combined with nearly 70% on-time in-tank EFP points towards a Low Pressure Fuel specific problem. Most of those flaky G410 low pressure sensors have been recalled and replaced several times so I doubt the sensor is faulty. Instead, the in-tank pump, fuel filter and/or FPCM are suspect.

Were both the new electric pump and fuel filter dealer sourced and ordered by VIN? Either way, please verify the new filter has a 6 or 6.6 bar stamping on it rather than the (incorrect 2.5L filter) 4 bar stamping.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akitchens View Post
    Dana,

This stamping, will it be on the in tank fuel pump stamped somewhere?
    This is the one I got from Amazon

Spectra Premium SP5122M Fuel Pump Module Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWCW6DO..._PoLGEbJ6B7T68

3. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I ASSumed this car had the standard replaceable fuel filter beneath it (which would have a stamping) but after checking PL24 by VIN the filter with regulator appears to be on top of the in-tank fuel pump. If that's the case, and there wasn't a filter beneath the vehicle, locating the pressure regulator stamping might not be that easy.

Per both memory and ECS Tuning's website the list of old (problematic) part numbers was a lengthy one. Per their product page:

3C0919051AE
    3C0919051G
    3C0919051P
    3C0919051AK
    3AA919051C
    3AA919051L

It is entirely possible that your diagnosis was correct but the 3rd party supplied pump is either defective or incorrect.

The only way to conclusively determine this would be to connect a fuel gauge capable of handling 6.6 Bar (roughly 100 PSI) prior to the HPFP and jumping fused power and ground directly to the in-tank fuel pump. Doing so would eliminate the FPCM and wiring to/from it and the ECM to allow you to see if the electric pump can achieve expected pressures without an excessive Amp draw or ugly noises. If you were to test using that method I would also evaluate measuring block 103 with the key on to see if G410 reports a value similar to that of the mechanical gauge.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dana,

Thank you for all your help. I wasn't able to do what you said as it got to late this evening but I did connect a full pressure gauge up to the HPFP. The picture shows when idling what the pressure is and the video shows that the fuel pressure bounces around when raving up the vehicle. We can hear the fuel pump in the car where the pitch of the hum goes up and down like shows in the video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18n...NdVWSdZ12qmLhm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IA...MJytDx1e6ZxODR

Let me know what you think. Bad in tank fuel pump?

Post Thanks / Like
    At face value, yeah. It looks like a faulty in-tank fuel pump however it could be FPCM related or a power/ground type problem to that pump. Jumping power and ground directly to that in-tank pump for another pressure evaluation would be best.

Either way, the 2.4 Bar (35 PSI) ... 4.1 Bar (60 PSI) pressure is far too low. I'm surprised the high side is able to keep up as well as it was in the prior snapshots.

On a personal note if you do replace that in-tank pump again I would not source one 3rd party. Obtaining a VW part (either from the dealer or someone like ECS Tuning that's selling the identical revised VW part number) would be highly recommended.

7. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dana

I went ahead and got the VW part number from VW for the fuel in tank pump and got it off eBay for like $80. Car drives so much better now. Thank you for your help

9. Likes Dana liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just because you bought the Fortune cookie fuel pumps as a result of pumps under campaign recall, did you still consider getting reimbursement for the entire fiasco from OEM request and copied to NHTSA?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fuel pump was not under recall. The only thing under recall was the fuel pump control module wiring which was replaced by VW.