MIB2 Speaker Output Help

Thecatmilton

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Jetta GLI and I want to add a 4 channel amp to bypass the fender amplifier. I want to retain the MIB2 headunit.

My goal is to get high or low level speaker outputs directly from the radio (MIB II) at the brown plug. My current problem is that the radio does not change the gain / volume on the output and only mutes with the volume all the way down. It does this since the speaker volume is currently adjusted by the factory amp. I have read that it is possible to do some coding to change the type of speaker output coming from the radio.

I want to buy a VCDS tool, but want to confirm that I will be able to do what is necessary before I spend the money since I could buy an aftermarket headunit for the price of the tool.

Here is a video of my current issue. I have the subwoofer hooked up to the outputs coming off the brown plug to demonstrate the lack of volume adjustment. In the future, the 4 channel amplifier will be connected there.
https://streamable.com/e9ifr

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I am pretty confident that coding adjustments can made that determine the whether the head unit expects an amp and such. However, it's difficult to get into specifics without knowing exactly which "MIB II" you have. There are a bunch of variants, and several suppliers. Can you find the VW part number on yours? That way we might be able to find a scan from a unit like yours and tell you more.

-Uwe-

PS: Moving to Pre-Sales Support.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The VW part number is 5C0 035 684 B
Great. We have a scan of one here:
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?13184

Coding options for it include:

Sound System installed [PR-8RU]
2 Channels / 4 Passive Speakers installed [PR-8RE]
2 Channels / 4 Passive Speakers installed [PR-8RH] OR Sound System [PR-9VE]
4 Channels / 6 Passive Speakers installed [PR-8RL]
4 Channels / 8 Passive Speakers installed [PR-8RM]

And:
Internal Sound System active [PR-8RE/8RH/8RL/8RM]
External Sound System active/installed [PR-9VE]

Hopefully, some combination of these will get you the functionality you are looking for with your own external amp, but I cannot give you an iron-clad guarantee.

-Uwe-

Back