2016 VW GTI Airbag Deployment Reset

seedcleaner

Reaction score
Hi all. Bought a wrecked 2016 Golf GTI. It was hit in the rear side door. It still drives. The driver upper curtain airbag, seat airbag, and drivers seatbelt deployed.

I am buying a good used seat with good airbag. I am buying a new curtain airbag.

I have a few options that I think will work for the airbag module but need advice.

Myairbags.com claim they can rebuild the seatbelt and airbag module to restore it to "like new" with no faults, and it will work again in the event of a wreck. That is likely my first choice.

Secondly choice would by to purchase VCDS and use it to help make this vehicle driveable. I would consider purchasing it, even if I send the seatbelt and module to a restoration company and they successfully repair them.

My last choice would be for Volkswagen dealership to do the module repair. When I was there, a tech told me the module must be replaced with a new one. He said the current one can't be re-used and another used one can't be programmed to my car. It must be new and programmed. This is my last choice.

Thoughts on how to proceed are much appreciated. I have a "Bluedriver" scan tool and could possibly provide some codes if it would help at this point.

TIA

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Which "module" exactly are you talking about?

With no frontal impact, I seriously doubt that the main airbag control module would need to be replaced.

VW will want to repair things "by the book", which means replacing any restraints that deployed with new ones. Moreover, there are states that where it explicitly illegal to install used or "rebuilt" airbag components.

-Uwe-

seedcleaner

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I believe there is one module only for the airbags, located under dash within center console. I am under the assumption that it controls any and all airbags and likely needs reset or something after any airbag deployment.

As far as "rebuilt". The seat I am installing is used, but has factory airbag within that hasn't been deployed. The upper curtain airbag will be new OEM. The module, I am hoping can be reset to be used again, but was wanting to get more info here about that from those more familiar.

On another note, my Bluedriver scanner shows a 1609 code, which might prove to be difficult to deal with. Until I get a good oil pan on this vehicle, I won't know many details on how it drives, but I have researched this code and apparently it can be difficult to fix, maybe not all of the time, but sometimes anyway.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
seedcleaner: Hi. If I might add to Uwe's reply and noting that you haven't mentioned the option of retrofitting a 2nd hand airbag from another car - you should know that the J234 module (this is what VW call the air-bag module in their WD) is captured in the "Component Protection constellation" on MQB platform vehicles like your mk7 GTI.

This means that a CP error will be generated if the car's module surveillance facility sees a changed airbag module. VCDS and most other diagnostic devices can't delete this DTC. The only way to deal with a CP error (officially) is to connect the car to VW's FAZIT system. Only dealers and registered VW agents have access to this facility.

Don

seedcleaner

Reaction score
DV52, thank you very much for that detailed information. Unfortunately I don't fully understand some of what you are saying.

Are you saying to not use a used airbag or module? Do you think the used seat (with airbag) will be a problem, and if so, how to resolve?
The upper airbag will be new OEM.
The seatbelt and J234 I was planning on sending it to https://blogs.myairbags.com/vw-volkswagen-airbag-ecu-module-reset/ and try my luck.

Any advice appreciated, hopefully I will understand! Some of this terminology is new to me.

Back