Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ABS fault for 2012 Golf R

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    I don't see an obvious way to do just that in this ABS.

However, Basic Settings in Group 001 should initiate the brake bleeding procedure and I would expect the ABS to give you some helpful prompts in the four MVB fields. Note however that this is generally a two-person job. The car should be on a lift, with one person in the car with the scan tool and operating the pedal, while the other one is opening and closing the bleeder valves as prompted. At least that's how it was done on earlier ABS systems.

And as Jack states, you should definitely refer to proper repair manual for more details.

-Uwe-
    Uwe,

Thanks for the info and advice. Too bad that Bentley no longer publishes manuals for VWs otherwise I would look it up. I take my brakes very seriously and don't go off doing work without getting all of the pertinent information first.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Uwe. I've read all the relevant literature in the repair manuals (RTFBs) and nothing new was found other than learning where to flush the slave cylinder. I will check out the Basic Settings in Group 001 to see what is offered in VCDS.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I would avoid using a scan tool to bleed or flush the brakes. Pressure bleeding is the way to go. Early on at my VW dealer days, I was involved several times with trying to use the scan tool to bleed or flush brakes out and it a mess (figuratively). Then one day at the dealer, a crate shows up with a note stapled to it that read:

Dear VW Dealer,

You've just now spent $2000, congratulations!

Love,

VWoA
    And inside the crate was a pressure bleeding tool/kit, the VAS5234. This turned flushing ABS systems from a 2 confused as f##k people operation to a 1 person money making machine. We never went back to using a scan tool for this type of operation.

To that end, you might want to invest in one of the Motive branded pressure bleeding kits. They are well under $100 and they do work. Brakes need to be flushed every 2 years and since I have several VWs, I have one of those kits for this reason.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find passive reverse bleeding and pushing at each bleeder, with a mighty vac to the reservoir, far cleaner and "obtainable for cost" & far easier as a one man job, than using the scanner or $2000 USD PSI bleeder.

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

You know, we have a Ross-Tech wiki page for the ABS fault code 02214 - Tire Pressure Warning and it mentions the "System Rest" or also known as the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Reset". It looks like this ABS should support that reset in Basic Settings.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset

You may want to try this AFTER you have verified all the afore mentioned components are 100% correct: Tires, wheels, bearings, sensors, etc and they are all functional, clean and/or correctly torqued.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

8. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post