Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus COVID-19 and the effect for Ross-Tech

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    if there is one good thing to be said about the corona virus, it is causing the most interest and motivation of businesses to enable 'work from home' I've ever seen, even from companies/workplaces that would never have previously even considered it, let alone recommend it to their workforce.

I'm not referring to RT, but the innumerable traditionally run businesses that are often only drug kicking and screaming into the future (or present for that matter).
    Ross-Tech has been amenable to WFH for more-or-less since the beginning. I think it may be because the business started in my home 20 years ago. At first it was just me, and then it was just me and Linda, but in 2002, we started hiring people. By 2004, we had four or five people showing up to come to work at our house at 9:00 AM every morning, and Linda put her foot down; "Enough!". So I rented some office space and moved the operations people out. However, R&D stayed in my house until we moved to a bigger facility (the one we're still in) late in 2007. Then we had everyone under one roof for a couple of years.

That changed again in 2009. Long story short, since then we've hired a number of people for support positions who WFH all but two weeks out of the year because they live far enough away that commuting isn't an option, and moving wasn't feasible or desirable to them. VPN access and VoIP phones make this possible. Each spring and fall, we have an "All hands on deck" week where everyone is in the office. We haven't officially cancelled the one scheduled for May, but it's looking more and more likely...

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Uwe: to quote one of your country's lesser known philosophers (or, to be more correct, his mother) - Ain't life "a box of chocolates"?

I'm not sure what event initiated the butterfly effect - but I suspect that you would never have predicted the buying your first VW vehicle and discovering that funny looking connector under the dash would have resulted in the even stranger device that we all respectfully call VCDS. Was it luck, brains, intuition or what Bruce might call "Kismet" (given his predilection to believing in a deity) - I don't know, but aligning all the dots that must have been required to get to present day Ross-Tech has to be a one-in-a-billion long shot!!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

3. Likes Bruce, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    I suspect that you would never have predicted the buying your first VW vehicle and discovering that funny looking connector under the dash would have resulted in the even stranger device that we all respectfully call VCDS. Was it luck, brains, intuition or what Bruce might call "Kismet" (given his predilection to believing in a deity) - I don't know, but aligning all the dots that must have been required to get to present day Ross-Tech has to be a one-in-a-billion long shot!!
    Well, my first VW was a 1977 Mk.1 Golf, 1.6 liter that I bought well-used at the end of 1982. I can assure you it did not have the purple connector we've come to know and love. My second was a 1984 GTI. My third was a 1989 GTI-16V. Meanwhile my wife had a 1985 Jetta followed by an MBZ 190E 2.3. All of these cars had some variant of the Bosch CIS fuel injection system, and all you needed to trouble-shoot that were pressure gauges and a multimeter. I did most of the work on these cars learned my way around those cars and the systems in them pretty well...

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe it was the time of the yellow wire under the hood and sign codes. The good old days are not what the new cars are now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek View Post
    The good old days are not what the new cars are now.
    Yeah. In the good old days, I could replace a timing belt in well under an hour. Now the engines have timing chains, which theoretically should never need to be replaced, but the reality is that they often don't last any longer than a belt did, and fixing any issue with those chains is an all day job.

But we digress from the topic of this thread.

-Uwe-

7. Likes Jacek, NZDubNurd, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely correlates Don does it not?

Fear is always more powerful short term, than greed too, that's why so much false hope is had & when the masses see buy to cover as a rally!

VERY VERY dumb....?

Don't trade with margins, right?
    Don't sit idle in a corner long position jerking off either unless that's your game?

I bought a car from the black pool, with the black swan and it's black on black & it gets down!
    Fitting huh?
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 03-16-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    charter, not falling for the panic, or just plain evil ?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ring-pandemic/

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad that I serve at Ross-Tech and in support of Uwe Ross. Uwe puts our people ahead of whatever drove Rutledge to ignore the CDC for the 15,000 employees who could have worked from home.. Bet others could have had reduced hours too..

With the fear of being labeled a "suck up", all I can say is, "Thanks for doing the right thing boss!"

11. Likes Uwe, Boki Ar, jyoung8607, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I lean toward the latter.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^Uwe: hmm.......I suspect not!

Whilst I agree entirely that the Charter CEO's directive was wrong, I'm minded that we should cut Mr Rutledge some slack because he is saddled with the same disability that infects us both: he is an engineer - and as a consequence, he will see the world in black-and-white!!

It must be hard being both an engineer and a CEO because in the latter role, staff (and society in general) expects that he will be empathetic - which simply does-not-compute !!

Perhaps this example is nothing more than a classic case of the "Peter principle" in action?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

14. Likes NZDubNurd liked this post