Oil

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
Sounds to me as though your engine likes that oil. Why would it be bad? That old 2.slow engine is low-tech enough not to require oil with esoteric, proprietary specs.

How often do you change your oil?

-Uwe-

Why would it be bad?...Well, only because it's counter-intuitive to me to be putting 40wt oil in gas engine in the winter. It's not really a big deal...the car is working fine now, and since you guys were discussing the finer points of oil, I thought I'd stick my nose in and ask;). I'm just glad it's not burning it anymore, or throwing DTC's for the O2 sensor.

Oddly enough, I did stop into one of the local independent VW shops earlier on to ask about this oil usage, and the guy at the counter says "How much oil is it going through? A liter or two between changes?". I said yes, and he replied "Oh, well they all do that...you have to check the oil you know?". As he said that, he looked at me like I was an idiot because I somehow appeared to think that burning oil wasn't normal. Anyway, I'm all good now...LOL. I'm over it.

Since this car is mostly on the highway, and I'm buying this expensive oil, I've been running between 6000-8500 miles between changes. I often do 600 mile days...2-3 times a month, and then a little city driving in between, but not much.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Why would it be bad?...Well, only because it's counter-intuitive to me to be putting 40wt oil in gas engine in the winter.
But you haven't. You've put 0 weight oil in it. The way I've always looked at oil specs is that it's the first number that counts when the engine is cold in winter; the second number is what counts when the engine is all warmed up.

-Uwe-

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
But you haven't. You've put 0 weight oil in it. The way I've always looked at oil specs is that it's the first number that counts when the engine is cold in winter; the second number is what counts when the engine is all warmed up.

-Uwe-
100% true.

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
This is why I come here, for education;).

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
and a 0W-40 is still FAR thicker when cold than hot - If you're living in a really cold area, 0W-anything is a good idea anyway - much better cold start flows.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
and a 0W-40 is still FAR thicker when cold than hot - If you're living in a really cold area, 0W-anything is a good idea anyway - much better cold start flows.

No it isn't......that's the old way of thinking.
It is thinner cold and thicker hot due to additives in the oil.

The friction created from 0W40 hot will result in less FMPG then say a 0W20 due to this thickness.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
No it isn't......that's the old way of thinking.
It is thinner cold and thicker hot due to additives in the oil.

The friction created from 0W40 hot will result in less FMPG then say a 0W20 due to this thickness.

That's depends on how you describe it :thumbs:

I meant each oil is thicker cold than hot, it thins as it gets hotter. Not comparing two different types:

ie:
(Data from : http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx)

Mobil 1 0W-40

Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
(Cold Viscosity) = @ 40º C 75 cSt ("Thick")
(Hot Viscosity) = @ 100º C 13.5 cSt ("Thin")

Back