05 Passat v6 Trunk

glkirk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37343
There is a key switch in the door by the trunk unlock button. Turning it with the ignition key, seems to do nothing.
The trunk will only open with the key in the lock. The door switch and the key fob does nothing.
Also, in the glove box, is a strange little knob that can be turned and it opens and closes a pocket like thing.
Does anyone know about the key switch, the thing in the glove box and why the trunk will not open using the door switch or key fob?
Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Some kind of valet functions?

Have you checked the owner's manual?

-Uwe-

glkirk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37343
Some kind of valet functions?

Have you checked the owner's manual?

-Uwe-

There is no owners manual.
I did look online, and it seems It would cost money just to read anything.
I know its an old car (was 30,000 when new) but had hoped someone would know these answers.
Thanks!

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
It is a valet thing. You can lock it so the trunk release doesn't work, give the people you don't trust at all a special key that only fits the exterior door and ignition switch. This way, they can steal your car and run it over curbs and cows all day long... but they can't open the trunk and get to your 2 cases of bottled water, bag of golf clubs and that super thin black plastic trash bag of old clothes.

The little "knob" in the back of the glove box? Has a small off-center hole? That is to allow HVAC air flow into the glove box. You open that during the summer so your glove box gets cool AC air flow, thus your box of Fazer chocolates don't melt.

glkirk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37343
Wow Jef, that make a lot of sense! Thanks!
Now, I'm wondering what kind of key will make the lock work?
The main fob key does not seem to make it work.
I did buy a spare key a while back in case I get locked out of the car. I wonder if that will do anything?
Thanks again

glkirk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37343
So, both keys will turn it just fine.
Its just a very simple two wire switch.
It works just fine.
it is locked (broken connection) when the thin sides of the key point towards the "Lock " I con.
Its still not working.
I do not get any power to the "trunk release switch", where as I do get power to one terminal of the gas door release button. (Which works just fine).
When I hold the key fob button for the trunk, the blinkers flash momentarily.
Have checked and tested all fuses.
Cant see anything wrong with mechanism in trunk lid. The micro switch seems to be fine.
Anyone have any thoughts where I should look next?
Thanks!

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The car came with 3 keys. 2 of them are were flip out keys with remote snapped to them. The 3rd key is a valet key, or "flat key". Keys have a groove milled along the edges.

jijYMhY.png

The upper key is a flip out key, the lower one with the thinner groove in it is the valet key. The key tumblers in the door panel, glove box and rear lid are made with larger "tabs" that the valet key can't clear, thus not fit into. The deeper grooves on the flip out key allows it to clear those tabs and fit. The exterior door and ignition tumblers don't have the larger tabs, so the valet key fix them.

When a flip out key is used in the door card to disable the trunk release, there is a simple electrical/mechanical switch that gets flipped to open circuit, thus the trunk release doesn't work. This stuff doesn't know key from key to key... if a key fit, you can turn it and enable or disable the trunks release switch. The bits and pieces in there may be damaged and need to be replaced.

Reactions: Uwe

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
if you have 'unlocked' the thing in the door and the trunk does not work, then it is probably the trunk lock itself that is broken.

I have a 2003 passat v6/4motion with a broken trunk as well.

the trunk does not even lock shut, it only stays down by gravity. anyone can lift it right up.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
the trunk does not even lock shut, it only stays down by gravity. anyone can lift it right up.
Cool, keyless entry retrofit!
QwC409F.gif

Back