Gateway installation list: Automatic alignment function?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Just a thought-bubble really - but is it possible to include an auto tool in VCDS software that aligns the installed modules in a vehicle with those modules that are registered with the CAN Gateway? Probably not helpful to more experienced VCDS users, but it might benefit the enthusiast market sector (like me) -perhaps - maybe?

Don

Somnus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=215931
That is a clever idea!
Like after running an Auto-Scan, a popup appears saying "Unregistered Modules have been detected by the CAN gateway" and it have a list of modules that are not registered, with checkboxes next to each, so the user can choose which ones to add.

You could even make it optional by having a "Prompt for unregistered modules(or whatever you prefer)" checkbox in settings

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Somnus: thanks for the words of support - whilst your post auto-scan suggestion has merit - I was thinking of a totally "vegie" alternative: if Status: module cannot be reached DTC s are detected, the user would have an option to automatically fix (i.e. just select "go/no-go" without choosing modules).

Again, whilst your suggestion has merit - those of who know what check boxes to select probably don't need this facility. My proposal was targeted @ newbies who go playing with the Gateway installation list without knowing the consequences (my proposal was prompted by a local forum colleague in this category who I just assisted).

Extrapolating your post-auto-scan suggestion further - it might be prudent for the user to have the option of disabling the auto-fix Gateway installation function to avoid annoying experienced users (of which there are doubtless many). This option could be included as a radio button in the Program Options tab of VCDS

My other pet hate with diagnostic cables that use automated functions (which I won't mention) is that they often leave no trace of the amendments that they make. An embellishment (if possible) for this proposal is that a detailed record of the automated change is made in the C:\Ross-Tech\Debug sub-directory .

thanks again for your supporting dialogue

Don

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
just an observation, if the status of the module is "cannot be reached", I see no point in adding it to the gateway. you rather might want to do that when the status is "not registered".

anyway, I am still trying to understand the true need of this feature :P

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Vicious OBD11 crap has such a feature. "Update installation list" or something.

My opinion is, the only thing that would be achived is one more source of confusion/questions/failure

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My reaction to automatic (or even semi-automatic) putzing around in a GVL like that:

OCbs0sx.gif

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^hmm......... it's difficult for folk with high levels of expertise to think like a newbie (which is why I can)- but thanks (everyone) for your consideration and responses!!

Don

Somnus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=215931
Vicious OBD11 crap has such a feature. "Update installation list" or something.

My opinion is, the only thing that would be achived is one more source of confusion/questions/failure

My reaction to automatic (or even semi-automatic) putzing around in a GVL like that:

OCbs0sx.gif

-Uwe-

I definitely see why it would be an issue to have such a facility, I have had personal experience with a GVL that has been, shall we say, touched inappropriately by the 11th OBD tool (not fun...:banghead:).

However, I believe it to be a bad implementation more than an inherently bad feature.

Last edited:

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
The 11th OBD tool also tells you if there is an update/higher version available for your Control Unit.
Facebook groups go nuts asking how to update....LOL. It's funny telling them "press Update". Where's da button? lol

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I definitely see why it would be an issue to have such a facility, I have had personal experience with a GVL that has been, shall we say, touched inappropriately by the 11th OBD tool (not fun...:banghead:).

However, I believe it to be a bad implementation more than an inherently bad feature.

giphy.gif

Don

Back