Thread: Gateway installation list: Automatic alignment function?

Post Thanks / Like

Gateway installation list: Automatic alignment function?

Just a thought-bubble really - but is it possible to include an auto tool in VCDS software that aligns the installed modules in a vehicle with those modules that are registered with the CAN Gateway? Probably not helpful to more experienced VCDS users, but it might benefit the enthusiast market sector (like me) -perhaps - maybe?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

2. Likes Somnus liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a clever idea!
    Like after running an Auto-Scan, a popup appears saying "Unregistered Modules have been detected by the CAN gateway" and it have a list of modules that are not registered, with checkboxes next to each, so the user can choose which ones to add.

You could even make it optional by having a "Prompt for unregistered modules(or whatever you prefer)" checkbox in settings
    If you are curious about the MK100 ABS controller's Bits and Bytes >>MK100 ABS Coding (Google Drive)<< NOT 100% ACCURATE, INFORMATION ONLY

4. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somnus: thanks for the words of support - whilst your post auto-scan suggestion has merit - I was thinking of a totally "vegie" alternative: if Status: module cannot be reached DTC s are detected, the user would have an option to automatically fix (i.e. just select "go/no-go" without choosing modules).

Again, whilst your suggestion has merit - those of who know what check boxes to select probably don't need this facility. My proposal was targeted @ newbies who go playing with the Gateway installation list without knowing the consequences (my proposal was prompted by a local forum colleague in this category who I just assisted).

Extrapolating your post-auto-scan suggestion further - it might be prudent for the user to have the option of disabling the auto-fix Gateway installation function to avoid annoying experienced users (of which there are doubtless many). This option could be included as a radio button in the Program Options tab of VCDS

My other pet hate with diagnostic cables that use automated functions (which I won't mention) is that they often leave no trace of the amendments that they make. An embellishment (if possible) for this proposal is that a detailed record of the automated change is made in the C:\Ross-Tech\Debug sub-directory .

thanks again for your supporting dialogue

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 02-29-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    just an observation, if the status of the module is "cannot be reached", I see no point in adding it to the gateway. you rather might want to do that when the status is "not registered".

anyway, I am still trying to understand the true need of this feature :P
    my Golf came out of the factory with 13 ECUs. now she has 20. and counting

Post Thanks / Like
    Vicious OBD11 crap has such a feature. "Update installation list" or something.

My opinion is, the only thing that would be achived is one more source of confusion/questions/failure

8. Likes NEtech, Uwe, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My reaction to automatic (or even semi-automatic) putzing around in a GVL like that:

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

10. Likes PetrolDave, darkchina811, Somnus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^hmm......... it's difficult for folk with high levels of expertise to think like a newbie (which is why I can)- but thanks (everyone) for your consideration and responses!!

Don

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hadez16 View Post
    Vicious OBD11 crap has such a feature. "Update installation list" or something.

My opinion is, the only thing that would be achived is one more source of confusion/questions/failure
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    My reaction to automatic (or even semi-automatic) putzing around in a GVL like that:

-Uwe-
    I definitely see why it would be an issue to have such a facility, I have had personal experience with a GVL that has been, shall we say, touched inappropriately by the 11th OBD tool (not fun...).

However, I believe it to be a bad implementation more than an inherently bad feature.
    Last edited by Somnus; 03-04-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    If you are curious about the MK100 ABS controller's Bits and Bytes >>MK100 ABS Coding (Google Drive)<< NOT 100% ACCURATE, INFORMATION ONLY

Post Thanks / Like
    The 11th OBD tool also tells you if there is an update/higher version available for your Control Unit.
    Facebook groups go nuts asking how to update....LOL. It's funny telling them "press Update". Where's da button? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
    I definitely see why it would be an issue to have such a facility, I have had personal experience with a GVL that has been, shall we say, touched inappropriately by the 11th OBD tool (not fun...).

However, I believe it to be a bad implementation more than an inherently bad feature.

Don