Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Diagnostic Protection SFD

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Don,Sorry my understanding at present is that once set up with the necessary permission by the importer, a security token must be requested via portal before starting a Diagnostic session with Odis. I haven't been setup yet and we are not expecting the Golf 8 for a few months yet. Info is very scarce at the minute but it appears that very little if anything will be possible without the token.

2. Likes PetrolDave, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why there is no public ver. beta (can I request access), and when will the official new version be released?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek View Post
    Why there is no public ver. beta (can I request access), and when will the official new version be released?
    Ross-Tech do extensive internal alpha testing and only release a beta when they are sure that it won't cause significant issues, rest assured that when it's stable enough there WILL be a beta version on their website.

5. Likes Uwe, Eric, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm testing now to try to get acces to the car that is the reason why i can have autoscan and so on. Iff there is happening something to the car there is a way to put it back to factory for me. Iff it's stable I assume ross-tech will release this version.

7. Likes Uwe, Dana liked this post
    VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like

9. Likes DV52, Ralf@MFT, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Detlef Trapp View Post
    Detief: thanks for the detailed document - the opening paragraph is telling:

The aim of SFD
    Product analyses in the VW Group have shown that there is an increased requirement for protection of data in vehicles. This is also the case for Vehicle Diagnostic Protection. The previous procedure (activation of security access by way of a 5-digit login code) no longer conforms to the state of the art.

Very little detail at all to justify the introduction of SFD and from the omission, a palpable sense that VAG doesn't consider justification is needed!

Because I don't use ODIS, I don't know if the protocol described in the document is much of a departure from what happens now - but what is of more interest is how this affects independent diagnostic devices. At face value, no more SA sounds good -but overall, it seems a fairly parlous situation for post MY20 vehicles. But I'm probably catastrophiising (at least I hope that I am)

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

11. Likes PetrolDave, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    of course VAG is selling it like there is an increased need of protection, but it is obviously bullshit. they want to monopolize service and, even more, kill the retrofit business.

I can sum it all up with only two words: it sucks.

a much fairer move would have been to introduce Component Protection for all modules in the vehicle.
    my Golf left the factory with 18 ECUs. now she has 27. and counting

13. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    a much fairer move would have been to introduce Component Protection for all modules in the vehicle.
    Now there's an interesting concept :"Fairer"? When was "fairness" ever a corporate driver for business decisions (it's an oxymoron)!

Ain't the web a fantastic resource!! At least one well-known, third-party manufacturer of diagnostic equipment (won't name) has maybe found a work-around for SFD (perhaps - not sure what "Autodetection" actually does on my cable because I don't have access to MQB37W vehicle)
    .....System 8.7.3 is ready for download
    Created: 03 February 2020

News:
    .......does not need administrator rights to run anymore.
    Data update
    timing fixes
    Autodetection for new SFD (SchutzFahrzeugDiagnose) feature introduced in MQB2020 platform (currently Golf VIII and Skoda Octavia IV)

... and confidence from another well-known, third party manufacturer of diagnostic equipment (won't name) that their products also can be modified to work with SFD.
    Hi, I can confirm that........ and all other third party diagnostic tools will not work with latest vag vehicles. As we have official license with VW AG we already have all documentation how to integrate SFD into our diagnostic system, but there are still a lot of questions about that to start implementation process. Communication with them are very slow so I can't provide any eta when we will be ready for that. I will provide more information when we get it explained by Volkswagen AG.
    So, perhaps SFD is not so catastrophic after all - maybe?

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 03-11-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    hmm..... well at least one well-known, third-party manufacturer of diagnostic equipment (won't name) has maybe found a work-around for SFD (perhaps - not sure what "Autodetection" actually does because I don't have access to MQB37W vehicle)

Don
    I don't think they found a work-around, they say they can detect it - which should be easy just reading the VIN - and administrator rights refer to Windows OS

16. Likes DV52, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks UWE for redirecting me here. I think on a personal note it has a lot to do with the function on demand stuff that's slowly being phased in??? For example. Cars with LED lights have the capability of upgrading to Matrix or Matrix HD and you can pay for the update which would be via the dealer network. Thus coding anything via VCDS is restricted?

Just a thought......perhaps?

Regards and stay safe out there you beautiful people.