Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vehicle Diagnostic Protection SFD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, ostensibly it's to protect your vehicle from being "hacked". This is of course something of a risk when cars are always connected to the internet via cellular connections. E.g:
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hacker...-jeep-highway/

However, it could be implemented in a manner that doesn't lock out someone who has physical access to the diagnostic port. The fact that it hasn't been implemented in such a way does make me suspect an ulterior motive...

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

2. Likes PetrolDave, darkchina811, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Well, ostensibly it's to protect your vehicle from being "hacked". This is of course something of a risk when cars are always connected to the internet via cellular connections. E.g:
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hacker...-jeep-highway/

However, it could be implemented in a manner that doesn't lock out someone who has physical access to the diagnostic port. The fact that it hasn't been implemented in such a way does make me suspect an ulterior motive...

-Uwe-
    Uwe: I keep saying to others (about myself) that I wouldn't be paranoid if it wasn't that everyone in the world was against me! But thanks for articulating the question of VAG's (possible) objective for SFD so succinctly

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

4. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post