Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Factory Trailer Hitch Retrofit (2016 Mk.7)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I checked the wiring diagram again and some different fitting instructions; still no clue as to where the fault could be. In fairness the diagram I’m working from came from er-win. However er-win is clever; it knows my vin number shouldn’t have a towbar so won’t show me a wiring diagram with one. I had to use the generic car option to get a towbar wiring diagram for a golf, but it might not exactly match how mine should be wired though.

The car is now doing everything it’s supposed to do and the towbar is doing all the functions it should. It’s just this one error on Vcds. I have the car in bits at the moment (I was reluctant to put the dash back together until I knew it wouldn’t have to come to bits again). Not sure whether to put it all back together and use it to see if a problem appears or where else to look for a fault tbh? Could this fault code be software not getting the answers it expecting farther than a hardware fault?

Only other thing I thought... I bought the J345 module on the basis it should be the right version for the car and coded correctly, but how would I check?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    my Golf doesn't need to tow anything so I never looked too deeply into this retrofit. hopefully somebody with more expertise will chime in.
    my Golf came out of the factory with 13 ECUs. now she has 20. and counting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfOwner View Post
    I checked the wiring diagram again and some different fitting instructions; still no clue as to where the fault could be. In fairness the diagram I’m working from came from er-win. However er-win is clever; it knows my vin number shouldn’t have a towbar so won’t show me a wiring diagram with one. I had to use the generic car option to get a towbar wiring diagram for a golf, but it might not exactly match how mine should be wired though.

Only other thing I thought... I bought the J345 module on the basis it should be the right version for the car and coded correctly, but how would I check?
    Golfowner: I had another look at the WD too - apparently stuff changed around May 2014. I'm not sure about the version J345 on your auto-scan - but perhaps it might be prudent to look more closely at the B socket end of the module: are there any wires on the B socket (from J345) that don't have a matching wire connected to the car's loom?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

4. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This suggestion may, or may not, shed light but I'd run a measuring function control module map on 69 and post the results for review. For instance, the info below was from a MQB based factory installed 5Q0 907 383 N Trailer module:

IDE03680-IDE00020,Supply voltages-Terminal 15 status,On,
    IDE03680-IDE00773,Supply voltages-Terminal 15 status via CAN,On,
    IDE03680-IDE04760,Supply voltages-Terminal 30 status output (pin 9 power outlet),OFF,
    IDE03680-IDE04761,Supply voltages-Terminal 30 status output controlled (pin 10 power outlet),not coded/not installed,
    IDE03680-IDE05404,Supply voltages-Status terminal 75x via CAN,On,
    IDE03680-IDE05967,Supply voltages-Voltage terminal 30 left,12.8, V
    IDE03680-IDE05968,Supply voltages-Voltage terminal 30 right,12.8, V
    IDE03680-IDE05969,Supply voltages-Voltage terminal 30 trailer supply,12.8, V
    IDE03680-IDE05970,Supply voltages-Voltage terminal 30 engine supply,Measured value not available,
    IDE03680-IDE10782,Supply voltages-Voltage terminal 30 charging output,Measured value not available,
    Observing those results may allow you to determine if there's a Terminal 15 or 30 group that's not reporting properly. If that is the case it may be easier to focus on specific tracks in the diagram (ASSuming the diagram is correct).

6. Likes Uwe, DV52 liked this post