VR6 Eurovan 01P Transmission Versions?

whitey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=376895
I have three questions really, and after looking in all the dark corners of the interweb Im not finding any information.

1) I initially thought all the 01P transmissions were the same, Im learning that is not actually true, does anyone have a chart or breakdown of the various 01P transmissions that were installed in the 97-2003 Eurovans (specifically the VR6 vans)?

2) In addition to the different iterations of the 01P transmissions, Im also trying to verify the corresponding TCM's that each trans uses?

3) Last but certainly not least, is there any interchangeability between the various TCM's and transmissions? Forward or backwards compatible?

Thank you in advance for any info!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Be nice to have some background info why you want to change the 01P transmission in your VR6 Eurovan?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
If you need a controller just contact us by contact form or email with VIN number please & so the correct part is observed in microfiche.

We have all the part numbers available for exchange or as new genuine hardware with our cartouche.

Trying to install incorrect controllers by cross over, is not a good idea and often a reason someone destroyed an 098/01P.

whitey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=376895
I appreciate both responses.

Luckily I’m not replacing my transmission at this time so my inquest is more to complete what I see as a lack of info relating to the 01P.

My research seems to show many 01P transmissions: CWC, CWE, CWD, CWF, CWG, CWH, DLM, DMB, DML, DNA, DND, DNC, DNE, DNF.

You see many people searching for their specific transmission and/or tcm after failure, and it seems like some exchangeability info would help all in the community.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I appreciate both responses.

Luckily I’m not replacing my transmission at this time so my inquest is more to complete what I see as a lack of info relating to the 01P.

My research seems to show many 01P transmissions: CWC, CWE, CWD, CWF, CWG, CWH, DLM, DMB, DML, DNA, DND, DNC, DNE, DNF.

You see many people searching for their specific transmission and/or tcm after failure, and it seems like some exchangeability info would help all in the community.

That is why the microfiche should be used & because doing what you are trying to do is what gets transmissions destroyed, fails to comport and often the wrong TCM installed.

Do you have any idea how many people send me in the wrong part because someone prior to them installed it due to some stupid thread like you are attempting to forge?

If you want to know what fits and for the correct code, just use the VIN number and www.partslink24.com or contact your or any VW VAG parts department dealer and ask them.

Anything else is a waste of time!

I can just see it now ..........

I got my information from a thread and blew my better than $5000K USD transmission up............ oh and because I didn't use the repair manual or factory microfiche and relied on this to save 20 USD or a phone call to a dealer to check the part number!

VERY Dumb dumb dumb!

Last edited:

whitey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=376895
Jack I appreciate your passion as a business owner, but you're insinuating "what im trying to do".

If you feel like there is NO interchangeability between any 01P trans and TCM's, you could simple state that instead of attacking me. Better yet, list the combinations that you have found over the years that correspond?

You're missing that Im actually trying to encourage the opposite of what you are saying by asking for information, information that would stop people from substitutions or combinations that aren't compatible, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think we all can just be honest and say that these vans are old and expensive, and parts are'nt always available and cheap?

That being said, if someone has a 01P trans or tcm that is unobtanium or prohibitively expense to fix, since all these motors are the same trans bolt pattern, doesnt it seem likely you could take a donor trans and tcm (matching if such info existed) and transplant into any VR6 eurovan?

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack I appreciate your passion as a business owner, but you're insinuating "what im trying to do".

If you feel like there is NO interchangeability between any 01P trans and TCM's, you could simple state that instead of attacking me. Better yet, list the combinations that you have found over the years that correspond?

You're missing that Im actually trying to encourage the opposite of what you are saying by asking for information, information that would stop people from substitutions or combinations that aren't compatible, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think we all can just be honest and say that these vans are old and expensive, and parts are'nt always available and cheap?

That being said, if someone has a 01P trans or tcm that is unobtanium or prohibitively expense to fix, since all these motors are the same trans bolt pattern, doesnt it seem likely you could take a donor trans and tcm (matching if such info existed) and transplant into any VR6 eurovan?

I'm not attacking you, can't you see I'm just simply pointing people in the proper direction to comport with qualified repairs and reasonable or free access to the information rather than some blob of inaccurate information from speculation?

Do you realize just because something bolts up to an engine, that transmissions and controllers support many different attributes, such as gear/final drive ratios, TQ converter code or stall speeds, VB codes and shift paths, differences between, actual trans codes, engine size or fuel type, and controllers are made by different vendor's too, some support K line and CAN and some with different pin configurations & even though the main pin plug is the same, further allowing some schmuck to plug in the wrong controller and attempt your aforementioned grand plan?

Should not weights of the vehicles in torque requests of ECU or TCU & ratios be factor too & since the vehicles come in VAN, Multi van and Winnebago or Campers?

Do you realize in the 01P there are non and fly by wire VR6 TV types and use entirely different ECU or TCU attributes, you seemed to negate that too?

Do you see why now it's reckless & the microfiche & RTFB should be adhered to and to stop FOD like you are allegedly about to forge in instruments to ultimately mislead people by what you are trying to purport?

All I'm saying is consider these aforementioned questions and that installing incorrect controllers is a conformity certificate application change and illegal for repair shops and even owners to engage, how would you feel if you directed someone from a thread like this and the trans locked up and was traced to pump shaft lock up and resulted in a car pile up?

If you were going to try and build a database, wouldn't it be done using the microfiche and RTFB & to cross ref all the things I aforementioned in questions doing it correctly?

Let me say this again, all the part numbers are available still & whether new or reconditioned, so not really seeing your first post point.

Last edited:

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Generally, the different trans codes mean different ratios, final drives, or possibly a mechanical update (additional sensor, sensor deletion etc).

You'd need to find all the changes between each of the codes and compare which TCMs would work. Some may be interchangeable, but may not be listed in EKTA as such. If not, it's all trial and error.

The safest option is always matching units.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Generally, the different trans codes mean different ratios, final drives, or possibly a mechanical update (additional sensor, sensor deletion etc).

You'd need to find all the changes between each of the codes and compare which TCMs would work. Some may be interchangeable, but may not be listed in EKTA as such. If not, it's all trial and error.

THANK YOU! ;)

Won't Etka indeed list the legacy and super-sessions or when you plug in the legacy part number on hand & if an old number 99% of the time or if was required or if backward or only linear going forward to address the aforementioned? :D

whitey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=376895

NZ thanks for your input.
I agree fully with you and your thoughts on what the differences probably are, again it surprises me that those specific differences arent known or specified anywhere in the literature?
I should add that the Rialta/Winnebago transmissions also seem to add complexity to the 01P family as those again all seem to be unique to each year of production.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I wish new car buyers opted for the manual trans more often. If people can't drive one (excluding disabilities), they shouldn't be allowed to drive...

It'd make my owning of old pieces of crap so much better and reliable :D :thumbs:

Back