VW transporter 2001 70VIN

BOBSER1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275670
Hey folks just looking for some info on a transporter I'm looking at for lack of power .plug in vcds manually have to select chassis (70).try to scan and the only controller that will work is the immobilizer . I cannot print this as it just keeps automatically scanning over and over .any help would be great as access to the engine controller would be great 👍.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moving this to Car Repair support.

Having to manually select the Chassis on is normal and expected on a T4.

What happens if you manually try to access some of the other modules, like:

[Select]
[01-Engine]

or

[Select]
[03-ABS Brakes]

or
[Select]
[17-Instruments]

-Uwe-

BOBSER1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275670
Cheers uwe ,I have tried to manually select all these modules and the only one that seems to work is the one for immobilizer .the van starts and runs fine too while vcds is connected as I thought maybe it was an immobilizer fault ?software to modern maybe ? Bit baffled myself.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If it starts and runs, and things are generally powering up and working, I don't think it's likely due to an immobilizer fault. An immobilizer fault could prevent communications with 01-Engine (because the K-line gets to the ECU by going into the Immobilzer and coming out as the 'W' line), but not the other systems like 03-ABS and 17-Instruments; the K-line goes to those directly.

I think I would start sleuthing with a meter. Check for continuity from pin 7 of the OBD-II connector to the relevant pin on the some of the other modules.

-Uwe-

BOBSER1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275670
That's great man thanks for your help I will try that out .

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
But but but your Eminence what if immobilizer was defeated?

OP did you check the DLC migration TV connection above fuse block & that ties or permits the K line to be bifurcated?

Ever considered the RTFB and WD are a good start or with a tone generator to light the path to K line and isolation of modules?

JPPSG the entire thread yet?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
But but but your Eminence what if immobilizer was defeated?
If the immo was defeated, I don't see how it would prevent comms to other modules that are connected to directly to the K-line (in other words, everything except the ECU). The OP said the Immo itself talks, so we can be reasonably confident the K-line isn't jammed up with random data either.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
If the immo was defeated, I don't see how it would prevent comms to other modules that are connected to directly to the K-line (in other words, everything except the ECU). The OP said the Immo itself talks, so we can be reasonably confident the K-line isn't jammed up with random data either.

-Uwe-

If immobilizer is defeated it can allow for operation and communication will take place on internal W CAN among modules & while if the bridge is unplugged other than immobilizer or if a module is running interference after the immobilizer module on K line could no?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If immobilizer is defeated it can allow for operation and communication will take place on internal W CAN among modules & while if the bridge is unplugged other than immobilizer or if a module is running interference after the immobilizer module on K line could no?
I doubt it, but simple enough to test. Unplug immobilizer module from car. See if other systems like cluster or ABS then talk.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I doubt it, but simple enough to test. Unplug immobilizer module from car. See if other systems like cluster or ABS then talk.

-Uwe-

Not necessarily just the immobilizer because the main DLC bridge TV BAY often gets messed with above the fuse block unwittingly ( Just from what I see often for FOD ) or by someone unplugging or plugging the K line BUS into a dead side too or wrong connector is all I'm saying but yes isolation of modules is a good way to see too and one by one or tone out with DVOM.

BOBSER1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275670
hey ,i still haven got to the bottom of this yet as the van is in a different country still .i will check when she is home and when i find out i will update .
Nothing worse than an unsolved problem .and thread...

Back