ABS Coding Lost epidemic?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Is it just me, but my impression is that there have been many more threads recently about lost ABS coding on a whole range of VAG vehicles?

Any thoughts as to why this may be? Or is my impression just plain wrong?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think it's just that cars with with ABS modules that have VIN-specific codings are getting older. The oldest of them are now at 11 years.

If you power up one of these cars with the instrument cluster disconnected, or you use certain other tools that take the instrument cluster off-line due to a back-door access, poof, the ABS coding is gone. And of course the ABS modules themselves are failing and getting replaced.

Blessed are the pessimists for they hath made backup scans. :D

-Uwe-

PS: FWIW, Jack was one of the first people to experience this back in 2009. He was messing with his then-new 2009 Jetta TDI, and made something of a federal case out of being unable to re-code it. Eric had a virtually identical car at the time and we were quite confused at first at the fact that Jack's car wouldn't accept the coding from Eric's car. This was before anyone understood the VIN encoding bytes.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
[h=2]ABS Coding Lost epidemic?[/h]
Is it just me, but my impression is that there have been many more threads recently about lost ABS coding on a whole range of VAG vehicles?

Any thoughts as to why this may be? Or is my impression just plain wrong?​

I think it's just that cars with with ABS modules that have VIN-specific codings are getting older. The oldest of them are now at 11 years.

If you power up one of these cars with the instrument cluster disconnected, or you use certain other tools that take the instrument cluster off-line due to a back-door access, poof, the ABS coding is gone. And of course the ABS modules themselves are failing and getting replaced.

Blessed are the pessimists for they hath made backup scans. :D

-Uwe-

PS: FWIW, Jack was one of the first people to experience this back in 2009. He was messing with his then-new 2009 Jetta TDI, and made something of a federal case out of being unable to re-code it. Eric had a virtually identical car at the time and we were quite confused at first at the fact that Jack's car wouldn't accept the coding from Eric's car. This was before anyone understood the VIN encoding bytes.

More like State DEC, DMV, DOT & Federal Congressional and EPA/NHTSA Inquiry directly & to only be ultimately dismissed, huh?

The FOIA instruments prevail to prove a written record and validated my concerns if you search them, well did anyone?

After Diesel-Gate blew up with reporters forwarding me the FOIA instruments between VW and EPA, additional questions brought to light these facts and you think this would cause my anger to accelerate?

The fact VWGoA made false statements about me to US Government & about my findings, equally were troubling to get the complaints and claims I had dismissed, is this not a cause to be upset?

I take issue with this and is why I didn't sell my TDI back & because the stipulation would of gagged me, ever wonder why I bring up useful life and questions everything to help others?

Have I ever asked for anything from anyone really in a forum post & outside requests for information to help them?

I may have a cryptic way of posting questions right, however, it is with intent that people will learn on their own with self-evident answers, circumvent liability for this forum or me and not be able to Google a magic answer, because in today's world you have "Freedom of Speech, just you must watch what you say" is that right?

Back