Dealer Required to Provide Service History?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
This is a research blob not advice and at request of Uwe these links.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/part/396

For assistance, please send an email to FMCSA.Webmaster@dot.gov.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/573.6

Maybe this too since a transmission failure to operate also falls under safety of ADR & when it fails to comport with useful life or MIL?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw06lNk-_cQLc-mG6TzsqrVF

https://www.epa.gov/recalls/recalls-vehicles-and-engines

I'm looking, im looking & whether OP realizes this or not this stuff is very time consuming for anyone?

Did you know when looking up cross reference data to CFR's of useful life related warranty or certifications I been trying to create a how too process to follow the bread crumbs linked to VCDS scan data to rule out FOD?

This is done whether OEM or to detect aftermarket tuning or a non comporting repair don't you see that?

If that's my alleged "agenda" I'm guilty because what do I make out if this, think about it?

Really people are pissed, well I'm sorry but it is in the spirit of helping people & no different than why VCDS was created for a targeted enthusiasts or poor guy market and became repair shop related by its mere ubiquitous success & is it not the spirit of the Forum or net for information?

Did you also know It was or is not the easiest thing to convey, when so many seem to be apprehensive to it and I kind of take issue with it since a DSG may cost someone anywhere between 5-15k to repair, further totalling a vehicle where no one does the repair in aftermarket & whether they have VCDS or not, right?

So OP if you know you need a box and these avenue's are possible, don't get pissed at the guy trying to sort it and not be hit with the stick of liability of an OEM at same Time okay? If I miss quote, you do understand the OEM is watching this right and why its all a big philosophical question line by line for you to read between for self evident answers?

Funny thing Uwe, did you know your limited VIN number VCDS interface will be much easier to substantiate a request for reimbursement when linked to warranty or useful life warranty?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
California further passed legislation requiring that all emissions related service information and tools be made available to independent shops.

State law versus Federal?

OP indicated he resides in CA no?

Service history is relied on in order to make a diagnosis or testing according to the RTFB is it not?

Still looking...... :)

Blob blob...fun read section.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/86.007-30

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Split from this thread. I'm interested, but the OP in that thread specifically stated he wasn't looking for legal advice.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Split from this thread. I'm interested, but the OP in that thread specifically stated he wasn't looking for legal advice.

-Uwe-

Nor, am I giving it..... I'm just questioning what I see and if someone else wants to take to a lawyer to go get that legal advice, that would be the right advice here, right?

:p

The OP doesn't want to try to do a repair or proper diagnosis with the RTFB either, but allegedly gets upset with me when I point him to possible questions that could be a free solution, I wonder why?

Please note the question marks everyone!

Can I go outside & play with the others yet?

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I know sometimes it can be hard to be my friend...... :p

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It's coming and I see you!

55893-warner_home_video3.jpg

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to add my two cents(experience) about the Volkswagen/Audi vehicle history data that is out there.

As an ex-dealer technician for both Audi and Volkswagen, I know for a fact the vehicle history information is available at the dealer level.
Just to let you know, I am not posting here to state the legalities of this matter and whether or not the dealership does or does not have the right to decline your request for such information.

Here is my experience today, when I called the local Volkswagen dealership and Volkswagen of North America.

Contacting the local Volkswagen dealership

At lunch time, I called the local dealer (where I used to work at) and upon inquiring about the service history for my own 2009 VW Passat (2nd hand owner), the service writer, who I know personally, led me to believe that he can only access the service records they have preformed at their dealership and they he could not 'see' any more information. He did tell me about the warranty work they performed, information I already knew.

So... either the service writer was not aware of the 'online' history available through the Volkswagen dealer's special website or he did not really want to go digging. I suspect this history would be more of a service manager or a warranty clerk's responsibility and accessed as needed, like during a lemon law case or a warranty/goodwill coverage concern/question.

As I stated before, I do know the service technician does have access to this information also and regardless of what dealership did the work, they are still able to view the history of vehicle. This information however maybe limited to warranty/recall/campaign work and service work. It is possible that some 'jobs' may not have necessarily been recorded and entered into the VW system.

Contacting Volkswagen of America (VWoA)

After I ate my bratwurst and sauerkraut lunch(for real, Friday special!), I decided to call Volkswagen of America's Customer service [1 (800) 822-8987] to see if they could help and what their 'official word' was on this vehicle history request subject.

If you have ever called VWoA, you know wait times can be long, but to my surprise they picked up before the 4-10min wait time they had promised me, imagine that, glad I was done eating! (and yes, the food was awesome, my wife is a chef ;) )

I asked the representative if there was a way I could obtain the "service history" of my 2009 Volkswagen Passat from VWoA directly, as my dealer was not able to 'see' any history from other dealers. She took some information, name, address, etc and it seems that they had me on file. What a very pleasant customer service representative and she was very willing to see if she could help.

After a brief hold, the representative came back and was sad to informed me that they are not able to provide the "service history" information I had requested and she gave no reason. Hmm, I then asked here why? She paused, then came up with what sounded like her interpretation of "why", rather than a scripted company policy. She said "there is customer information in the service records and they can not give that out, sorry". I asked "is it because it would violate their privacy policy?" She agreed and asked me if there was anything else she could help out with and reminded me of a survey I would be receiving.

So on the surface, it would seem that Volkswagen of America is not willing to give the information, I guess the next step is to submit a request in writing and then see what the real official policy is. Let me know if you guys want me to try that. Would be interesting to see what happens.. maybe they might send me part number [199 398 500 A] instead!! yummy ... Oh.. yea!, that reminds me, I need to reorder [199 398 500 B]

If anyone is interested in requesting information about a vehicle's service history, I would suggest to contact your local dealership and contact the service manager, the warranty clerk or the service tech and not necessary in that order either. I imagine the results will vary from dealership to dealership and maybe there is a law or policy in place that would decide if you do or do not receive your requested information? I have not really looked for any laws or have seen any written policies, so if anyone gets an official word/information, post it up here.

As always, hope this helps,

drpeter

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would like to add my two cents(experience) about the Volkswagen/Audi vehicle history data that is out there.
Sounds like you got the same sort of run-around that the customer in this thread did.

I suppose we have to assume this is the "party line" from VW... :mad:

But that history definitely exists, and here it is (it's easy to miss this in your post above):

I'm not gonna ask exactly how you got it... ;)
If anyone is interested in requesting information about a vehicle's service history, I would suggest to contact your local dealership and contact the service manager, the warranty clerk or the service tech and not necessary in that order either.

-Uwe-

Back