Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: VW Passat 2011 B7 Variant - Retrofit Xenon Headlights and LED Taillights

  1. #1
    Verified VCDS User ElBongoBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question VW Passat 2011 B7 Variant - Retrofit Xenon Headlights and LED Taillights

    Greetings everyone,

    I have a (in my eyes) a fairly big project that Im trying to achieve with my 2011 Passat Variant EU.
    Today, the car is running Halogen headlights / taillights and Im planning to do an OEM retrofit of the Xenon headlights and LED taillights.
    Currently Im scavenging car wrecks who have the OEM Xenon/LED lights.

    Is this hard to achieve? Im new to the whole hands-on car scene and DIYing.
    What kind of coding do I need to change? Ive looked around in VCDS and found some light related things.
    Do I need to change the wiring or any of the fuzes?

    Do you know anyone who has done it or are there any other threads where theyve done the same thing with the Passat B7?

    Thanks in advance, hopefully this is somewhat the right place to ask this.

  2. #2
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Posts
    573
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the tail lights all you need is to get LED taillights plug them in and code them, change byte 18. (Be aware that if in your bcm byte 18 is 00 it's actually hidden (masked with 00 and you don't know it's true value) once changed you can't go back, you can only speculate and try to test different values so that everything works ok).
    For the headlights you need adapters or re pin existing connectors from 10 pin to 14 pin, running additional wires and coding.
    There are 3 kind of services
    GOOD CHEAP FAST
    But you can only choose 2:
    GOOD and CHEAP won't be FAST
    FAST and GOOD won't be CHEAP
    CHEAP and FAST won't be GOOD

  3. Likes downtime, ElBongoBoo liked this post
  4. #3
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also in addition to new headlights, you will need the adapters (or replace the connector completely by repinning from the existing to a new 14 pin) like m87a wrote, an AFS headlight range control unit, a rear level sensor and some wiring.

    This is really not that hard retrofit to do. It needs a bit of work but not that bad.

    It would be good if you would provide a complete autoscan from your car so we can see what BCM you have. Because this retrofit requires you to have highline BCM module.

  5. Likes ElBongoBoo liked this post
  6. #4
    Verified VCDS User ElBongoBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by m87a View Post
    For the tail lights all you need is to get LED taillights plug them in and code them, change byte 18. (Be aware that if in your bcm byte 18 is 00 it's actually hidden (masked with 00 and you don't know it's true value) once changed you can't go back, you can only speculate and try to test different values so that everything works ok).
    For the headlights you need adapters or re pin existing connectors from 10 pin to 14 pin, running additional wires and coding.
    Okay great, that's given me some confidence when it come to changing the rear. Thanks for the input.

    I'll do some research as to where I can get these adapters for the front, not sure if I'll handle the pressure of rewiring stuff.

  7. #5
    Verified VCDS User ElBongoBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Also in addition to new headlights, you will need the adapters (or replace the connector completely by repinning from the existing to a new 14 pin) like m87a wrote, an AFS headlight range control unit, a rear level sensor and some wiring.

    This is really not that hard retrofit to do. It needs a bit of work but not that bad.

    It would be good if you would provide a complete autoscan from your car so we can see what BCM you have. Because this retrofit requires you to have highline BCM module.
    This sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the input.

    I've posted an autoscan here: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...an-fault-codes

  8. #6
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBongoBoo View Post
    This sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the input.

    I've posted an autoscan here: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...an-fault-codes
    If I'm correct, that BCM looks like midline one. 3AA 937 087 A would be highline for sure.

    Highline would read :

    Component: BCM PQ47 H

    Your's is :

    Component: BCM PQ47 M

  9. Likes Uwe, ElBongoBoo liked this post
  10. #7
    Verified VCDS User ElBongoBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    If I'm correct, that BCM looks like midline one. 3AA 937 087 A would be highline for sure.

    Highline would read :

    Component: BCM PQ47 H

    Your's is :

    Component: BCM PQ47 M
    Okay I see.
    So all in all, what i need to get for the headlights is:
    - A new highline BCM
    - Two converters, where can i get those? Ebay?
    - An AFS (is this required for the headlights to work?)
    - A rear level sensor? Whats that?
    - And some wires, what kind of wiring are we talking?

  11. #8
    Verified VCDS User ElBongoBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBongoBoo View Post
    Okay I see.
    So all in all, what i need to get for the headlights is:
    - A new highline BCM
    - Two converters, where can i get those? Ebay?
    - An AFS (is this required for the headlights to work?)
    - A rear level sensor? Whats that?
    - And some wires, what kind of wiring are we talking?
    I've done some more research and re-looked at the parts that I've wanted to buy.
    I see now that AFS is already on the headlight units themselves.
    This is great, thanks for all the details @downtime !
    I'm having a blast trying to piece together how I'm supposed to do this.

  12. Likes downtime liked this post
  13. #9
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Posts
    513
    Post Thanks / Like
    The xenon headlights have AFS slave modules and you'll need the AFS master 5M0907357E or F.

    A rear levelling sensor is a sensing unit on the rear axle which detects how much the car is loaded with cargo and adjusts the xenon beams lower not to blind oncoming traffic. You might see 2 scroll wheels next to your light switch - one for headlight level and other for instrument lights. On factory xenon cars, there is only the instrument light wheel. The AFS and level sensor automatically adjust the xenon lights.

  14. Likes downtime, Uwe, PetrolDave, ElBongoBoo liked this post
  15. #10
    Verified VCDS User ElBongoBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siLc View Post
    The xenon headlights have AFS slave modules and you'll need the AFS master 5M0907357E or F.

    A rear levelling sensor is a sensing unit on the rear axle which detects how much the car is loaded with cargo and adjusts the xenon beams lower not to blind oncoming traffic. You might see 2 scroll wheels next to your light switch - one for headlight level and other for instrument lights. On factory xenon cars, there is only the instrument light wheel. The AFS and level sensor automatically adjust the xenon lights.
    Alright, thanks for clearing that up, this is very intriguing.
    Thanks @siLc for in the info, much appreciated.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •