VW Passat 2011 B7 Variant - Retrofit Xenon Headlights and LED Taillights

ElBongoBoo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380918
Greetings everyone,

I have a (in my eyes) a fairly big project that I’m trying to achieve with my 2011 Passat Variant EU.
Today, the car is running Halogen headlights / taillights and I’m planning to do an OEM retrofit of the Xenon headlights and LED taillights.
Currently I’m scavenging car wrecks who have the OEM Xenon/LED lights.

Is this hard to achieve? I’m new to the whole “hands-on” car scene and DIY’ing.
What kind of coding do I need to change? I’ve looked around in VCDS and found some light related things.
Do I need to change the wiring or any of the fuzes?

Do you know anyone who has done it or are there any other threads where they’ve done the same thing with the Passat B7?

Thanks in advance, hopefully this is somewhat the right place to ask this. :)

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
For the tail lights all you need is to get LED taillights plug them in and code them, change byte 18. (Be aware that if in your bcm byte 18 is 00 it's actually hidden (masked with 00 and you don't know it's true value) once changed you can't go back, you can only speculate and try to test different values so that everything works ok).
For the headlights you need adapters or re pin existing connectors from 10 pin to 14 pin, running additional wires and coding.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Also in addition to new headlights, you will need the adapters (or replace the connector completely by repinning from the existing to a new 14 pin) like m87a wrote, an AFS headlight range control unit, a rear level sensor and some wiring.

This is really not that hard retrofit to do. It needs a bit of work but not that bad.

It would be good if you would provide a complete autoscan from your car so we can see what BCM you have. Because this retrofit requires you to have highline BCM module.

ElBongoBoo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380918
For the tail lights all you need is to get LED taillights plug them in and code them, change byte 18. (Be aware that if in your bcm byte 18 is 00 it's actually hidden (masked with 00 and you don't know it's true value) once changed you can't go back, you can only speculate and try to test different values so that everything works ok).
For the headlights you need adapters or re pin existing connectors from 10 pin to 14 pin, running additional wires and coding.

Okay great, that's given me some confidence when it come to changing the rear. Thanks for the input.

I'll do some research as to where I can get these adapters for the front, not sure if I'll handle the pressure of rewiring stuff.

ElBongoBoo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380918
Also in addition to new headlights, you will need the adapters (or replace the connector completely by repinning from the existing to a new 14 pin) like m87a wrote, an AFS headlight range control unit, a rear level sensor and some wiring.

This is really not that hard retrofit to do. It needs a bit of work but not that bad.

It would be good if you would provide a complete autoscan from your car so we can see what BCM you have. Because this retrofit requires you to have highline BCM module.

This sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the input.

I've posted an autoscan here: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?21934-VW-Passat-2011-B7-Variant-First-scan-fault-codes

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813

ElBongoBoo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380918
If I'm correct, that BCM looks like midline one. 3AA 937 087 A would be highline for sure.

Highline would read :

Component: BCM PQ47 H

Your's is :

Component: BCM PQ47 M

Okay I see.
So all in all, what i need to get for the headlights is:
- A new highline BCM
- Two converters, where can i get those? Ebay?
- An AFS (is this required for the headlights to work?)
- A rear level sensor? Whats that?
- And some wires, what kind of wiring are we talking?

ElBongoBoo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380918
Okay I see.
So all in all, what i need to get for the headlights is:
- A new highline BCM
- Two converters, where can i get those? Ebay?
- An AFS (is this required for the headlights to work?)
- A rear level sensor? Whats that?
- And some wires, what kind of wiring are we talking?

I've done some more research and re-looked at the parts that I've wanted to buy.
I see now that AFS is already on the headlight units themselves.
This is great, thanks for all the details @downtime !
I'm having a blast trying to piece together how I'm supposed to do this.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
The xenon headlights have AFS slave modules and you'll need the AFS master 5M0907357E or F.

A rear levelling sensor is a sensing unit on the rear axle which detects how much the car is loaded with cargo and adjusts the xenon beams lower not to blind oncoming traffic. You might see 2 scroll wheels next to your light switch - one for headlight level and other for instrument lights. On factory xenon cars, there is only the instrument light wheel. The AFS and level sensor automatically adjust the xenon lights.

ElBongoBoo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380918
The xenon headlights have AFS slave modules and you'll need the AFS master 5M0907357E or F.

A rear levelling sensor is a sensing unit on the rear axle which detects how much the car is loaded with cargo and adjusts the xenon beams lower not to blind oncoming traffic. You might see 2 scroll wheels next to your light switch - one for headlight level and other for instrument lights. On factory xenon cars, there is only the instrument light wheel. The AFS and level sensor automatically adjust the xenon lights.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up, this is very intriguing.
Thanks @siLc for in the info, much appreciated.

ElBongoBoo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380918
For wiring and such, would like a bundle from ali express be enough for everything?
I just did a quick google and found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32863761278.html
The only thing I can recognize I guess, is there seems to be a converter I think for the Halogen to Xenon.

Thanks again.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
This looks to be more complete as it has the headlight range control unit wiring as well. Seems to be complete wiring set : https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32954789091.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.721e1c3cEyj9eA

You will also need a rivet nut tool and rivet nuts for the rear axle leveling sensor. There's only holes on the rear axle to which you need to install rivet nuts. Otherwise not able to attach the sensor.
This kind of a tool : https://www.amazon.com/GESIPA-GBM10-RIVET-NUT-TOOL/dp/B000ZEDPRQ

ElBongoBoo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380918
This looks to be more complete as it has the headlight range control unit wiring as well. Seems to be complete wiring set : https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32954789091.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.721e1c3cEyj9eA

You will also need a rivet nut tool and rivet nuts for the rear axle leveling sensor. There's only holes on the rear axle to which you need to install rivet nuts. Otherwise not able to attach the sensor.
This kind of a tool : https://www.amazon.com/GESIPA-GBM10-RIVET-NUT-TOOL/dp/B000ZEDPRQ

Alright, thank you so much for that.

So where does all the wiring go, like what goes to what.
I'm trying to make sheet so that I don't forget how all this is held together.
Sorry for asking so much, but I am very grateful for the help

Would this sensor work? Found from the same guys that sells the wiring kit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32841397305.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.50.75207e94I7izbm

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
The AFS master module's factory location is on the right side of the center console, under the dashboard at the same level with the radio. If you remove the glovebox, you'll gain access to it.

In my experience purchasing and installing these Chinese harnesses in my B7, I can say that it takes some creativity to make it work. Buy short-term access to ErWin to get wiring schematics for your vehicle, so you'll be able to figure out what goes where.

ElBongoBoo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380918
The AFS master module's factory location is on the right side of the center console, under the dashboard at the same level with the radio. If you remove the glovebox, you'll gain access to it.

In my experience purchasing and installing these Chinese harnesses in my B7, I can say that it takes some creativity to make it work. Buy short-term access to ErWin to get wiring schematics for your vehicle, so you'll be able to figure out what goes where.

Alright I'll see if I can do that.

Thanks for all the input I've got.
I'm gonna let my mind brew a little bit and try and figure this out.

Back