2010 Passat DSG problems P1820, P1815, P0868

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
You have turned this into your own personal playground. This is absolutely not what I spent my very hard earned money on when I bought a Ross-tech product.

Are you sure? Did you check out all forms of COM on VCDS forum?

TheSchwartz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227535
I can tell you that I never asked about legal advise here and that’s all you seem to want to hand out. Thanks for giving me a headache and just about nothing else.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I can tell you that I never asked about legal advise here and that’s all you seem to want to hand out. Thanks for giving me a headache and just about nothing else.

I have not offered legal advice

TheSchwartz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227535
Clearly I’m in the wrong place. You have a good day sir.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, let me try to explain & summarize where Jack is coming from here:

• All power-train (in this case ECU and TCU) software has to be emissions certified, with the software versions and the calibration IDs (glorified checksums) on file and publicly accessible.
  • It is Jack's contention (I haven't verified this) that your TCU software (part number 02E-300-051-P, version 1979, with calibration ID 00002236) is not on file with with the relevant agencies.
  • If your TCU software is indeed not certified, and was installed by a VW dealer at some point, then VW is in a world of hurt and owes you a transmission; this is why he'd like you to get the complete service history of this car from a dealer.
  • There is no question in my mind that any dealer can pull the complete history. It is Jack's contention that they are legally required to do so for the current owner of the car. I've asked him to try to find a citation for this requirement.
  • There is of course the possibility that at some point in its life, this car's transmission was "tuned" in the aftermarket. In that case, your transmission woes are not VW's problem.

Jack is trying to help you, but even I didn't understand exactly where he was coming from until I spoke with him on the phone.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I apologize & I'm deeply sorry I upset OP when I read the CFR titles for fun and share what I question with everyone to possibly get clarity myself & while hopefully helping you is that okay?

I'm sorry!

MezTech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380032
Inspect the gearbox oil for shavings if none are found replace the mechatronic unit.

TheSchwartz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227535
I have paid for and downloaded all of the technical documents on erWin. The information contained about the DSG transmission is no different than the information available for free on the internet. There seems to be no information enclosed in these documents that describe a test for the pump, or an access port to the oiling system from outside of the transmission, so its likely that there is no way to actually test the pump. I will open the gearbox and inspect it for shavings, if they are present I will likely replace the transmission with a known good unit, if not I will likely replace the mechatronics unit. I will repost to this thread once more to report my final findings and solutions for anyone in the future that finds this information helpful.

If anyone was wondering, I have never received any replies to any of the Emails that I have sent out about EPA violations or NHTSA complaints, nor have I received anything back from VW about service history on this vehicle. I have contacted half a dozen dealerships and all of the service professionals that I have spoken to have assured me that the service history is unavailable.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have contacted half a dozen dealerships and all of the service professionals that I have spoken to have assured me that the service history is unavailable.
"Contacted" how?

-Uwe-

TheSchwartz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227535
Both telephone and e-mail. They dont email me back and on the phone they will only tell me that the only service information that is available to them is if the vehicle was in their service center. If I call VWoA they tell me that the service centers only have on file the services that they performed, it seems like the response is company wide. Is it possible that privacy laws prevent them from handing out information regarding anything other than recall services preformed?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Both telephone and e-mail. They dont email me back and on the phone they will only tell me that the only service information that is available to them is if the vehicle was in their service center. If I call VWoA they tell me that the service centers only have on file the services that they performed, it seems like the response is company wide. Is it possible that privacy laws prevent them from handing out information regarding anything other than recall services preformed?
Maybe I need to make a tin-foil hat for myself, but this is starting to smell like a cover-up on VWoA's part.

-Uwe-

TheSchwartz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227535
It’s much more likely that they simply don’t keep information on vehicles that are no longer under warranty or they don’t give out this information because of privacy laws. They did answer my questions about the air bag replacement but that’s a recall. I find it extremely unlikely that VW has instituted a company wide cover up about a single car, that or you believe that they have hundreds of passats running around with illegal software that is causing transmissions to fail and their response was to purge their systems of all of those vehicles service history. Could you imagine being a service writer at VW and one day all of the service information for vehicles with DSG transmissions disappeared, or better yet there was a statement to read to the potential asker about how the service information that you have is unavailable to them, because that’s what we’re talking about here.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Even excluding the "dieselgate" debacle, VW/Audi has been caught many times doing things they shouldn't. Multiple cars with the same VIN, selling cars that were test mules (and were non-compliant, produced to tested and crushed), failing to comply with regulations etc.

I wonder if it would be different if you "borrowed" a VIN from a local friend with a VW, and enquire at the same dealers...

TheSchwartz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227535
This is turning into a tin hat gathering.

I get the response about service history without giving out the VIN. This is NOT a conspiracy, or a coverup, it’s just not good business practice to give out information about previous owners like how often or well they actually serviced their vehicle. Honestly people, there is a very real possibility that some backyard mechanic or less than reputable shop bought a mechatronic unit off eBay or from some backwater country and installed it him or herself. There is absolutely no supporting evidence that anything fishy is going on on VWs part except for one guy on a message board saying it’s so, and your all buying it... hook, line, and sinker.

It was aliens and they took the car to Area 51 as a test mule, loaded it with fraudulent software and sold it to me while disguising themselves as a young lady attending college in New Orleans. Now they are playing some kind of candid camera joke on me. Shortly I expect Ed McMahon to show up in a minivan with a larger than life check for me to replace my transmission. GTFOH

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Honestly people, there is a very real possibility that some backyard mechanic or less than reputable shop bought a mechatronic unit off eBay or from some backwater country and installed it him or herself.
Indeed, that is entirely possible. Right now, you don't know, and neither do we Since we don't own the car, we don't have any "standing" to get the service history form VW, but I remain quite confident that they do have it, and I remain curious why they're unwilling to give it to you, as the owner of the car. But stay tuned, I'm fixing to show that service history is available for a car of comparable vintage that one of our guys does own.

There is absolutely no supporting evidence that anything fishy is going on on VWs part except for one guy on a message board saying it’s so, and your all buying it... hook, line, and sinker.
OK, you asked for advice on how to fix the car. There is a good bit of that in this thread. I understand the signal-to-noise ratio is low, but hey...

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I had problems getting the service history for my Skoda Octavia from ONE UK Skoda main dealer - they quoted privacy laws, even when I pointed out that as I am the owner I was only asking for information that I own!

Contacting another Skoda dealer got a completely different response, within 30 seconds they handed me a full service history that they had printed from the factory server.

It seems the problem is staff at dealers misunderstanding how privacy laws should be applied...

Last edited:

TheSchwartz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227535
Any luck getting that service history?

Back