B7 telephone retrofit- coding out of range error

jbain2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=44435
I'm trying to install a telephone using OE microphone and bluetooth module. I have another B7 with the same exact setup. RNS-e.

When I attempt to do the coding, I get the error that the coding is out of range. Why would that be?

Radio coding 0301655
Telephone setting 0011877

It will allow the coding for the telephone to be 0011622 (UK english). It won't allow me to enter either 4 or 8 in the Installation list which is the coding for the RNS-e.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I can post more info if needed. Thanks.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
What is the complete part number for the phone module you are trying to install?

Not all variants will accept all codings :thumbs:

jbain2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=44435
What is the complete part number for the phone module you are trying to install?

Not all variants will accept all codings :thumbs:

I did source the harness and Bluetooth module as well as the microphone from a UK seller. Part number for the module is 8P0862335M.

I’m in the US. Perhaps that’s the issue?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Last edited:

jbain2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=44435
It is, the US and EU phone modules are region specific and will not accept the coding for the other region.

You need to source a US region phone module. There's a good part number guide on audiforum.us

https://www.audiforum.us/threads/audi-bluetooth-tel-interface-part-numbers.6858/

Thanks for the reply. It’s coded for the UK now which just specifies the language. Why would I still be getting the error that the telephone isn’t installed correctly? Thanks.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Why would I still be getting the error that the telephone isn’t installed correctly?
4 or 8 don't just specify RNS-E they also specify that the car has an MFSW if you don't have an MFSW then the corerct value in the Installation List is 3 or 7 - and in a B7 where the diagnostics are via the K-line (actually the K2 but that doesn't matter) the correct value is 7.

See the relevant Ross-Tech Wiki page http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A3_(8P)_Telephone_Preparation#Coding
  • 0xxx?xx: Installation List
    • 1 = Diagnostics via CAN
    • 2 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Diagnostics via CAN
    • 3 = Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via CAN
    • 4 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via CAN
    • 5 = Diagnostics via K-Line
    • 6 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Diagnostics via K-Line
    • 7 = Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via K-Line
    • 8 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via K-Line

jbain2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=44435
4 or 8 don't just specify RNS-E they also specify that the car has an MFSW if you don't have an MFSW then the corerct value in the Installation List is 3 or 7 - and in a B7 where the diagnostics are via the K-line (actually the K2 but that doesn't matter) the correct value is 7.

See the relevant Ross-Tech Wiki page http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A3_(8P)_Telephone_Preparation#Coding

I have an RNSe with MFSW so my coding should be correct. I have another B7 with the exact same setup. Should be the same coding not including the language. That’s why I’m perplexed. Ill see if I can scoop up a North American telephone module and go from there. Beyond that, I’m at a loss. Thanks.

Back