Thread: B7 telephone retrofit- coding out of range error

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

B7 telephone retrofit- coding out of range error

I'm trying to install a telephone using OE microphone and bluetooth module. I have another B7 with the same exact setup. RNS-e.

When I attempt to do the coding, I get the error that the coding is out of range. Why would that be?

Radio coding 0301655
    Telephone setting 0011877

It will allow the coding for the telephone to be 0011622 (UK english). It won't allow me to enter either 4 or 8 in the Installation list which is the coding for the RNS-e.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I can post more info if needed. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the complete part number for the phone module you are trying to install?

Not all variants will accept all codings

3. Likes Uwe, downtime liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    What is the complete part number for the phone module you are trying to install?

Not all variants will accept all codings
    I did source the harness and Bluetooth module as well as the microphone from a UK seller. Part number for the module is 8P0862335M.

I’m in the US. Perhaps that’s the issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbain2 View Post
    I did source the harness and Bluetooth module as well as the microphone from a UK seller. Part number for the module is 8P0862335M.

I’m in the US. Perhaps that’s the issue?
    It is, the US and EU phone modules are region specific and will not accept the coding for the other region.

You need to source a US region phone module. There's a good part number guide on audiforum.us

https://www.audiforum.us/threads/aud...-numbers.6858/
    Last edited by PetrolDave; 02-16-2020 at 04:05 AM.

6. Likes Uwe, downtime liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is, the US and EU phone modules are region specific and will not accept the coding for the other region.

You need to source a US region phone module. There's a good part number guide on audiforum.us

https://www.audiforum.us/threads/aud...-numbers.6858/
    Thanks for the reply. Itís coded for the UK now which just specifies the language. Why would I still be getting the error that the telephone isnít installed correctly? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would I still be getting the error that the telephone isn’t installed correctly?
    4 or 8 don't just specify RNS-E they also specify that the car has an MFSW if you don't have an MFSW then the corerct value in the Installation List is 3 or 7 - and in a B7 where the diagnostics are via the K-line (actually the K2 but that doesn't matter) the correct value is 7.

See the relevant Ross-Tech Wiki page http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...aration#Coding

• 0xxx?xx: Installation List
      • 1 = Diagnostics via CAN
      • 2 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Diagnostics via CAN
      • 3 = Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via CAN
      • 4 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via CAN
      • 5 = Diagnostics via K-Line
      • 6 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Diagnostics via K-Line
      • 7 = Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via K-Line
      • 8 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via K-Line

9. Likes Uwe, downtime liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 or 8 don't just specify RNS-E they also specify that the car has an MFSW if you don't have an MFSW then the corerct value in the Installation List is 3 or 7 - and in a B7 where the diagnostics are via the K-line (actually the K2 but that doesn't matter) the correct value is 7.

See the relevant Ross-Tech Wiki page http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...aration#Coding
    I have an RNSe with MFSW so my coding should be correct. I have another B7 with the exact same setup. Should be the same coding not including the language. Thatís why Iím perplexed. Ill see if I can scoop up a North American telephone module and go from there. Beyond that, Iím at a loss. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill see if I can scoop up a North American telephone module and go from there.
    That will most likely fix this problem too.