Thread: 06' Jetta TDI Blue Smoke on Start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Verified VCDS User ClassicWolves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 06' Jetta TDI Blue Smoke on Start

I have a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 1.9L, 5 Speed manual with 196,000 miles roughly, that has a decent puff of blue smoke when it first cold starts. It does start abit harder at cold start, the smoke clears up within 10 seconds. Ive looked online and people say this is fairly normal. Thou i still feel abit nervous, because, this always happens. I can leave the vehicle for 30 minutes and hot start it and does the puff again. NO CEL CODES.

Are my Injector seals leaking? Could it be the valve seals? Any suggestions?

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like seals/guides to me....

Did you know Double hats on VG seals makes a big difference if going in there & to do guides or you could use a thickening agent additive like STP or Lubromoly motor honey?

Did you check sump for fuel contamination thinning oil too?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

3. Likes ClassicWolves liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At first i thought i had fuel contamination due to a strong diesel smell from the oil, i changed the oil not to long ago and i still get pretty decent puffs at startup. It doesnt seem to be using any oil as the oil level doesn't seem to be going down or up for that matter, and I've put almost 2,000 miles on current oil change. The vehicle still runs perfectly fine pretty much at all times. So it might be the valve seals?
    <A Proud Euro Vehicle Enthusiast> '06 VW Jetta TDI 1.9 PD. Engine w/ 5 Speed Manual

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    At first i thought i had fuel contamination due to a strong diesel smell from the oil, i changed the oil not to long ago and i still get pretty decent puffs at startup. It doesnt seem to be using any oil as the oil level doesn't seem to be going down or up for that matter, and I've put almost 2,000 miles on current oil change. The vehicle still runs perfectly fine pretty much at all times. So it might be the valve seals?
    Are you sure the oil level isn't fuel in it Classic Coke?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    I saved a sample of the oil, ill have it sent in so i know what exactly is going on to Blackstone Labs, might as well spend the money to be sure. But as far as i can tell, nothing about the Oil seems unordinary besides a diesel smell in the oil. I dont run the normal oil change intervals, im changing at every 7,000Mi
    <A Proud Euro Vehicle Enthusiast> '06 VW Jetta TDI 1.9 PD. Engine w/ 5 Speed Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicWolves View Post
    nothing about the Oil seems unordinary besides a diesel smell in the oil.