06' Jetta TDI Blue Smoke on Start

ClassicWolves

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319721
I have a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 1.9L, 5 Speed manual with 196,000 miles roughly, that has a decent puff of blue smoke when it first cold starts. It does start abit harder at cold start, the smoke clears up within 10 seconds. Ive looked online and people say this is fairly normal. Thou i still feel abit nervous, because, this always happens. I can leave the vehicle for 30 minutes and hot start it and does the puff again. NO CEL CODES.

Are my Injector seals leaking? Could it be the valve seals? Any suggestions?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sounds like seals/guides to me....

Did you know Double hats on VG seals makes a big difference if going in there & to do guides or you could use a thickening agent additive like STP or Lubromoly motor honey?

Did you check sump for fuel contamination thinning oil too?

ClassicWolves

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319721
At first i thought i had fuel contamination due to a strong diesel smell from the oil, i changed the oil not to long ago and i still get pretty decent puffs at startup. It doesnt seem to be using any oil as the oil level doesn't seem to be going down or up for that matter, and I've put almost 2,000 miles on current oil change. The vehicle still runs perfectly fine pretty much at all times. So it might be the valve seals?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
At first i thought i had fuel contamination due to a strong diesel smell from the oil, i changed the oil not to long ago and i still get pretty decent puffs at startup. It doesnt seem to be using any oil as the oil level doesn't seem to be going down or up for that matter, and I've put almost 2,000 miles on current oil change. The vehicle still runs perfectly fine pretty much at all times. So it might be the valve seals?

Are you sure the oil level isn't fuel in it Classic Coke?

ClassicWolves

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319721
I saved a sample of the oil, ill have it sent in so i know what exactly is going on to Blackstone Labs, might as well spend the money to be sure. But as far as i can tell, nothing about the Oil seems unordinary besides a diesel smell in the oil. I dont run the normal oil change intervals, im changing at every 7,000Mi

Back