Not open for further replies.

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Hi all,
Can vcds be used to activate items such as the instrument cluster gauges,, i have a Diagnostic tool that on some vehicles it can operate all the dash instrument gauges such as rpm, fuel, temp gauges etc,, Command the indicators, to flash, door locks to operate, fire the engine injectors , coil pack etc, cans vcds do anything like this if so how do i navigate through the menu to do it, i can see in the Measuring blocks data that i call real time if the engine is mainly running for parameters, but no activation of any componets again such as the cooling raditor fans to run, i assume it can do this sort of thing,

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
As Dana says, the module you're connected to determines the tests you may perform. Also, bear in mind, you can't run Outputs on quite a few modules whilst the engine is running. So you can't sweep the needles on the dash or run the cooling fans while the engine is running.

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Thankyou both for the replys,, yes as my regular diagnostic tool ,it tells you when you cant have the engine running, I did find the output test function later last night reading the manual,, i will have a good read over it before trying it out, I have a fault with two items one is fuel level sensder 00771 open or short to + and 00779 outside air temp open or short to +
on my autodata wiring they are linked, so i think it will be wiring fault than part, plugged in another fuel pump sender unit still the same reading for the fuel gauge,

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Hi Dana
I used the Output test function today Very Good, and fired up all the dash instruments including the Fuel Gauge, so that should confirm the wiring is good, i tried a replacement fuel pump/Sender unit not fitted,, just to test the Instrument gauge and no joy,, i have no proper information on which wires to test at the fuel pump/fuel sender unit, but two out of the 3, wires which work on the track to give a resistance to volts at the gauge seem like the fuel pump/sender unit is working as i could see the resistance change as i moved the sender float, and at approx half tank of fuel 160 0hm's and that is close to another vw caddy i scanned in Measuring blocks values, the wiring has out of the 3, including earth all good continuity and power, Will another instrument cluster with different immob, work ie just the instrument gauges, just to test fuel gauge or will the immob stop any voltage getting to the Gauge,

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Yes you can put other cluster to test gauges, Just do not start car, only turn ignition On.

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Yes you can put other cluster to test gauges, Just do not start car, only turn ignition On.

Thanks Jetta,

I did yesterday, try another instrument cluster NO JOY, that is why i asked would the immob cause any problems to the instruments,

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631

Hi Jetta,
I used output test when checking the fuel Gauge not working problem, and doing output test the Gauge worked, Then i tried another lift pump/sender unit, no fuel gauge working, The pump/sender unit i checked for resistance etc and that appears to be working fine, the wiring is all good so what is the problem?,, Tonight i tried another instrument cluster and the fuel gauge in that cluster worked fine proven that the lift pump/sender unit was good and the wiring,, My point is why have output test to test a item if it shows in the test it works where in reality it is faulty, and cost me more time diagnosing the problem,

Last edited by a moderator:

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
The processor input may be fault, the circuit board may be broken. Who knows. Output test is testing only the integrity of the board from processor to actuator, in our case fuel gauge.
What you should of have done and maybe you did do it, is check for the MVB to see actual data for fuel level and did it have any fault codes?

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Answer above is prefect explanation. When you do with VCDS output test , you telling processor what to do and means , from processor to gauge motor evrything is good. But form actual signal to processor you have problem and this could be burn or bad components in circuit board, bad connection and etc.

Last edited:

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Answer above is prefect explanation. When you do with VCDS output test , you telling processor what to do and means , from processor to gauge motor evrything is good. But form actual signal to processor you have problem and this could be burn or bad components in circuit board, bad connection and etc.

Hi Jetta/Golfi.

Are you saying that the output test does not test the wiring from the item = sender unit to the fuel gauge,, It only test at the instrument end to confirm the fuel gauge works,
The fault has re appeared, so i put the instrument cluster into another van and they work perfect everytime you put the ignition on,, I did earlier MVB on the problem caddy van and no ohms for the fuel gauge,, On the good van to speak at 1/2 tank of fuel it showed 170 ohms, i had checked the earth, voltage at the cluster pin 1 & 2 = terminal 15 & 30, fuel gauge G1 fuel sender G PINS 17 & 18 all good continuity from the cluster to the fuel sender unit, so it seems like a intermittent fault, So dropped the tank etc again and with my multimeter found that the voltage was dropping if the loom was wriggled sometimes, sometimes from .050v approx to .2.50v and sometime 0.00v so decided to cut back into the loom & rewire with a new sender fuel pump connector & touch wood it seems ok, and when i deleted the DTC it went off instead of coming strait back at you, So this info may help others, most of these vans on avearge have 100,000 miles on them and wiring gets fatigue, What ohms figures would you expect to see with the fuel sender at empty and full position, also what voltage. voltage wise i had approx .330v empty & full .020v at the sender itself with its resistor,
I also noticed there is a J285 control in the dash panel insert area which was also checked,

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are you saying that the output test does not test the wiring from the item = sender unit to the fuel gauge,, It only test at the instrument end to confirm the fuel gauge works
That's correct.

-Uwe-

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
That's correct.

-Uwe-
Hi Uwe.
The reason i ask is ross tech pdf manual says
The Output Tests function is used to test a Control Module's Electrical Outputs (and the wiring that connects it to the various devices). Output Tests under KWP-2000/CAN/UDS includes simultaneous measuring data when available from the control module in question. you see it says wiring, to the various devices,

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Yes, wiring for actuators. Like throttle body, indicators, headlight lamps and so on...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Right. Output Tests generally cannot test wiring for sensors, only for actuators.

-Uwe-

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Yes, wiring for actuators. Like throttle body, indicators, headlight lamps and so on...

A bit misleading, as it should quote in the manual, how when you use it will you know for sure that the next time it is used that it is covering the wiring as well as the component, it would comfirm things faster if the wiring was checked, then it would leave just the component and power etc, hard to say what you can list to be a genuine actuators from sensors, such as afm = sensor, & actuator as injectors, even some relays are listed as sensor and some as actuator. At least i know beware in the future and do wiring checks from one point to location with meter although it takes time,, and diagnostic kit is supposed to save time,

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hmm, the function is called Output Test. Actuators are outputs. Sensors are inputs.

A "diagnostic kit" can only enable you to do the whatever the car manufacturer designed into the car in terms of diagnostic capabilities.

-Uwe-

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Ok i will take this onboard for any other output tests,

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
The processor input may be fault, the circuit board may be broken. Who knows. Output test is testing only the integrity of the board from processor to actuator, in our case fuel gauge.

Hi Golfi.
Different vehicle but same type VW Caddy Van, 2008. And same problem no fuel gauge reading exactly same issue Dtc 00771 open or short to plus.as this previous topic, My main question is as there is a J285 In the dash unit with Output Test the Fuel Gauge works to full position then back to half tank this should confim the fuel gauge is good,? I have tried two sender units, checked as before wiring continouity all good,, I have voltage at the sender approx 2.2v at pin 17 vi/Bk pin 18 vi. 2.10v I cant yet see any breaks in the wiring,, I tried another set of GOOD instrument cluster from a 06 Van they did not work so i think maybe the J285 is working ok and i have a wiring fault, I am looking to trace the earth parth of 410 location if you know where it is it just say in main wiring harness location 1, as it maybe linked to other faults as the outside air temp 00779 Dtc, shares the same earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I didn't check the WD of the current car, but the ground for sensors comes frome j285. Including coolant level, outside temp. sensor, fuel tank etc... .
T33/36

Reactions: Uwe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back