Thread: Audi A6 2011 AllRoad TCM (Transmission Control Module) Location?

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Audi A6 2011 AllRoad TCM (Transmission Control Module) Location?

Hi

Having a problem with my car at present which we are pretty sure is down to water into the Transmission Control Module (TCM). Every other code on the car is clear but the car will not start most of the time and when it does you can't engage gear. The only code states that there is a problem communicating with the TCM. Does anyone know where it is? Some older posts suggest its under the carpet on the drivers side (right in the UK) but its not there although there is a very wet area under the carpet which is likely the source of the problem.

For info initially the error was cleared by cleaning up and drying the plug into the gearbox under the car but the water we suspect is coming down the loom from elsewhere as its returned after a few weeks. Given only the TCM is showing up in error via VagCOM we desperately need to find this unit.

Audi a6 All Road 3.0TDI 2012 model with the DSG gearbox.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think all DSG gearboxes have the TCM bolted right to the transmission; it's called a "Mechatronic".

That said, please post an Auto-Scan for context.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll try and get a scan but may have thrown some misinformation into my original post. I don't think the All Road is DSG - just a regular 7 speed s-tronic box.
    Last edited by rambo; 01-27-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats your transmission code?
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry don't understand that question?

Further update from the guy looking at it if it helps. Its now confirmed as mechatronic and all codes (I'll try to get a list) relate to not being able to communicate with the TCM. Hoping that its the 14 PIN socket has sustained some damage and maybe one of the PINs is not conecting properly giving the issue - I'm told if its behind the socket in the gearbox and into the mechatronic unit then I am into big money!!

VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo View Post
    Hi

Having a problem with my car at present which we are pretty sure is down to water into the Transmission Control Module (TCM). Every other code on the car is clear but the car will not start most of the time and when it does you can't engage gear. The only code states that there is a problem communicating with the TCM. Does anyone know where it is? Some older posts suggest its under the carpet on the drivers side (right in the UK) but its not there although there is a very wet area under the carpet which is likely the source of the problem.

For info initially the error was cleared by cleaning up and drying the plug into the gearbox under the car but the water we suspect is coming down the loom from elsewhere as its returned after a few weeks. Given only the TCM is showing up in error via VagCOM we desperately need to find this unit.

Audi a6 All Road 3.0TDI 2012 model with the DSG gearbox.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike
    Hi, please check the gearbox cooling valve N509. Check if there is water in the electrical plug. If yes, replace it. The water goes from the valve through the cable to the plug of the gearbox.

7. Likes Uwe liked this post