Adjusting Fuel Consumption Display

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=187160
I am sure that I have previously seen that it is possible to use VCDS to make corrections to the fuel consumption (eg Average MPG) that are displayed. Can anyone confirm/tell me how to do this.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I am sure that I have previously seen that it is possible to use VCDS to make corrections to the fuel consumption (eg Average MPG) that are displayed. Can anyone confirm/tell me how to do this.
It would help if we knew what car you were interested in doing that on, and if we had a scan of it, so we knew exactly what instrument cluster it has. ;)

If it's the 2019 Passat you posted data from here, then it should be the Adaptation channel:
IDE00499 -- Display correction of consumptions and operating range (%)

I would imagine the default value in this channel is 100%.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=187160
Thanks for your very prompt reply, Uwe. Yes it is the car for which I had posted the data. Will give your suggestion a try.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I haven't tinkered in that area on more modern cars but my UDS protocol Golf 6 cluster notes were:

"Display correction of consumptions and operating range" found in Adaptation, from the instrument cluster. The value should be 100% from the factory.

Increasing the adaptation value lowered the Mpg data displayed on the MFA. So, If you want to lower the average MPG displayed on the dash, try increasing the adaptation value to 102% -> 105%.

If you wanted to Increase the Mpg on the display, lower the Adaptation value to 95% -> 98%.
That's from this old thread on the VW Vortex.

I suspect your Passat will be similar but do correct me if I ASSumed incorrectly.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=187160
From your post above it seems that I may have adjusted the wrong way. I will leave this correction in for a while to see what happens but if you are correct it seems that I will have to revisit this.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=187160
Seems that Dana was correct. Having just refuelled, my MPG figure was even more exaggerated than before. Have now reset to 105%.

Reactions: Uwe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=187160
Following recent refuel the display for average mpg since refuel only over-reads by about 1mpg. Will check following next refuel before trying further adjustments.

klovatt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=392144
I always fully expect the fuel consumption display to mismatch results calculated by distance and pump.

Odometer readings can be a couple of percentage points off, but most of the impact comes from fuel volumes. EDIT: This can be variable based on tire tread wear, etc. This will impact both calculations equally, so irrelevant to my point, but it does make a difference if you wish to have accurate results.

Assumption: The car calculates using the actual volume of fuel being used.
Whereas: The pumps (at least in Canada) sell fuel by volume normalised to 15 degrees Celsius. So, if the fuel is not actually at 15C, you are not getting the volume displayed on the pump.

Consequently, modifying the display to read accurate consumption in the winter may make the summer consumption more inaccurate.

Last edited:
Back