Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: People renting VCDS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    A hammer can be used for murder, as well as hammering nails.

The examples are endless, but the point is the same.

The responsibility is on the user.
    Except when it isn't, especially when the firmware owners would clearly rather third-party diagnostic vendors avoid that sort of thing, and they budget more for their legal department in a week than Ross-Tech has global revenue in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Bruce don't you think Uwe & RT as a whole, should just consider adding a PASS-THRU interface with drivers to function?
    RT can sell it as a plugin & support it for a fee & that comports with SVM/GeKo access & specifically provided that the user gets a username and password from VAG or NASTF credentials etc. or files from VAG/ERWIN or authorized third party database?
    This way VCDS could be broadened and not break any laws using the regulations and laws in the USA to get access to what customers crave, "functionality" not electrolytes!
    I may have shared some thoughts on this topic at one point or another which I will not belabor here, other than to say +1.
    Silence gives consent.

2. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Bruce, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I can think is this and since no one wants 100 different interfaces right & with thoughts of adaptions and parameterization in mind?

Bruce don't you think Uwe & RT as a whole, should just consider adding a PASS-THRU interface with drivers to function?
    RT can sell it as a plugin & support it for a fee & that comports with SVM/GeKo access & specifically provided that the user gets a username and password from VAG or NASTF credentials etc. or files from VAG/ERWIN or authorized third party database?
    This way VCDS could be broadened and not break any laws using the regulations and laws in the USA to get access to what customers crave, "functionality" not electrolytes!
    Now someone's talking my langauge
    1 cable that does it all.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    comports with SVM/GeKo access & specifically provided that the user gets a username and password from VAG or NASTF credentials etc. or files from VAG/ERWIN or authorized third party database?
    This sounds like progress, but VAG would have an issue with such use of their IP. Also, I can imagine the dealerships complaining already about lost revenue and warranty claims when DIYers make undocumented changes, then bring the vehicles in for goodwill claims.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    With the greatest respect - the overt link that is made in your response between the suggestion for EEPROM facilities and the dubious morals of those of us that support this suggestion is well.......... at best entirely inappropriate and at worst extremely atypical for someone who has demonstrated in his past writings to be a fair minded person.

I've absolutely no doubt that a major issue for Ross-Tech is straddling the VAG tight-rope between legitimate IP and copyright theft but to label those of us that support the counter view as being motivated by the dark-side is just so wrong (and I suspect that you will agree)!!
    You are correct Don. There are times when the passion/emotion of response causes one to choose their words poorly. I accept the criticism that my choice of words was inappropriate. My apology to all for that choice.

6. Likes DV52, Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Asked for it. Said J2534 capability would help our product Jack. Then our customers could use ODIS online to do the things they cannot now do.

For reasons outside this discussion, the decision was made not to add J2534 pass through capability.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like progress, but VAG would have an issue with such use of their IP. Also, I can imagine the dealerships complaining already about lost revenue and warranty claims when DIYers make undocumented changes, then bring the vehicles in for goodwill claims.

Ah no because Pass-Thru only permits authorized factory functions when using the OEM available tool.

VCDS isn't used just an alleged supported RT TBD hardware cable EDIC that comports with VAG.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

9. Likes NitrousOxide, Bruce liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide View Post
    I don't think they will have an issue provided all work is done through their interface - ODIS online. ODIS will not give all that is suggested here. Some of the tweaks people desire will not be supported by their tool. You would be correct that they will not be pleased with those EEPROM mods...

Post Thanks / Like
    Asked for it. Said J2534 capability would help our product Jack. Then our customers could use ODIS online to do the things they cannot now do.

For reasons outside this discussion, the decision was made not to add J2534 pass through capability.
    I understand that, but but but if a shop has to do work, they have to buy the tool whether from you or another supplier.
    My Actia XS was like $1500 USD way back when so in comparison to other PASS THRU interfaces it would seem to me there is room to save people money and make money.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

12. Likes Bruce, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

At that time, yes. However, that could change at some point in the future.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    At that time, yes. However, that could change at some point in the future.

-Uwe-
    This is what I love about you Uwe, you are with a valid moral compass of integrity, that stands up for your convictions to stand up to or for what you think is right and smart enough to avoid an unwinnable fight , most of all you are "open minded"!

I'm still trying to learn to not hit the bees nest & because of my past abuse endured. It " IS " what in some cases will make me consider a fall on ones sword to protect someone or something I care about & " IF " I have too & to bring light to Justice & sometimes Justice is not cut like I'd expect.

Just what are IF and IS?

01001000,0x01101001,0x01100100,0x01100100,0x011001 01,0x01101110,0x00100000,0x01001101,0x01100101,0x0 1110011,0x01110011,0x01100001,0x01100111,0x0110010 1,0x01110011,0x00100000,0x01010010,0x01100101,0x01 110011,0x01101001,0x01100100,0x01100101,0x00100000 ,0x01101001,0x01101110,0x00100000,0x01010110,0x011 01001,0x01100100,0x01100101,0x01101111

15. Likes D-Dub, PetrolDave liked this post