People renting VCDS

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
J2534 pass through

My understanding, which is by no means expert (far from it), is that J2534 pass through (or equivalent) may actually become a requirement, simply due to increasing "VAG CLOUD" and EV focused diagnostics going forward with every new model year.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bruce

Asked for it. Said J2534 capability would help our product Jack. Then our customers could use ODIS online to do the things they cannot now do.

For reasons outside this discussion, the decision was made not to add J2534 pass through capability.
At that time, yes. However, that could change at some point in the future.

-Uwe-

There was nothing negative implied in my remark... just once again trying to show that Ross-Tech does and has always considered the market and the needs.

In all things, we should be ready to change our previous decisions when new information comes to light. Glad to hear we are still open to the idea of changing. Wouldn't it be cool if we could make an interface that would allow both ODIS and VCDS to be live and connected at the same time? My EE head is saying - "dream on. The hardware will not like two masters hanging on its pins. One master is bad enough!" :D

But in another thread, Jack encouraged dreaming and innovation... so consider that a dream...

My other dream - have VCDS control the interface to ODIS - letting VCDS pass through the ODIS commands without making the user actually use ODIS. I see lots of problems with that and I hear Eric about ready to stick my head in the guillotine. :D But again, just dreaming here... reality determines what, if anything, can be done.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
There was nothing negative implied in my remark... just once again trying to show that Ross-Tech does and has always considered the market and the needs.

In all things, we should be ready to change our previous decisions when new information comes to light. Glad to hear we are still open to the idea of changing. Wouldn't it be cool if we could make an interface that would allow both ODIS and VCDS to be live and connected at the same time? My EE head is saying - "dream on. The hardware will not like two masters hanging on its pins. One master is bad enough!" :D

But in another thread, Jack encouraged dreaming and innovation... so consider that a dream...

My other dream - have VCDS control the interface to ODIS - letting VCDS pass through the ODIS commands without making the user actually use ODIS. I see lots of problems with that and I hear Eric about ready to stick my head in the guillotine. :D But again, just dreaming here... reality determines what, if anything, can be done.

I support Eric's position, no ....not for your death penalty, however, well because he is also conscientious and a reasonable person that is open minded! :p

I think the 3 of you guys make a great moral compass Trinity in the Church of RT!

I think Shaun ( Dave Mustane of RT ) would be up to the task..........:rolleyes:

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
Okay so it sounds to me that across the board the principle of a pass thru being added is a possibility, dare I say it probability.

I shall wait for the good news...

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
It's the greatest paradox for the community. If RT were to implement EEPROM - we know it would be implemented after the most extensive testing and event logging for the end user - but it will never happen. I've 'experimented' with EEPROM reading programs on my test modules for years, not because I want to do anything commercial or nefarious, just because I'm interested in the way things work. There are very few of the other tools available that I would actually trust to do what I require.

I got one of the tools mentioned above over five years ago, and before delving into the EEPROM side of things, I thought I would try an innocuous function of preventing my SatNav from ejecting the DVD. Just a single setting in Adaptation of the module, something I've done many times with VCDS. So when I activated it with the other tool, I heard a very strange noise coming from the boot. Popped the boot open, noise still coming from the area that the SatNav resides so when I opened the side compartment, the DVD reader was trying to actually eject the DVD. :eek:

So I lost trust in the tool, not really knowing what it is doing in the background when all I wanted it to do was set an adaptation channel. Needless to say the subscription hasn't been renewed and it is just lying in the cupboard now.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Okay so it sounds to me that across the board the principle of a pass thru being added is a possibility, dare I say it probability.

I did not read "probability" in Uwe's statement. I read "possibility" based on real perceived market and technical need. To simplify, my understanding of Uwe's statement: there are no promises to add J2534 pass through.

Back