Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: ABS - VCDS accessing ABS controller module - what is turned off?

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live right next door to you in PA. Lots of salt...……..

3. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't but help not to feel your pain!
    Thank you for sharing it with me it has made us stronger.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well here are the end results...…..

When I first had this ABS problem. I pulled the wheels, all brake pads has 10+ mm thickness and the rotors on the outside looked fine with 100% of the pads wiping the rotor. You can not see the inner side face of the rotor due to the complete coverage of the rotor with the dust shield and caliper. I assumed that since the inner brake pads were 10+ mm and the outside rotor face was wearing properly, the inside face of the rotor should be the same. VCDS indicated that my right rear wheel speed during my braking tests was different from the other 3 wheels. So I decided to look at that RR wheel further. I pulled the caliper to look at the inner rotor face and it was ruined. Looked at the other LR rotor inner face and it was ruined also.

I replaced the rear rotors and brake pads and the early ABS braking problem went away. All braking is back to normal. So a warning to everyone inspecting their rotors you really need to pull the Audi Q5 caliper to look at the inner rotor face. It is impossible to see the face without removing the caliper.

Some information on the rear rotor and brake pad replacement. I purchased Zimmerman Z coated rear rotors (2) and Brembo ceramic brake pads (rear set) from EuroupaParts.com for $172 plus $22 Fedex shipping from NJ to PA. Great brake pedal feel and close to zero dust. Took about an hour of my labor to change rotors and pads, using VCDS to retract the EPB.

Here is the photo of the rear rotor inner faces, outside faces looked perfectly fine. I live in PA with a lot of salted roads and the inner rotor faces just don't get washed off due to the dust shields as much as the outside rotor faces. This is just a case of major rotor corrosion.

Last edited by Fussybob; 02-12-2020 at 03:12 PM.

6. Likes Eric, Jack@European_Parts, NZDubNurd, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well here are the end results...…..

When I first had this ABS problem. I pulled the wheels, all brake pads has 10+ mm thickness and the rotors on the outside looked fine with 100% of the pads wiping the rotor. You can not see the inner side face of the rotor due to the complete coverage of the rotor with the dust shield and caliper. I assumed that since the inner brake pads were 10+ mm and the outside rotor face was wearing properly, the inside face of the rotor should be the same. VCDS indicated that my right rear wheel speed during my braking tests was different from the other 3 wheels. So I decided to look at that RR wheel further. I pulled the caliper to look at the inner rotor face and it was ruined. Looked at the other LR rotor inner face and it was ruined also.

I replaced the rear rotors and brake pads and the early ABS braking problem went away. All braking is back to normal. So a warning to everyone inspecting their rotors you really need to pull the Audi Q5 caliper to look at the inner rotor face. It is impossible to see the face without removing the caliper.

Some information on the rear rotor and brake pad replacement. I purchased Zimmerman Z coated rear rotors (2) and Brembo ceramic brake pads (rear set) from EuroupaParts.com for $172 plus $22 Fedex shipping from NJ to PA. Great brake pedal feel and close to zero dust. Took about an hour of my labor to change rotors and pads, using VCDS to retract the EPB.

Here is the photo of the rear rotor inner faces, outside faces looked perfectly fine. I live in PA with a lot of salted roads and the inner rotor faces just don't get washed off due to the dust shields as much as the outside rotor faces. This is just a case of major rotor corrosion.

Please did you take notice how the rotors say "Germany" however, not "MADE in GERMANY"?
    I have some great salt recommendations for your wounds large fragment...........

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...l=1#post189799

Do you believe if I speculate a brine corrosion ingress is the most likely cause?

That wheel has to be hotter with a temp gun no?

In addition to what Uwe aforementioned don't forget the sliders and pad contact surface's!
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 02-12-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    They were the original 2014 Q5 factory rotors, where they were made, who knows!

Post Thanks / Like
    They were the original 2014 Q5 factory rotors, where they were made, who knows!

Still in style?