Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ABS - VCDS accessing ABS controller module - what is turned off?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    As an engineer I'm sure you are aware that the ABS systems are not fairing well at NHTSA huh?
    Further with those credentials couldn't you just ask your friends at Bosch and ETAS, to let you review the files stack using INCA?
    I haven't done any communications with those automotive guys in 15-20 years, no contacts now. I went to the other side 20 years ago, Aerospace/Defense before retiring. I'm 70, I just don't need questionable brake issues at this point in my life.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont you think whoever is responsible for the design of single hard wire ultrasonic welds in controllers, sensors at Bosch should be hung up side down & in hot sun by their balls brushed with honey & in proximity to known killer bees nest?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen: Let's not turn this into a clash of personalities.

Bob: You still haven't described the activation itself in any detail at all.

Have you looked at the values from the acceleration sensors to see if they're plausible? I'd look at the longitudinal one first.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Dont you think whoever is responsible for the design of single hard wire ultrasonic welds in controllers, sensors at Bosch should be hung up side down & in hot sun by their balls brushed with honey & in proximity to known killer bees nest?
    It's all in the name of costs! I was involved when Audi/VW had massive ignition coil failures in 2002 (cost them $100M+). My company did not supply the ignition coil electronics at that time but we knew what the major cause was. We had a replacement part which solved their issue. It cost 10 cents more per ignition coil than the current supplier component. They wouldn't go for it, cost too much, said they would work with current supplier to fix the issue, they failed revision after revision, lost a ton of money. They just wouldn't spend 40 cents on a 4 cylinder, 60 cents o a 6 cylinder, etc......

6. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Gentlemen: Let's not turn this into a clash of personalities.

Bob: You still haven't described the activation itself in any detail at all.

Have you looked at the values from the acceleration sensors to see if they're plausible? I'd look at the longitudinal one first.

-Uwe-
    I will do that. I did data log one, I'll revisit it. I remember seeing the acceptable value range somewhere with all my reading on the net. Do you know where those acceptable values may be located?

Maybe I should just get a new sensor module, fairly cheap, easy to replace. I'm not positive but I may have read that if I change the sensor module that I may need recoding, and at least recalibration of the ABS module?

Post Thanks / Like
    About fucking time we get a guy here that has a conscience with good engineering judgement!
    Bob welcome to the club!
    This just kills me when I look at this video.

Oh on coils they could of absolutely used better shit in blueprint or ground wire size too?
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all in the name of costs!
    You don't say, was this why diesel gate too?
    Seriously though do you see this type of welds in avionics?
    Doesn't this design run crazy interference in dielectric smothering when measuring low range pulse signals, not to mention sporadic connectivity during resonance fracture?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Fussybob,
    On a practical point, the symptoms you describe are typical of a wheel speed sensor signal drop out, in older vehicles a cracked reluctor ring or sensor air gap. In your case a possible wheel bearing magnetic reluctor starting to fail. I would be trying to determine this with a log of all WSS or better still logging with a 4 channel oscilloscope.
    Regards HMC

11. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bob,

Did you know there is a TSB and two times compete superseded part number for your ABS with SVM maybe ask VAG about that?

Part Information
    PART NUMBER ILLUSTRATION DESCRIPTION REMARK MODEL RRP
    * 8R0 614 517 CJ 614-010 ABS-unit
    8R0 614 517 CH
    8R0 907 379 AM
    SVM
    (6-55) PR-A8U+1AT on request Not available
    Dropped: Dec 1, 2016 (EKZ: M)
    Supersession
    PART NUMBER
    8R0 614 517 DR ABS-unit

You "Smiling Bob" yet!
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 01-23-2020 at 07:41 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HMC View Post
    Hi Fussybob,
    On a practical point, the symptoms you describe are typical of a wheel speed sensor signal drop out, in older vehicles a cracked reluctor ring or sensor air gap. In your case a possible wheel bearing magnetic reluctor starting to fail. I would be trying to determine this with a log of all WSS or better still logging with a 4 channel oscilloscope.
    Regards HMC
    I have logged the wheel speed sensor data, all 4 look good, track each other on straight road. No drop outs. In the beginning I was hoping it was a wheel sensor and easy fix.

I need to say it again - when VCDS is hooked up and accessing the ABS controller I don’t have any early ABS activation issues. ABS, brakes work perfectly fine. ABS is not disabled when using ABS as I can get it to operate by braking on loose gravel.

I do have a portable battery powered 2-channel memory o-scope which I could use to monitor wheel sensors for dropouts but that is going to take some time and effort to tap into each wheel sensor wiring connector.