ABS - VCDS accessing ABS controller module - what is turned off?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Okay just check history....

I thought we covered the when in diagnosis mode and maybe is just masking another thing happening you describe?

Fussybob

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25988
Okay just check history....

I thought we covered the when in diagnosis mode and maybe is just masking another thing happening you describe?

This is the main purpose of this long post. What is turned off in the ABS/Braking Control System(s) when in diagnostic mode?
When, and if, that is determined it just may point to where my problem might be.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
This I guess would depend on what is disseminated in the RTFB or looking at the flash or project file from OEM relationship you have?
Since your sure its fixed in this mode when VCDS is plugged in & in session, why not drive with it at all times?:p

Did you or do you have access to the DTS project files?

Fussybob

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25988
This I guess would depend on what is disseminated in the RTFB or looking at the flash or project file from OEM relationship you have?
Since your sure its fixed in this mode when VCDS is plugged in & in session, why not drive with it at all times?:p

Did you or do you have access to the DTS project files?

I don't know what DTS project files are?

Fussybob

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25988
Update...……

I was told that you can access the 4 wheel speed sensors from the Transmission controller using VCDS. I doing so you don't have the problems of turning off traction control and whatever in the ABS controller.

I ran my hill braking tests with the Trans wheel sensor data, had early ABS activation take place each time - YES!. Looking at the Trans controller WSS data (which doesn't match the ABS controller WSS data) the Right Rear wheel is faster than the other 3 wheels during the braking ABS activation. The Right Rear brake pads are about 6-7 mm thick, outside rotor surface nice and shiny with good pad contact, same of the Left Rear. It is very difficult to see the rotor inner surface as it is completely covered by the dust shield and caliper, but with some effort I could just see that the RR rotor inner surface had only about 3/4" of brake pad contact . The LR had a few inches. Both wheels hand turned with the same light resistance. Thus new pads/rotors being installed and hopefully this solves the problem, but who knows...…….

0582B295C13F473DB4905280BD65CC66.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Both wheels hand turned with the same light resistance. Thus new pads/rotors being installed and hopefully this solves the problem, but who knows...…….
Please do update this thread.

And please make sure whoever installs those pads & rotors checks the wheelbearings, ABS sensors, and whatever passes for ABS "encoder rings" back there while it's all accessible.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Do you believe if I speculate a brine corrosion ingress is the most likely cause?

That wheel has to be hotter with a temp gun no?

In addition to what Uwe aforementioned don't forget the sliders and pad contact surface's!

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Update...……

I was told that you can access the 4 wheel speed sensors from the Transmission controller using VCDS. I doing so you don't have the problems of turning off traction control and whatever in the ABS controller.

I ran my hill braking tests with the Trans wheel sensor data, had early ABS activation take place each time - YES!. Looking at the Trans controller WSS data (which doesn't match the ABS controller WSS data) the Right Rear wheel is faster than the other 3 wheels during the braking ABS activation. The Right Rear brake pads are about 6-7 mm thick, outside rotor surface nice and shiny with good pad contact, same of the Left Rear. It is very difficult to see the rotor inner surface as it is completely covered by the dust shield and caliper, but with some effort I could just see that the RR rotor inner surface had only about 3/4" of brake pad contact . The LR had a few inches. Both wheels hand turned with the same light resistance. Thus new pads/rotors being installed and hopefully this solves the problem, but who knows...…….

0582B295C13F473DB4905280BD65CC66.jpg

Wait, something is not logical here... Speeds of wheels may differ (vertical axis of graph), if, for example, tires are not inflated evenly. But how the division in time (horizontal axis) is possible? If You are keeping steering wheel straight and SAS is calibrated correctly.

Those in the graph are not raw values from VSS, those are calculated values after raw data was passed through some algorithm...

Fussybob

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25988
Wait, something is not logical here... Speeds of wheels may differ (vertical axis of graph), if, for example, tires are not inflated evenly. But how the division in time (horizontal axis) is possible? If You are keeping steering wheel straight and SAS is calibrated correctly.

Those in the graph are not raw values from VSS, those are calculated values after raw data was passed through some algorithm...

Tire were inflated to 32 psi each. The Right Rear rotor inner face is damaged. Thus poor braking with the RR on moderate stop with ABS activated. I need to replace both rotors and pads. I will see what happens after that, hopefully I will replace those parts next week.

Fussybob

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25988
I live right next door to you in PA. Lots of salt...……..

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I can't but help not to feel your pain!
Thank you for sharing it with me it has made us stronger.

Fussybob

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25988
Well here are the end results...…..

When I first had this ABS problem. I pulled the wheels, all brake pads has 10+ mm thickness and the rotors on the outside looked fine with 100% of the pads wiping the rotor. You can not see the inner side face of the rotor due to the complete coverage of the rotor with the dust shield and caliper. I assumed that since the inner brake pads were 10+ mm and the outside rotor face was wearing properly, the inside face of the rotor should be the same. VCDS indicated that my right rear wheel speed during my braking tests was different from the other 3 wheels. So I decided to look at that RR wheel further. I pulled the caliper to look at the inner rotor face and it was ruined. Looked at the other LR rotor inner face and it was ruined also.

I replaced the rear rotors and brake pads and the early ABS braking problem went away. All braking is back to normal. So a warning to everyone inspecting their rotors you really need to pull the Audi Q5 caliper to look at the inner rotor face. It is impossible to see the face without removing the caliper.

Some information on the rear rotor and brake pad replacement. I purchased Zimmerman Z coated rear rotors (2) and Brembo ceramic brake pads (rear set) from EuroupaParts.com for $172 plus $22 Fedex shipping from NJ to PA. Great brake pedal feel and close to zero dust. Took about an hour of my labor to change rotors and pads, using VCDS to retract the EPB.

Here is the photo of the rear rotor inner faces, outside faces looked perfectly fine. I live in PA with a lot of salted roads and the inner rotor faces just don't get washed off due to the dust shields as much as the outside rotor faces. This is just a case of major rotor corrosion.

A370B63210144A0C82D75A6D1BC79B29.jpg

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well here are the end results...…..

When I first had this ABS problem. I pulled the wheels, all brake pads has 10+ mm thickness and the rotors on the outside looked fine with 100% of the pads wiping the rotor. You can not see the inner side face of the rotor due to the complete coverage of the rotor with the dust shield and caliper. I assumed that since the inner brake pads were 10+ mm and the outside rotor face was wearing properly, the inside face of the rotor should be the same. VCDS indicated that my right rear wheel speed during my braking tests was different from the other 3 wheels. So I decided to look at that RR wheel further. I pulled the caliper to look at the inner rotor face and it was ruined. Looked at the other LR rotor inner face and it was ruined also.

I replaced the rear rotors and brake pads and the early ABS braking problem went away. All braking is back to normal. So a warning to everyone inspecting their rotors you really need to pull the Audi Q5 caliper to look at the inner rotor face. It is impossible to see the face without removing the caliper.

Some information on the rear rotor and brake pad replacement. I purchased Zimmerman Z coated rear rotors (2) and Brembo ceramic brake pads (rear set) from EuroupaParts.com for $172 plus $22 Fedex shipping from NJ to PA. Great brake pedal feel and close to zero dust. Took about an hour of my labor to change rotors and pads, using VCDS to retract the EPB.

Here is the photo of the rear rotor inner faces, outside faces looked perfectly fine. I live in PA with a lot of salted roads and the inner rotor faces just don't get washed off due to the dust shields as much as the outside rotor faces. This is just a case of major rotor corrosion.

fod-control-signs-risk-series.png

Please did you take notice how the rotors say "Germany" however, not "MADE in GERMANY"?
I have some great salt recommendations for your wounds large fragment........... :rolleyes:

1558169.jpg

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...-is-turned-off&p=189799&viewfull=1#post189799

Do you believe if I speculate a brine corrosion ingress is the most likely cause?

That wheel has to be hotter with a temp gun no?

In addition to what Uwe aforementioned don't forget the sliders and pad contact surface's!

Last edited:

Fussybob

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25988
They were the original 2014 Q5 factory rotors, where they were made, who knows!

Back