Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: need a little help or a lot i mean

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't match them via SKC anymore, from MY2007 onwards.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John ler View Post
    hi Uwe, long story but here go's
    Thanks for posting the story. This car looks to be a basket case, but at least now people are not scratching their heads, muttering "Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot?"

Quote Originally Posted by John ler View Post
    how do i add a new scan with the original cluster in the car
    Just paste it into a new Reply to this thread.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just going to warn you up front, that just because a wiring loom looks similar or was from a similar model - doesn't mean it will work straight away. There's no such thing as a standard wiring loom; for a number of years now, each wiring loom gets built to each car. Then Dana will tell you all about 'coding bridges' which are hard wired links deep within a wiring loom that sets some basic coding for airbags, ABS and suchlike. Each pin of the plug-couplers will have to be belled out to confirm the coding.

You have quite a 'summer project' on the go then.

5. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replays guys , I'll carry on and I'm in no rush at all to get the car on the road , but I hope I can get some help from you guys , I noticed the looms where different as this loom had more wires in some sockets /plugs and less in others ie dsg/ sunroof and Bose , I can get the code link up when I press to post reply , thanks again

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since my other post I have fitted the old gateway and other modules and the old clocks/clusters thinking I have nothing to lose and the cluster still works, it's no longer saying safe on then as they are coded to the car, and the faults are no where near the amount of the scan I put up , and I have managed to communicate with the engine Ecu with the old items fitted back on the car , the clusters are damaged but there's something that's working on them, but like I say I can't put a new scan up , most of the things on the scan I no and understand why they are there , ie central locking anything to do with doors etc , it's the main bits like airbags Ecu and why I can't turn engine over , can someone tell me how the dsg works. when starting I mean I no you put your foot on the brake but what tells the car you have your foot on the pedal ?? It must be something to do with the brake light switch or pressure switch and abs ?? Please can someone tell me to help me understand, also how can I bleed the brakes do I need to work the abs or can I use a pressure bleed thanks

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    Then Dana will tell you all about 'coding bridges' which are hard wired links deep within a wiring loom that sets some basic coding for airbags, ABS and suchlike. Each pin of the plug-couplers will have to be belled out to confirm the coding.
    Zenerdiode (really useful electronic device!): Your reference to "coding bridges" could explain something that has bothered me for some time about my understanding of VW wiring diagrams. I have many issues with VW's wiring nomenclature but is the symbol in the pic below an example of how VW shows a "coding bridge"? I've noticed that these "loom splices" are widely used throughout the cars that I have looked-at, but their purpose has escaped-me until I read your comment

Last edited by DV52; 01-28-2015 at 06:13 AM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

9. Likes Zenerdiode, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed on some points of both looms that there where wires taged: joined together with little alloy crimped connectors , , I take it now there's a reason for that now?? And where people have said that each loom is designed for each car , I've basicly changed the spec of this car to the spec of the car that tge loom has come from ie made my car a better spec , by adding things to the car that wasn't on it from factory, I bought everything that belonged to this loom, the only thing I have done is by making a wire loom for the dsg gearbox and added a loom for my sunroof , for the roof I traced my old loom down to where the pins ran and added them into the connectors / blocks in the same place as my loom ( old loom ) I could have used my old loom and repaired it but it was to short with it been a left hand drive car

Could anyone point me in the right direction to where I can find out how the foot on the brake pedal will allow me to turn the car over, so I can try and understand what's wrong with mine , and any thoughts on the above text with me adding the spec from the dinner car , many thanks john

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone one can help me on understanding the brake pedal on how it works for tge staring on a dsg please

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John,

No offense intended, but this is a borderline insane project you have here.

Wiring
    The "bridges" are not nessacarely for coding purposes alone. Imagine you have a common signal, that you wish to split up into three "directions". Let's just say the folding side mirror function. Rather than doing a poor job of it, by putting two separate wires into one contact pin, you simply bridge the output internally, so that the result will be a wiring pin on the switch for each wire.

Instrument Cluster Milage
    Using "official" methods, you can only set the milage on a cluster when it has less than 100 km on the milage counter in the actual cluster, and this procedure can be done no more than five times. There are "probably" ways to overwrite the milage though, that people who are into milage-cheating on used cars would know about. I personally have no idea if it's possible on VAG cars, but when it is on pretty much all other cars, why not?

DSG - Starting
    I owned a car with DSG ('05), and there is - to the best of my knowledge - no absolute requirement to apply foot brake when starting, as long as you are in a "starting approved gear/situation", like P or N. I can even tell you, that with a DSG it's possible to turn off the car when driving, and restart the engine (still while driving) while the gear lever is in D and no brake is applied. In order to restore power to the wheels though, you'll have to shift out of D and then back in. Only if you start the car in gears R, D or S will it request that you apply the foot brake firmly.

Should there be a requirement for brake pedal, it will be monitored by either the dual-contact-switch that is used for the brakelight or the brake pedal position sensor, that is used for the emergency brake assistant and the ESP system along with many other things. In manual transmission cars, Volkswagen achieves the "Depress Clutch to start" condition using a clutch pedal postion sensor rather than just a simple switch, to ensure the clutch is actually far enough down to avoid allowing a clutched in start. Same could easily be the case for the DSG, that it requires you to press the brake pedal far enough, that it's beyond the "engage gear command"-point of the DSG controller. I also recall, that the green "Foot on Brake" icon would not go out just from touching the brake, you'd have to actually press it a bit.

It would really be helpful, if you post a new and more "up to date" autoscan, as you state that many things have been solved. You simply do as the first time; Reply to Thread, click the "CODE" button in the tool bar (symbol is like a #) and place the marker between the [CODE] and [/CODE] tags, and press CTRL+V at the same time. If you can't do that, maybe post the autoscan "normally" and hope that a friendly moderator will edit it into code tags for you.

The reason I'm asking for it, is that although you say you understand most of the errors remaining, you may not fully understand how they influence the car. For instace, in relation to the DSG, communication issues on the CAN drive bus would be an issue, as would an invalid/non-existant signal from the Gear Lever Position Sensor, which showed an error in your earlier scan. VAG cars are very "networked" cars, which is how they work so smart, and that also means that any given component could be used in an array of different systems, that might not nessacarely appear logical at first.

When you post the autoscan, you can also check the measuring blocks of the DSG control module, and verify that the locking button on the lever is read correctly, and that the position of the gear selector is read correctly. It should also allow you to test the brake pedal position condition, the shift paddles (if so equipped) and so on.

Kind regards,
    Nicolai
    Last edited by Nicoleise; 02-18-2015 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Forgot Noparse tags

13. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply, not had chance to look at the car Mitch, but I've just noticed that the earth strap of the engine/gearbox was not earthed out and unbolted, would this cause any faults on a scan, the faults I understand are like central locking and with it been a left hand drive car, I can't just swap the controllers over from one side to the other, so these wire connectors are not connected, for this reason, the millage can be corrected by a few guys over here, which is good as I want the millage to be correct,

I'll put another scan up, I've had to make a dsg gearbox wire loom, and followed diagrams on the internet, I was just hoping some of you guys might no this diagram and help me out so I no if it's correct, as I must say you guys seem to no more than some uk guys, this is why I like reading the forums from the USA as there's a lot more to learn , thanks for your advice